PDA

View Full Version : Remelting/pouring/molding bullet lube question

Patrick L
08-09-2005, 12:28 PM
Here's a good one. Can I remold solid sticks of bullet lube into hollow sticks ? I have been using Tamarack High Temp Lube for years. A friend, who no longer casts, heard me say this and GAVE me about a dozen sticks of it. Problem is it is in solid stick form. I was thinking of melting it in a double boiler and pouring it into a mold that would form a hollow stick. But what would you use for a mold ?

Or, could I bore or cut a hole in the stick ? Jury rig a tool along the lines of an apple core remover ? The lube is soft enough.

Suggestions ?

Maven
08-09-2005, 12:32 PM
You can make a mold for hollow core lube sticks, but why bother when you can pour the molten lube directly into your lube-sizer's reservoir with a ladle?

StarMetal
08-09-2005, 12:41 PM
Maven

Probably because if you make a fair size batch it may not be good reheating and melting it over and over to pour it into the luber/sizer. Plus ready made is faster.

Joe

Leftoverdj
08-09-2005, 12:51 PM
Drill one for an experiment. You can always melt it down later.

carpetman
08-09-2005, 01:23 PM
Unless I were making lube to sell,I see no need to mold it. Glob it into the luber and go to it--the luber will turn it into whatever shape it needs to be. If too hard to glob(scientific term for being globable)you probably need a heater anyways and the heater is going to take care of any shape issues.

wills
08-09-2005, 01:55 PM
Here's a good one. Can I remold solid sticks of bullet lube into hollow sticks ? I have been using Tamarack High Temp Lube for years. A friend, who no longer casts, heard me say this and GAVE me about a dozen sticks of it. Problem is it is in solid stick form. I was thinking of melting it in a double boiler and pouring it into a mold that would form a hollow stick. But what would you use for a mold ?

Or, could I bore or cut a hole in the stick ? Jury rig a tool along the lines of an apple core remover ? The lube is soft enough.

Suggestions ?

Gussy does it all the time. If I recall correctly he uses 1” pvc pipe stuck into holes drilled into a board, ¼ inch dowels in the center make the holes in the middle of the lube stick. Scroll down the main page to get to the link to his website, castingstuff.

45nut
08-09-2005, 03:03 PM
Another option is to simply slice that stick down the middle and slide the halves into the reservoir. I would think this should work since there is much more room between the stick size and the chamber of the machine. I was given a few solid sticks myself and planned to do just that. if too tight maybe a simple groove to make room for the rod,keep that minimal amount removed for lubing your molds?

Patrick L
08-09-2005, 03:15 PM
Thanks Wills ! I think Gussy's setup is the way to go !

utk
08-09-2005, 04:51 PM
Or just melt ONE stick at a time when needed and pour into the luber machine...

Urban

buck1
08-10-2005, 12:39 AM
Its just like cutting up vegies! Cut it up and drop it in. It takes about 1 min to do. Works fine for me.
Or melt it in a jar in the Microwave ,and pour it in the lubesizer, make sure to spill some on...your loading bench, the chair, and the floor, Like I do!!
....Buck

swheeler
08-10-2005, 02:29 AM
Patrick L; I re-use the tubes that my Tamarack lube comes in. I pour the melted lube into the tube, standing on end, on one of the caps, insert a 3/8 in wooden dowel, hold just a second it starts to set up, when the lube is semi-hard I rotate the dowel and remove it, place the other cap on and put away until needed. Scooter

swheeler
08-10-2005, 02:36 AM
forgot the pic

imashooter2
08-10-2005, 06:31 AM
A friend uses a yard sale coffee percolator for an elegant solution. Melts the lube, has a convenient spout for pouring it into the sizer reservoir and is even a dust free container to store the excess. I'm still looking for one.