PDA

View Full Version : New to me Lee bottom pour problem

Redd508
04-16-2013, 11:40 AM
I have recently picked up a small Lee bottom pour and seems to work well with 1 exception. After i fill the mold the lead in the spout tends to cool and stop it up. I can clear it with a nail nut after 1 or 2 pours it is plugged again. Is this common and is there a fix for it? I drained the pot but havent had a chance to dissassemble it yet. Thanks in advance.

dragonrider
04-16-2013, 11:47 AM
Turn up the heat, you running too cool. If you do not
Have a thermometer get one. Temp between 700 and 750

04-16-2013, 11:53 AM
Though the alloy melt may be at the desired temperature, the spout, which is exposed, takes a while longer to heat up. The ambient temperature and wind affect the pots outside temperature.
1. Wait longer to start casting.
2. Use a propane torch to heat the spout and bottom of the pot.

Redd508
04-16-2013, 12:14 PM
Though the alloy melt may be at the desired temperature, the spout, which is exposed, takes a while longer to heat up. The ambient temperature and wind affect the pots outside temperature.

Makes sense because it did flow well and itwas windy. If i torch the bottom will i have to continue heating or should it keep temp once its hot?

04-16-2013, 09:11 PM
Once the alloy starts flowing through the spout, and as long as you don't take any extended breaks, you shouldn't have to re-heat it.

Bzcraig
04-19-2013, 10:08 AM

What he said!!