PDA

View Full Version : Today's purchase

Jim
04-16-2013, 02:31 PM
Good ol' country style Mom & Pop gun shop. This is one of the many reasons I give them my business.

Little by little, I'm buildin' my stock.

Olevern
04-16-2013, 02:54 PM
Good to see the Ag#@$'s are takin' care of you; they're good folk.

jeepyj
04-16-2013, 03:21 PM
Wow is that really a box of gold?
Your a lucky man at 6.5cents each best I've seen in a while. Hopefully we get something similar pretty quick around here.
jeepyj

x101airborne
04-16-2013, 03:58 PM
Great buy, Jim

Jim
04-16-2013, 04:01 PM
Wow is that really a box of gold?
Your a lucky man at 6.5cents each best I've seen in a while. Hopefully we get something similar pretty quick around here.
jeepyj

That's the third box I've gotten from them. About once a month or so, they find some stuff and call me when it comes in. I don't try to get it all, just one box. Tryin' to leave some for other guys around Floyd to have.

runfiverun
04-16-2013, 04:10 PM
6.5 cents a round !!!?
i'll just keep on shooting regular rounds and save a bit of money.

GRUMPA
04-16-2013, 04:15 PM
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
What he said.

dmclark523
04-16-2013, 04:20 PM
Wow, amazing deal. Saw a box of 50 going for 12.99 at my local store the other day... :holysheep

starmac
04-16-2013, 04:38 PM
OUR WORLD HAS CHANGED when paying 20.95 for something over a half a brick of 22 lr gets you bragging rights. lol

To be honest, I have never, that I recall bought the auto match ammo, and don't have a clue what normal prices for it were. lol

jcwit
04-16-2013, 05:50 PM
Midway still lists it at $14.99 a box, course they don't have any.

JeffinNZ
04-16-2013, 06:29 PM
Miss Jeanette is looking out for you Jim.

Jim
04-16-2013, 08:13 PM
Yup. When's the last time you saw 22 ammo for the equivalent of just under $3.25 a 50 box?

Swamp Man
04-16-2013, 08:38 PM
Jim that's not bad for a mom & pop I got a box of them from Wal-Mart a few weeks back for my little brother they were $14 and change after tax.

TXGunNut
04-16-2013, 11:19 PM
Sounds like the last shortage; feast or famine. All depends on where you put your feet down.

Idaho Mule
04-16-2013, 11:37 PM
Jim, good buy there. Seems I am paying dang near .04 cents apiece to fire my lowly 32-20's. If I charged myself labor for the casting and loading it would be worse. JW

Bad Water Bill
04-17-2013, 06:17 AM
Lets see if I understand this? Last fall I could buy 550 for $16.99 and now they have reduced the quantity to 325 and raised the price?

When I went to school, last fall you paid 3,08 per round and now you pay 6.45 and call it a deal.

What magic formula am I missing here?

Personally I think they added SAND to the lubricant.:groner::groner:

runfiverun
04-17-2013, 01:56 PM
I think bill meant he went to school the last fall of 1899.
:kidding:
there was an increase of 15% on shooting stuff this quarter.
but this is getting out of hand.

jim probably paid a fair to good price for a good round of 22 ammo.
but i'm seeing 9m at what 45 acp cost 2 years ago, the price of copper and lead are down, shortages on everything gun/ammo/powder related.
if materials costs are down the prices of the manufactured product should be down, this is what we all have been waiting for.
except demand is driving the market upward.
this means major profits for everybody in the supply chain.
even those of us that have just been sitting watching are getting to the point where we are gonna need something pretty soon.
powder, cases, whatever, which is just going to keep the bubble growing and growing.
i'm gonna keep on waiting for certain items, use what I have most of, and try to catch things on the backslide.

Jim
04-17-2013, 02:32 PM
The intent of my OP was not "Looka me, looka' me!" I suppose I should have explained my intent and I apologize for failing to make myself clear.

Ever since the Newtown shooting, ammo prices have gone through the roof. We've all seen rediculous prices for ammo that cost $30 or so just a few months ago.

I'm not clairvoyant and God does not call me every morning to tell me what He's got planned for today. But I got a gut feeling last fall that it might be good for me to start buying some 22 ammo. By the time Newtown went down, I had gathered a coupla' Ks of assorted 22 stuff.

When the 'stuff' hit the fan last December, everybody and his brother made an all out rush on ammo and in short order, there was none. I figured I'd just have to tighten up and not shoot as much 22 as Janet and I usually do.

I mentioned my interest in 22 ammo to Miss Jeanette and asked her to let me know if they got any in. Since then, she has honored my request. Every time they get a bit in, she calls and I go out and buy a box.

What surprises me, though, is that in spite of the high prices reported by so many people all over the nation, some how, she's able to sell it for real close to what it was priced at prior to December.

The price of any commodity being high or low is a matter of opinion. Personally, I don't mind paying the equivalent of just under $3.25 per box of 50. I can't remember the last time I went through a 50 rd. box in one session so it lasts a bit longer at the rate I shoot.

I posted about my purchase I guess to say 'it's still out there to be had and still somewhat affordable'. I kinda' feel like I started something and wish I had thought before I posted.

Most certainly, there's nowhere near as much available as what there was a few months ago. But as long as I can find and afford a box now and then so Janet and I can shoot our 22s together in the afternoons, I'm happy. THAT was the intent behind my post.

Love Life
04-17-2013, 02:58 PM
My advice to people right now (free dontcha know) is to stop shooting for a spell. What happens if this doesn't blow over by the fall and you have shot up all your summer stuff? Continue to buy at decent prices as you find the stuff you need, but stop shooting, or at least cut back considerably.

Heck I haven't really squeezed a trigger for over a month. I'm watching for good buys though and it adds up over time. And I have been making wine...

justing
04-17-2013, 02:58 PM
my lgs has been getting 22 in limited quantities and at $3.50 for 50

rmatchell
04-17-2013, 03:41 PM
I have cut back to the point that I bet I haven't fired 100 rounds in the last 4 months. I have been able to find decent prices here in the last few weeks though. today I got 2 boxes of dupo20 slugs for 15 after tax and at another store I got 50 unfired graffs 6.5 carcano for 12 bucks. Now i'm just waiting for things to calm down.

gandydancer
04-17-2013, 03:58 PM
[smilie=w:
The intent of my OP was not "Looka me, looka' me!" I suppose I should have explained my intent and I apologize for failing to make myself clear.

Ever since the Newtown shooting, ammo prices have gone through the roof. We've all seen rediculous prices for ammo that cost $30 or so just a few months ago.

I'm not clairvoyant and God does not call me every morning to tell me what He's got planned for today. But I got a gut feeling last fall that it might be good for me to start buying some 22 ammo. By the time Newtown went down, I had gathered a coupla' Ks of assorted 22 stuff.

When the 'stuff' hit the fan last December, everybody and his brother made an all out rush on ammo and in short order, there was none. I figured I'd just have to tighten up and not shoot as much 22 as Janet and I usually do.

I mentioned my interest in 22 ammo to Miss Jeanette and asked her to let me know if they got any in. Since then, she has honored my request. Every time they get a bit in, she calls and I go out and buy a box.

What surprises me, though, is that in spite of the high prices reported by so many people all over the nation, some how, she's able to sell it for real close to what it was priced at prior to December.

The price of any commodity being high or low is a matter of opinion. Personally, I don't mind paying the equivalent of just under $3.25 per box of 50. I can't remember the last time I went through a 50 rd. box in one session so it lasts a bit longer at the rate I shoot.

I posted about my purchase I guess to say 'it's still out there to be had and still somewhat affordable'. I kinda' feel like I started something and wish I had thought before I posted.

Most certainly, there's nowhere near as much available as what there was a few months ago. But as long as I can find and afford a box now and then so Janet and I can shoot our 22s together in the afternoons, I'm happy. THAT was the intent behind my post.

Jim. no matter how you word it. good. bad. or indifference. There are those who will BITCH at a free dinner. It was a good find. Tom/gandy [smilie=w:

Swamp Man
04-17-2013, 04:13 PM
Jim I knew what you were pointing out when you posted this threat and I agree at this time what you paid was not bad at all. People must understand that your LGS is not in a big city and it's a mom & pop shop so that price is not bad at all. If you look at what some are charging in big cities like the CCI standards I seen for 7.00 a 50 count box or the Winchesters 50 count box for 10.99 you got one heck of a good deal. Places like Wal-Mart are still selling there ammo for a good price and so are some of the small shops others are just ripping people off. The high prices are not due to their cost for stock it's the shop owners lust for high profits.

shooterg
04-17-2013, 04:17 PM
STOP SHOOTING ?! I may cut down a few rounds a day, but I do not think they have a 12 step program that will work for stopping !

WILCO
04-17-2013, 04:23 PM
there was an increase of 15% on shooting stuff this quarter.
but this is getting out of hand.

It's not out of hand. Just standard economics 101 at play. If you can't handle this, what are you gonna do when food costs skyrocket?

WILCO
04-17-2013, 04:28 PM
The intent of my OP was not "Looka me, looka' me!" I suppose I should have explained my intent and I apologize for failing to make myself clear..

No worries Jim. I knew what you were saying right off. Thanks for the report. It's good to hear of Mom & Pop shops.

WILCO
04-17-2013, 04:31 PM
I have cut back to the point that I bet I haven't fired 100 rounds in the last 4 months. Now i'm just waiting for things to calm down.

I'm in the same boat, just by different circumstances. Things aren't going to calm down. That ship has sailed.

mold maker
04-17-2013, 04:56 PM
Unless politicians declare war on us, things will settle down, just not back to the old prices. The gougers will have dusty stock in 4 more months as the honest sellers gain a supply. Like said above, in times of shortage, conserve what you have. When the new normal arrives, stock up. Been doing it that way since bush #1 was in office. I shoot less but it's my choice, not empty shelves or high prices.
If you're just after a bargain, Gold is down in the $1300s/oz. Thats the lowest in many years. So buy gold, and trade it for bullets later.

Love Life
04-17-2013, 04:59 PM
I wouldn't trade my bullets for gold. Now mercury dimes and morgan silver dollars are a different story. You can feel the history in those things.

w0fms
04-17-2013, 05:03 PM
Now that I take my 11 & 12 year old to the range with me, I kinda wish I would have bought 2x as much as I did last November at "black Friday". They are still a little too sheepish to shoot anything larger in quantity. I did get 525 packs for $17 then too... with two kids shooting it's easy to go through 50-100 in one trip...

WILCO
04-17-2013, 05:44 PM
Unless politicians declare war on us.....

Have you been sleeping? Gun owners, fat and wealthy people are the new jews of 1933.

runfiverun
04-17-2013, 07:51 PM
I have been out and about the last little while and things do cost more.
buy the reasonably correctly marked up stuff if you need it.
I have looked at @ 15 different kinds of powder all marked between 24.00 and 29.00 a pound.
I looked over 50 bricks of cci SR primers for 36.00 and some large rifle too.
I seen some 22 lr's too but didn't look at the prices, I don't need any.

shdwlkr
04-18-2013, 09:42 AM
Jim and all that read these posts
first the price we pay is not what the dealer pays
Second some are more than willing to help lighten your wallet
Third as long as we are willing to bleed to have they will charge the high prices
Fourth the price of all firearm related stuff is going up 15% mark my words this will be the new normal
Fifth I have heard that it will 2015 when things get back to what we used to see in the stores again.
Sixth also been told that July-August-September it will be hunting ammo that is short and pistol ammo will line the shelf's
We are in a time when things will appear and disappear very quickly
Case in point a friend called me last night that found some new 30-06 brass and wanted to know if I wanted 2-50 round bags and I said yes got called back and there was a limit of 4 bags and they were there so I got for bags of new brass for around $0.50 for each piece. Only sad thing is I remember when I could get 1000 new pieces for that total price.
The times they are changing and not for the better either.

Love Life
04-18-2013, 10:47 AM
Deals are around. You just have to look around. I am like the spider waiting in his web, read to descend upon unwary sales!!!

NSP64
04-18-2013, 04:28 PM
Good job Jim.
My mom n pop isnt raping customers either.
He got in 2 bushmasters in 5.56 and sold them for $950.00 each.

jcwit
04-18-2013, 07:58 PM
It's not out of hand. Just standard economics 101 at play. If you can't handle this, what are you gonna do when food costs skyrocket?

Its not the 15% increase thats hurting folks, its those that are charging 500 to 1,000 percent that are hurting the sport.

But then we all know they are only trying to make a couple of bucks!:evil:

TXGunNut
04-18-2013, 11:37 PM
I think the gun retailers are having a hard time getting inventory in, some distributors are likely taking advantage of the situation and selling to the highest bidder. My guess is it's the guy w/ no brick & mortar store selling $100 bricks at the gun shows. If a retailer can only get in X amount of inventory he still has Y amount of overhead to cover so his margin may have to be adjusted. He has a store to pay for and payroll to meet. Jeanette may not depend on ammo and related sales to cover her overhead if she is more of a general merchandise retailer. Therefore her fair price is determined by her normal markup, not decreased supply and elevated demand.
Many of us have seen this before. At this point in the panic the gougers realize the game is almost over but will try anything to feed the panic to keep it alive. I say let it starve to death!

Jim
04-19-2013, 09:47 AM
..... Jeanette may not depend on ammo and related sales to cover her overhead if she is more of a general merchandise retailer.....

Harold and Miss Jeanette operate their business out of a shop on their property that is smaller than the average bedroom. The only overhead they have is the extra power they use to light the shop which amounts to very little. That gives them a terrific advantage over retail businesses that operate in leased buildings and have staff to pay.

They've both told me several times they're not doing this to generate income. It's pretty much just something for them to do. It's really a nice benefit for the shooting community here as the local 'good ol' boys' can order a gun and/or get ammo at much lower prices.

Quite often, I go out to just sit and BS with Harold. There's a coupla' chairs for visitors to park in and Harold is always up for a lying contest. Miss Jeanette is always glad to see me and never misses givin' me a hug.

All that bein' said, I ain't lost a thing at them big high dollar shops.

jcwit
04-19-2013, 01:21 PM
Harold and Miss Jeanette operate their business out of a shop on their property that is smaller than the average bedroom. The only overhead they have is the extra power they use to light the shop which amounts to very little. That gives them a terrific advantage over retail businesses that operate in leased buildings and have staff to pay.

They've both told me several times they're not doing this to generate income. It's pretty much just something for them to do. It's really a nice benefit for the shooting community here as the local 'good ol' boys' can order a gun and/or get ammo at much lower prices.

Quite often, I go out to just sit and BS with Harold. There's a coupla' chairs for visitors to park in and Harold is always up for a lying contest. Miss Jeanette is always glad to see me and never misses givin' me a hug.

All that bein' said, I ain't lost a thing at them big high dollar shops.

Sound like you have a SUPER GOOD local shop. Plus it looks like the owners have good business ethics.

Tazman1602
04-19-2013, 01:35 PM

You know what Jim? I'm happy for you. I'm also happy that you bought from a small time LGS --- of which I am one and I NEVER scalp my customers or mark anything up more than 30% on ammo and accesories -- guns, when I can get them I still sell at an honest 10% above my COST.

I had a death in the family two weeks ago and just got back from North Carolina burying Uncle Bob. While down there I had a chance to go with my cousing to Hyatt Gun and Coin in Charlotte, NC. I could NOT believe the prices, WAY above their cost sometimes in excess of 100% of their cost --- BUT...........people were still in there pealing off the Franklins.

A 100 round box of CCI mini-mags was $25 and a 20-round box of Fiocchi 5.56 was $30.............and people were STILL buying them. Hyatts sells in excess of 15K guns per year and theft has become so bad that the Charlotte PD now has a full time officer at the door.

Be glad you live where you live (out in the sticks like me) and be happy you got those .22''s at a decent price IN THIS MARKET. GOOD BUY JIM!

Art

popper
04-19-2013, 02:56 PM
Slow down shooting - no way - I don't get enough range time as it is. The devalued $ is showing up now. Computer & phone $ will be going back up as the demand is way off. Auto prices the same, were held low but now few can afford a new one so $$>>. I do wish for lower prices but I don't see it coming.

felix
04-19-2013, 03:34 PM
Jim, like you and Steve did for me, I pass on my favors to those in need of ammo (specifically). I have the resources to bone-up the neighborhood in center Fort Smith and that is what I have been doing for the last several years. I bet I have not shot more than 50 rounds in a couple of years, and that only to display how to HIT a target(s) at random distances. Corky is helping me also to train the younger fellows around here. So, Jim, more power to you and your sources!!!! ... felix

pmeisel
04-20-2013, 10:58 PM
My best to you and Miss Jeanette at the store, Jim. Wish we were neighbors.