PDA

View Full Version : Lawnmowers and smelting or can I flux with this?

Vulcan Bob
04-16-2013, 02:26 PM
Hi all, after cutting the grass for the first time this year, as I was putting the mower away I noticed the nice fresh pine smell it had. I was mulching brown pine needles with the mower and with that nice pine smell I wonder, can I use last years brown pine needle mulch as a flux? Taking care its dry before tossing in the smelting pot of course! Any and all opinions are welcome. Maybe I have too much time on my hands!

runfiverun
04-16-2013, 08:06 PM
it will work.
let it burn down to ash.
try some of the pine rosin too.

trapper9260
04-16-2013, 08:59 PM
it will work.
let it burn down to ash.
try some of the pine rosin too.

X2 and also corn cobs and anything else that makes ask like pine needles will work also saw dust and shavens.but do like is stated.

LatheRunner
04-16-2013, 09:19 PM
Yes be sure you wait until it burns down to ash. I did not one time and almost said hello to the tinsel fairy. My pot bubbled up real good. I use wood chips from a planer. If you have a couple of pine trees then you have a lifetime supply.

Vulcan Bob
04-16-2013, 11:17 PM
Thank you all! Just used the last ingot's this afternoon trying out my new RCBS mold I obtained today and if it doesn't rain tomorrow I'll give it a try.

Suo Gan
04-17-2013, 01:10 AM
Do it all the time. Just throw a handful of weeds, leaves, and needles in when I render, I burn them down with the torch and dunk them and stir them around with a piece of kindling. Don't have to be bone dry when you throw them on top, just make sure most of the water is out of them before they go below the surface of the liquid alloy.