PDA

View Full Version : Little banged up but okay

redneckdan
09-01-2007, 02:17 PM
I had a run in with a deer last evening on the bike. My friend Howie was fortunately (he had a passenger on the back of his bike) able to swerve left to clear Momma and little one number 1, I swerved left to give him room to work and little one number 2 railed the back of the bike from the left side, broke the rear tire loose and the bike started goin down. I felt it start goin down on the right and I was able to roll left and get on top of the bike and ride it across the pavement for about 40 feet before the handle bar caught a crack and lauched me off the top. Not much damage to me, a jambed thumb, most of the skin on my right knee is gone. Nothin brokin though. First guy on the scene thought I was dead until I yelled at him to help me get the damn helmet off and the bike out of the road. Heres a pic of the jacket. The scratches don't show up well, its pretty much torn up all the way around the jacket, rolled probably 5 or 6 times down the road.

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b77/redneckdan/IMGP3021-1.jpg

the bike will need work. the gauge pod is destroyed, along with the head light housing, its leaking anti-freeze from somewhere... But it will ride again someday.

45nut
09-01-2007, 02:25 PM
Wow, sorry to hear that Dan. Glad your mostly unhurt, nothing too serious anyway.
Glad you were wearing leather and a helmet, that knee will be ok,, in a while huh.
Dang Deer!

Phil
09-01-2007, 02:45 PM
Hi Dan,

Glad you came out of it with little injury. I know those knee skins hurt like heck, been there, done that, got the t shirt. But they will heal and the bike will be back on the road. Just glad you're ok.

Cheers,

Phil

Jim
09-01-2007, 03:34 PM
Whew! Man, Dan, I'm sure glad you're OK! I know you're tight about the bike, but they still be makin' plenny of them boys. As for RedNeckDans, there's only one that I know about.

waksupi
09-01-2007, 04:08 PM
Ah, the smell of autumn, and the refreshing feeling of a good case of road rash! Glad you came out of it more or less ok. I suggest you contact Gussy's wife, and start a Cast Boolits Wheeled Hunting Society.

hivoltfl
09-01-2007, 04:18 PM
That your first time down? sounds to me like maybe it was not, I rode a Goldwing on its side for almost a quarter mile, stringing fiberglass and chrome the whole way. Glad to hear you made it without bad injury, next time use a gun and a cast boolit on them deer,

Rick

redbear705
09-01-2007, 04:58 PM
Even Though you did not get hurt too badly you are gonna be pretty sore for awhile ! and I am not just talking about your knee...hitting the ground and rolling over and over beating yourself up will take some time for you to heal!

Glad you and your group made it with out more extensive injuries....JR

ovendoctor
09-01-2007, 09:54 PM
glad your ok[glad ya didnt have jen on back]

ya dem deers have a funny way of sacking you wen ya dont expect it[smilie=1:

remember your starting a new month with a clean slate[like we talked about]

by the way its howies family that has the bet with him about making it to 25 :kidding:

have a restful weekend

:castmine: :redneck:

trickyasafox
09-01-2007, 10:02 PM
glad your ok!

scrapcan
09-02-2007, 12:20 AM
you now know the true worth of a good set of leathers. Glad you are ok. Also hope you were not bending the limits while in the process of smoking Bambi. Remember it is their environment also.

MT Gianni
09-02-2007, 01:19 AM
Glad you walked away from it. That is the important part. Gianni.

Bret4207
09-02-2007, 08:50 AM
Any landing you can walk away from is a good landing. My next deer hit will be #14, 1 at 90mph+. I'd rather not talk about the cow I hit....

dragonrider
09-02-2007, 09:34 AM
Ya road rash can be a pain, btdt, glad your ok,

beemer
09-02-2007, 09:56 AM
Glad you are OK,close call. I have thought about getting some stickers with animal pictures on them to put on my faring.I have hit coons, possums, rabbits , cats,dogs, deer, skunks, cats and even a bat. The skunk caused the most commotion, the deer was the most dangerous. It was an 70-75 pound doe that ran in between the forks and engine on my old Beemer. The cylinder guard broke her back amd I ran on over her. Living out in the boonies and riding at night probably causes most of these problems.

beemer

Bret4207
09-02-2007, 08:24 PM
Caught a Snowy Owl (I think thats the name, the one on the White Owl Cigar box) in the light bar at 120+. After I changed my underwear, I discovered I no longer had a light bar. Didn't so much for the owl either. Took quite a ribbing after I got to the scene and we got the knuckleheads corralled.

Boz330
09-03-2007, 08:40 AM
Glad you are ok Dan. You need to make it to 50 so you can truly enjoy the pleasures of all those youthful activities when you think that you are bullet proof.:drinks:

Bob

BD
09-03-2007, 11:06 AM
Be thankful it wasn't worse. You'll forget all about in a while, only to remember it again getting out of bed some morning about 30 years from now.

The top three signs that motocross is not for you:

1. Your friends nickname you "crash", and it sticks.
2. You have an open account at the radiologist.
3. The amount of time you're putting into it is inversely proportional to the sponsorship you're recieving.

I'm not saying how I know this.

BD

dnepr
09-03-2007, 11:36 AM
Good to here you are alright . I have been down a couple times myself but I have always had the good furtune to be able walk away and not be carried away. Glad to see you were wearing good leathers. I hope your ride isn't to badly messed up. I haven't tangled with a deer but the day is probably coming . We have a lot of deer around here and I have had some close ones.

KB291
09-03-2007, 11:49 AM
Glad you survived this encounter. Had a moose put me down in Yellowstone right at dusk one September. Got lucky in that I went into a ditch instead of going down on asphalt.

Gives true meaning to LFFTCMW....little furry ffellows that cause motorcycle wrecks!

HORNET
09-04-2007, 07:22 PM
Dan, glad you got away with only minor damage. The bike can be fixed, the jacket can be replaced (if necessary), the hide will grow back, and you'll never ever hear the end of it from Jen.[smilie=1: [smilie=1:

nelsonted1
09-04-2007, 10:56 PM
A guy I worked with was an NFL player. When he and the other former MN Gopher players got together before their first NFL season they bought motorcycles in LA and drove up the west coast. They were on rocket bikes and acting like idiots. They were on a long straight stretch of interstate in Montana. ONe of them took off disappearing over the next hill. The others drove up on him laying on his back next to a dead elk. They all jumped off their bikes and got down around him thinking he was dead. He said he was fine and asked for help getting up. He was standing next to his bike and started to pull on his helmet. The helmet came off, he went over backwards on his bike cutting a huge gash across his head and down his neck. So they needed to get him to a hospital to get his get him stitched up. They decided the moral was not to wear a helmet or maybe it was not to take it off standing up. (They kept their helmets on)

My brother used to road-race Harleys. He wiped out his bike landing face down going 85. He was sliding face down with his arms outstretched trying to keep from rolling. He said the noise off his helmet's face shield grinding two inches from his face was outstanding. He'd hit a bump throwing his head up and back down on the pavement. He said he was never going to ride a motorcycle ever without a helmet.

TED

FISH4BUGS
09-05-2007, 07:21 AM
My girlfriend and I were returning from dinner the long way on a beautiful Saturday night and were on back country New Hampshire roads.....sun roof open and windows down. I have 100 watt Halogen headlights that allow you to read a newspaper at half mile (well, not really that bright but pretty damn bright). On a long straightaway I flicked the lights to high beam and was doing about 50. My girlfriend suddenly shouted DEER!
The problem was she was looking at the deer about 50 yards ahead on the right. I saw a deer too, but I was looking at the deer sitting on the left side. I lifted off the accellerator and put my foot over the brake, and just as I passed the deer, she decided to jump out.
First jump was on the side of the road, second jump would have landed her about 3/4 across the road, except that I hit her in mid-air at the top of the jump. I caught the deer flush on the hindquarters with the center of my grille and hood. It spun her around and she went up and over the hood and bounced off the windshield post. It threw her off into the woods.
Some people that lived right there heard the screech and the thump and came running out. The asked if everyone was OK and what happened. I explained and he yelled to his brother to "bring the rifle". The deer was thrashing in the woods and must have heard him ask for the rifle, because she got up and started limping away.
He followed her with the flashlight as she limped off into the woods. I hope she is OK. Deer are pretty tough critters so I hope she will be fine.
The car? Minor damage. This deer has a Mercedes hood ornament permanently stamped in its hind quarter. Some scratches and a cracked headlight door. The deer got the worst of it I think.
I wonder what makes them jump out like that?

Ricochet
09-05-2007, 10:03 AM
Best explanation of heard about what makes them jump out is that as the car with its headlights approaches, the shadows behind the deer move looking like a pack of approaching predators circling behind the deer. Spooks 'em. They can't help it.