PDA

View Full Version : Trius One Step

roysha
04-16-2013, 11:55 AM
Perhaps this is not the right place to ask this but I'll ask anyway and if it gets moved, sobeit.

Do any of you use one of these throwers? What do you think of it, including things like how well built, ease of set up and operation, consistency of thrown birds, etc?

I have a Do All electric trap but my shooting partners have moved away and it is a big pain to set up just for myself so it is going away. However, I would like to have something to replace it that would allow me to shoot by myself and this One Step looks ideal.

Versalius
04-16-2013, 11:02 PM
Hey Roysha, I use one of these when I take my girlfriend or other newer shotgun users out. The girlfriend is still learning but progressing very well, the reason why I use it for the newbies is that it makes for a good learning platform. If you are already proficient with a shotgun you will get bored with it. Whenever I take it out I usually launch clays for someone else shooting that way they can be in a good shooting stance and watch the clays.

Pros:
- Well built, held together with nice thick bolts and locking nuts. Thick steel as well, probably weighs about 30 lbs assembled.
- Consistent in terms of where it launches
- 1 or 2 clays at a time
- Adjustable speed (tighten main spring to speed it up, loosen to slow)
- Adjustable for height
- Easy to set up and adjust.

Cons
- For me it is pretty slow, I can hit doubles all day long as fast as the thrower will go.
- Front spikes (meant for anchoring into the ground) do not work the best all the time.
- Holding a shotgun and stepping on the thrower just does not feel natural, the step is higher than perhaps a staircase and is awkward. (This is why someone shoots and someone steps)

If you have any other questions let me know! Got mine from amazon for $80 or so dollars, for the price it's not bad but wish it could go faster and provide more of a challenge.

dverna
04-17-2013, 04:21 PM
Shooting by yourself is not a great idea. Cr@p happens. I have done it a lot, bit now try to avoid it. Older and wiser - or maybe just more of a chicken.

silverman1
04-18-2013, 08:06 PM
I use a 1/4 cocker.
I have no idea what brand it is,someone returned it to Cabellas,and I bought it in the bargain cave for 50.00.
It was rusty,and everything was rusted fast,and the paint was faded,so someone had left it set up outside.
Anyhow,when released,the arm flings around 3/4 of the way to lock again to reset.
You only have to pull it back 1/4 turn till it locks.
My 6 yr old granddaughter,sitting on a bar stool,can put her feet afainst the post[It mounts on a 4X4]and cock it.
I put 4 ft nylon cord on the release,and clip it to my belt,and I can hold the gun ,lean back,and release and shoot.
I looked on the internet,and have not seen one exactly like it,but close,are do all brand.
I usually am able to find someone to shoot with,but anymore,with a club with every thurs night trap shoots,and as long as I shoot practice rounds,it is only 3.50 for 25 birds,and my arms do not get tired.

Firebricker
04-24-2013, 10:19 PM
Guy I work with has a couple of them and loves them. FB

Bren R.
04-25-2013, 11:36 AM
Hopefully you're a generously proportioned individual, I had trouble at my weight tripping it. Almost had to jump on it to fire it.

Bren R.