PDA

View Full Version : Chamber reamers specifically for boolits?

Marlin Junky
04-16-2013, 03:45 PM
Is there anyone out there that specializes in making chamber reamers for cartridges intended to specifically shoot castings?

MJ

Fluxed
04-16-2013, 05:16 PM
Any good chamber reamer maker can do this.
You'll have to figure it out for your self and have the maker make a reamer to the dimensions you want.

376Steyr
04-16-2013, 05:31 PM
Do you want a reamer for the entire chamber and throat, or maybe just a throating reamer?

Marlin Junky
04-16-2013, 06:47 PM
Do you want a reamer for the entire chamber and throat, or maybe just a throating reamer?

The former... for a .257R with tightened up neck and throat diameters (with respect to SAAMI dim's) and a 1º throat.

MJ

shooter93
04-16-2013, 06:55 PM
I make a dummy round MJ and send it to the reamer maker with the tolerences and angles I want to use. My Gunmaker friend actaully sends the stuff and talks with them if necessary. And gnarally we show modificarions on a Cartridge drawing and then they email back to make sure.

elginrunner
04-16-2013, 06:58 PM
I'd suggest calling Dave at Pacific tool and gauge. He is THE BEES KNEES when it comes to a special reamer. I've ordered a few tight neck turkeys for J-words, and he has always been very knowledgeable and very patient.

Marlin Junky
04-16-2013, 07:34 PM
I'd suggest calling Dave at Pacific tool and gauge. He is THE BEES KNEES when it comes to a special reamer. I've ordered a few tight neck turkeys for J-words, and he has always been very knowledgeable and very patient.

Here's PT&G's reamer page:

http://shop.pacifictoolandgauge.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=1&zenid=mq86ou43tj9ht9p7faj3jsc8m0

I think the Live Pilot type is what I should be considering, correct?

MJ

shooter93
04-16-2013, 08:04 PM
Pacific is who we use almost always MJ. They are very accomodating.

Marlin Junky
04-17-2013, 01:21 PM
Pacific is who we use almost always MJ. They are very accomodating.

They'll be the outfit I use but I have a couple questions first.

Is a "finishing reamer" all one needs to cut a chamber in a barrel blank?

It looks like I can spec the customizations (deviations) from SAAMI .257 Roberts chamber dimensions here:

http://shop.pacifictoolandgauge.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_135_147&products_id=1006.

I need to have some specific documentation that PT&G can work from.

MJ

elginrunner
04-17-2013, 01:39 PM
I use a live pilot, as it will bore the truest, with the proper bushing being used in the bore. A finishing reamer will cut a blank fine, it's just harder on the reamer. In other words, don't expect to chamber 100 rifles with just a finisher.

I have solid pilot reamers for hunting rifles, I use piloted reamers when I plan on chasing bug holes 8-)

Marlin Junky
04-17-2013, 01:47 PM
I use a live pilot, as it will bore the truest, with the proper bushing being used in the bore. A finishing reamer will cut a blank fine, it's just harder on the reamer. In other words, don't expect to chamber 100 rifles with just a finisher.

I have solid pilot reamers for hunting rifles, I use piloted reamers when I plan on chasing bug holes 8-)

Thank you... can you elaborate on "proper bushing"? Should I have the barrel before getting the reamer made?

MJ

Fluxed
04-17-2013, 02:58 PM
A finisher is all you need, along with (maybe) a set of bushings for the given caliber. Unless you're a highly skilled machinist and willing to investigate the particular techniques for chambering a rifle barrel you should look for a gunsmith who does a lot of barreling. That person should have the reamer bushings on hand. More importantly he will have the know how to do this job right the first time.

This work is not that hard but you need to know and have a good understanding of what to do and what not to do and why. For instance, some great smiths don't use a bushing at all - they bore the chamber and follow that with the reamer. Others bore and ream with a reamer with a bushing of the correct size. There are lots of ways to skin this cat but you do need to follow one of the established and proven methods. An experienced barrel man can save you a lot of grief (probably money too) on this project.

Marlin Junky
04-17-2013, 05:53 PM
I have an experienced gunsmith located... my job is simply to specify and/or provide the reamer. Sounds like I don't need to worry about the reamer bushing. FWIW, I'm also going to hand the .257 barrel I've purchased from Brownells to him.

MJ

shooter93
04-17-2013, 06:55 PM
He'll either already have a bushing MJ or he'll turn one for your barrel. It's very common to do so. My Maker uses live pilots and only finish reamers and dosn't chamber for "speed" so it's all that's really needed.