PDA

View Full Version : People are going nuts!!!!!!!

gcollins
04-16-2013, 10:19 AM
Howdy All,
I just had to share this with someone, I don't have any guns guys to run around with, except for my brother in law and this friend that came and told me that he went to a gun auction that happens once a month, this place is the most up scale auction house around.
They allways start with some nice clean guns, and then they will bring out some real collectable peice's, and then they sell some gun misc. and ammo! They had several bricks of 550 count 22LR, they brung from $$240.00-$420.00 a brick:shock:
Then if they have any reloading misc. they sell that stuff. Then it is back to guns and collector knifes, swords,German SS stuff, ect. then it is down to the parts guns and parts, and then they brung some bricks of 22LR in the 50 count boxes, so maybe those that didn't get any of the 550 bricks might have a shot at them!
Just plain 22's they were not solid gold or even copper wash :shock: They started the bidding off and folks went nuts :shock:Those 50 round boxes brung
$80.00 per box yes I said $80.00 for a single box of 50 LR bullets, and:shock: they had 4 of those bricks and the High Bidder bought them all! :shock::veryconfu:veryconfu:veryconfu$800.00 a BRICK:Fire:
This is not a joke, I have know this guy since I was 8 years old, and has never lyed to me ever!
Just think of what the price might me if there isn't any ammo in 6 months??[smilie=s:
G

Doc_Stihl
04-16-2013, 10:24 AM
People have always been nuts. They just don't often get a chance like the present to show off their idiocy.

I bought 200 rounds of CCI mini mag Saturday for $4.25 per 50.

Goatwhiskers
04-16-2013, 10:28 AM
As the singer said: God is great, beer is good, and people are crazy. GW

GRUMPA
04-16-2013, 10:31 AM
I've gone to more of a few of them in my lifetime and observed the following. In the past (some 25yrs ago) it was a fun thing to do on weekends, now......I've noticed what I refer to as Ghost bidders. Those are the ones that get the price up with no intention of taking it home but there just to get the price up. I've seen the same things go up for auction a month later with the excuse being the highest bidder never picked it up. Just strikes me as odd when you have to put down a deposit just so you can get a bidder number. So for right now at this point in time I see those as nothing more than a con game and let the impulsive be warned.

Jim
04-16-2013, 10:34 AM
..... they had 4 of those bricks and the High Bidder bought them all! $800.00 a BRICK.....

Over $3,000 for four bricks of 22s. That's just totally insane. He must be figurin' that's the last 22s he'll ever see.

If my calculator is working right, that's $1.60 a shot. At that rate, I've got almost $10,000 worth of 22s on hand.

RayinNH
04-16-2013, 10:35 AM
Makes the $65 per 525 cartridges price I saw on Saturday at the gun show seem like yard sale prices...Ray

Harter66
04-16-2013, 10:38 AM
Auctions seem to bring out the competitive nature in folks . They get all juiced up in the action sometimes they forget what they are buying. i was at a DU dinner probably 10 yr ago ,a guy paid $350 for a coat tree that catalogued at about 85 from DU .

x101airborne
04-16-2013, 11:35 AM
My uncle owns an oilfield service company and he does that at benefit auctions. He bought a nice picture of redfish tails for his office at 900.00. I bought the same size photo framed from the folks who donated the redfish pic but mine was of trout tails for 200.00. It is a tax write off for him.

I sure would sell some of the folks that didn't win the auction some 22's for the measely price of 200.00 a brick. My kids gotta go to college.

smokemjoe
04-16-2013, 11:44 AM
I got riped, I sold 3 -550 rd. boxes federal at action for $100.00 last month for all 3, 20 year old ammo. Joe

mold maker
04-16-2013, 11:46 AM
They may know something we don't. Gold tanked at barely over $1300./oz this morning. Think I'll try to buy some gold with a brick or two.

Swamp Man
04-16-2013, 11:56 AM
They may know something we don't. Gold tanked at barely over $1300./oz this morning. Think I'll try to buy some gold with a brick or two.

Now that's a great idea,heck I'll pay two bricks an once.

dakotashooter2
04-16-2013, 11:59 AM
And some people will spend lots of money just to puff up their ego and prove how rich they are......................Though in this case it just makes him look like an idiot.

For those prices one could probably buy the tooling and supplies to make your own.........

It would be cheaper to bribe a factory worker to stash a couple bricks for you.

freebullet
04-16-2013, 12:02 PM
Going....where you been hidden. I say no thanks. 22lr is barley worth regular price to me. I prefer BIG holes, easier to see what ya hit.

MtGun44
04-16-2013, 12:26 PM
Gonna clean out my basement and retire!

NOT.

Bill

starmac
04-16-2013, 12:48 PM
Scary, In my way of thinking some folks haven't got the common sense to be owning a firearm. lol

jcwit
04-16-2013, 01:15 PM
Scary, In my way of thinking some folks haven't got the common sense to be owning a firearm. lol

Well thats more than obvious.

Now we need to decide who does the deciding who qualifies and who doesn't.:bigsmyl2:

wallenba
04-16-2013, 01:28 PM
$420.00 a brick! Was this some kind of charity auction event? Sometimes at those, rich people are invited and get stupid showing off how much money they have to just waste.

BLTsandwedge
04-16-2013, 01:42 PM
I've gone to more of a few of them in my lifetime and observed the following. In the past (some 25yrs ago) it was a fun thing to do on weekends, now......I've noticed what I refer to as Ghost bidders. Those are the ones that get the price up with no intention of taking it home but there just to get the price up. I've seen the same things go up for auction a month later with the excuse being the highest bidder never picked it up. Just strikes me as odd when you have to put down a deposit just so you can get a bidder number. So for right now at this point in time I see those as nothing more than a con game and let the impulsive be warned.

30 years ago or so when I was going to school back in PA there was a gun auction 'company' that went around the state with a bunch of doctored up antique and reproduction stuff. The 'auctioneer' would also have two or three premium pieces in the collection of junk. He had two plants in the audience- there at each auction, every time. They had a system of bidding that got each piece- especially the premium guns- way above Flayderman's and let the egos in the room take over. It worked and they sold a lot of doctored-up junk for impressively inflated prices. As soon as they'd compile enough complaints, they'd go into hiding for a while.

Char-Gar
04-16-2013, 01:46 PM
Many, many years ago, I stopped being surprised at anything human beings do.

Bad Water Bill
04-16-2013, 02:02 PM
If this nonsense keeps up I might sell off all of my ANTIQUE,RARE,ONE OF A KIND,EXTREMELY HARD TO FIND and other junk to folks like them.

Think I will buy me a custom made Mercedes motor home and live the good life. :bigsmyl2:

How much am i bid for a genuine antique Ideal mould with an extremely low serial # of 223107.

Bidding will commence at the low price of only $500,000 for this true rare museum piece.

It is rumored that it was once owned by a guy named POPE who traded it to someone named Harvey Donaldson and then passed on to Col C Askins.

762 shooter
04-16-2013, 02:05 PM
I went to one auction and after selling all of the items, the auctioneer pulled $0.82 cents out of his pocket. He said to the crowd, " I just pulled 82 cents out of my pocket. Let's start with an opening bid of 50 cents."

I was there. He sold that pocket of change for $4.75. I kid you not.

Riflerev
04-16-2013, 02:18 PM
Gee guys, you really need to cultivate friends in the right places. A month ago I bought 1200 rounds of .22 LR for $46.00. Two weeks ago I got an additional 800 rounds for $34.00.

Make friends with the guys that run gun shops. Don't try to get something for nothing, don't abuse the relationship. they will look out for you when you need it. I burn a minimum of 1,000 rounds of .22 every month shooting Steel Challenge matches. I just mentioned that I need to keep a lookout for inexpensive .22's. When amkmo comes in these guys call me BEFORE they even open the doors for business. I never asked them to set any aside for me, but they do.

"JIM" (who posted above) knows me well and he can tell that I am NOT pulling your leg.

Jim
04-16-2013, 02:39 PM
Gee guys, you really need to cultivate friends in the right places. A month ago I bought 1200 rounds of .22 LR for $46.00. Two weeks ago I got an additional 800 rounds for $34.00.

Make friends with the guys that run gun shops. Don't try to get something for nothing, don't abuse the relationship. they will look out for you when you need it. I burn a minimum of 1,000 rounds of .22 every month shooting Steel Challenge matches. I just mentioned that I need to keep a lookout for inexpensive .22's. When amkmo comes in these guys call me BEFORE they even open the doors for business. I never asked them to set any aside for me, but they do.

"JIM" (who posted above) knows me well and he can tell that I am NOT pulling your leg.

Yup, that's for sure and certain.

I just posted "Today's purchase" where I got a 325 pack of Federal Auto Match for $20.95. Miss Jeanette called me to tell me they got in some 22 ammo and did I want any. That's how they look after me 'cause I'm always out there and help out doin' stuff around the shop when I'm there.

Glad to see ya' postin, Rev!

jcwit
04-16-2013, 03:28 PM
$420.00 a brick! Was this some kind of charity auction event? Sometimes at those, rich people are invited and get stupid showing off how much money they have to just waste.

Or use it as a write off.

Here in No. Indiana we have a benefit auction put on by the Mennonites, I've seen hand made Amish quilts go for a few thousand, then get turned right back onto the auction floor for a re-auction to raise more monies. All goes for a good cause.

Blacksmith
04-16-2013, 09:00 PM
I have helped at charity auctions and we would take a clear plastic bag around the room and get people to drop in some cash donations. Then we would auction the bag of money. It always brought more at auction than what was in it, we had to count it for record keeping. Often the winner would donate the bag back to the charity. So for the cost of an empty bag the charity made good money.

jcwit
04-16-2013, 09:09 PM
I have helped at charity auctions and we would take a clear plastic bag around the room and get people to drop in some cash donations. Then we would auction the bag of money. It always brought more at auction than what was in it, we had to count it for record keeping. Often the winner would donate the bag back to the charity. So for the cost of an empty bag the charity made good money.

Cool!

TXGunNut
04-16-2013, 09:18 PM
30 years ago or so when I was going to school back in PA there was a gun auction 'company' that went around the state with a bunch of doctored up antique and reproduction stuff. The 'auctioneer' would also have two or three premium pieces in the collection of junk. He had two plants in the audience- there at each auction, every time. They had a system of bidding that got each piece- especially the premium guns- way above Flayderman's and let the egos in the room take over. It worked and they sold a lot of doctored-up junk for impressively inflated prices. As soon as they'd compile enough complaints, they'd go into hiding for a while.

I'm guilty of a version of this. At charity auctions and occasionally estate auctions the auctioneer can't get a starting bid, I'll get things started for him. Only get caught on that every now and then but I pay my money and walk away. I even bid $10 for a thousand WSP primers a few weeks back. I donated them but it seems I was the only reloader there. Gonna be hard to account for that come tax time. :veryconfu

starmac
04-16-2013, 09:33 PM
will start the bid at auctions lots of the time, instead of listening to the auctioneer go down to nothing and then all the way back up, it saves a lot of time. lol

Ohio Rusty
04-17-2013, 06:37 PM
Blacksmith stuff has become just as crazy. There is a 250 pound anvil on Ebay .... normal price was about 2 dollars a pound before Sandy Hook. Now they want $1750.00 for the thing !!! DOH !!! have they gone crazy ??? Hammers are running 40 and 50 dollars used and beat up, and all the other blacksmith accessories have gone crazy in price. Anymore ...if you are gonna have a hobby of any kind, you have to be rich !! I better be happy with the few things I own as it doesn't look like I'll be able to afford anything new for a long while. I'm just glad I could stock up on some shooting components before everything went wild ............
Ohio Rusty ><>

Ed Barrett
04-17-2013, 09:04 PM
Like every other "Bubble" I've ever seen it will bust some day. Back 40 years ago ponies (the small horse type) got up to where they would bring more than a good "push button" horse. When it went bust they were down to killer prices. The gold buyers are seeing it now. I don't know when this ammunition will get back to normal, but it will. I'm a young 71 and I've seen a few cycles before.

TXGunNut
04-17-2013, 11:02 PM
When it went bust they were down to killer prices. The gold buyers are seeing it now. I don't know when this ammunition will get back to normal, but it will. I'm a young 71 and I've seen a few cycles before. -Ed Barrett

I asked my investment guy about a gold bubble bust several weeks back. He told me it couldn't happen. I reminded him folks used to say the same about real estate. I'll let it slide a bit more before I call him, gold prices are just silliness. Not as silly as the guns/ammo/component scene but close.

Swamp Man
04-18-2013, 04:02 AM
I told people over 18 months back that the gold bubble would bust but they kept buying it. When this ammo bubble bust we should be able to find a bunch of nuts that were trying to profit from this that can't pay their bills and have to sell their stock cheap.

gcollins
04-18-2013, 09:02 AM
I was totaly blowed away when I was told that, but my bother in law was at a gun show 2-3 weeks ago, he said it was a mad house and he stood by a table that was selling 22's at crazy prices and he saw a guy come up and ask the dealer if he still had those 6 bricks of 22LR's, dealer pick them up off the floor and put them on the table, they were the Winchester 36gr hollow points in the silver box's, the guy pull out 6-$100.00 bill's and that is what this guy bought. I have wanted a big Night Force scope for a long time, and I would have one, but I like being married!!If I could of just got a hold of that guy and drung him to my house, I would of sold some bricks for that price! I have allways shot a lot of 22's before I got hurt, every time I ended up at Wal Mart I would buy a brick or 2, so I have a few.
G

dakotashooter2
04-18-2013, 09:27 AM
I just ran across a box of primers I bought during the primer shortage in the 80s. They were the outragious price of $1.97/100.
If I remember normal price was aroun $1/100. I only had one box because that is what retailers were limiting you to at the time. If I remember correct, prices went to $12/ brick after that.

encoreman
04-18-2013, 09:30 PM
Call me a pessimist, but I doubt ammo will ever be back to normal prices again. The reason I say this is if the ammo companies are not crazy they are seeing what these idiots are paying. I thought $130 a brick at our local gun show was bad and then heard New Orleans gun show they were $230 per brick until I read this thread.

MT Gianni
04-18-2013, 11:13 PM
I let the Boy Scouts shoot of 300 of mine a few weeks ago, no charge.

dakotashooter2
04-19-2013, 10:39 AM
If ammo companies take an increase they still have to be carefull not to go overboard. You can double your price but risk reducing your volume. If you reduce your volume you may lose volume discounts for components increasing you costs and losing some of what you gained in price. Guys will still shoot....just not as much...... Volume sales are how businesses thrive (walmart) so they have to find that balance. Just because there are idiots out there paying $80-$100/brick for .22 ammo does not mean the ammo companies would get by with it. Don't be supprised if $30 becomes the new price for a brick of .22.

Blacksmith
04-19-2013, 11:46 AM
The CMP announced a price increase on .22 Long Rifle Ammo on 3-25-2013 They said they had been notified of a price increase by their supplier, Aguila. The CMP price increase was $10 per case, from $250 to $260 equal to $1 a brick, but the CMP said they would honor the old price for existing orders.

They sell two types of .22 ammo and these prices mentioned are for the following type.

.22LR Standard Velocity SP CENTURION
Manuf - Aguila-5000 rd/case. 40 gr., lead projectile, 1135
fps.at muzzle - standard velocity. Brass cases of max
resistance, manuf for perfect feeding in any typoe .22 rim-
fire weapon. Technically designed bullets which provide max
accuracy & due to their lubrication do not foul the barrel.
Clean combustion gunpowder and high velocities at low
pressure. ELEY prime process providing reliable ignition.

http://www.thecmp.org/Sales/ammo.htm