PDA

View Full Version : Parts for obsolete Hornady progressive?

32magfan
04-15-2013, 08:27 PM
Hornady no longer stocks parts for their Pro-Jector press. Anyone know where I can get parts for one? Specifically, the primer feed body (P/N 1900045) and the primer tube spring (P/N 392456). Or I could use the "Automatic Primer Shut-off Assembly" (P/N 050028). Nothing like this on Eww Bay.

HangFireW8
04-15-2013, 08:40 PM
Sorry to hear that... have you asked if you can upgrade to a lock n load feed?

32magfan
04-15-2013, 11:21 PM
They offered to give me a $200 trade-in for a new press. As far as I can tell, the price of a new one is around $600. Big deal.

deces
04-15-2013, 11:33 PM
Hornady no longer stocks parts for their Pro-Jector press. Anyone know where I can get parts for one? Specifically, the primer feed body (P/N 1900045) and the primer tube spring (P/N 392456). Or I could use the "Automatic Primer Shut-off Assembly" (P/N 050028). Nothing like this on Eww Bay.

As I tend to break parts on my lnl press, I found that Hornady sent me a completely revised primer feed system. It is pretty neat what they have come up with to solve this problem.

Voodoocld
04-17-2013, 10:34 AM
I think a new lnl is around $400-$430.

A pause for the COZ
04-17-2013, 10:57 AM
Yup Hornady's life time warranty means the life cycle of the product. Or until they come out with a new model.
I should call them.$200 trade in hmmmmm

BD
04-17-2013, 08:45 PM
Sorry to hear this as they have always been great about sending me parts for my Pro-Jector at no charge. It's been two years since I last spoke with them.
BD

W.R.Buchanan
04-17-2013, 10:18 PM
I had a similar problem with my DL266 shotshell loading machine. My first one was missing the charge bar. They no longer make the machine or the charge bar so I was left with finding one from a dead machine or making one. I got them to send me the drawings and I made one.

Fast Forward to last week and my second DL266 in .410 ga is missing the drop tube, and guess what?,,, they no longer make the machine so I have to make the part. Luckily I am a machinist and can make the part, others just have to look for parts wherever they can find them.

The problem with this company is that they will dump a viable but percieved "obsolete" machine for the most rediculous reasons, thinking they are saving money, or hoping they will sell you a new machine, when in actual fact they alienate many customers by not supporting their earlier machines. It would be a different story if we were talking about machines produced 30-50 years ago. We are talking recent models . The spare parts required to keep these machines running would be good fillin work for their shop and keep people working also.

This would be good business.

I personally think it is dumb business to not support older machines, I damn sure ain't gonna buy a new machine from a company that willl drop it in a few years and not support it any more.

Look at Dillon. All of their newer machines are designed as evolutions of their earlier machines and parts are interchangable, and up- gradeable to the highest degree possible. That's smart business.

A few years back I broke a decapping rod on my Hornaday .30-06 sizing die. Guess what? They don't make that style die any more!

Guess what again? RCBS makes a decapping rod exactly like the earlier Hornaday one and even sells it as a as a replacement for the Hornaday Dies . Guess where I bought the replacement part? FROM THEIR COMPETITION!

In the case of the DL 266 series of single stage shotshell loaders they scraped arguably the best single stage shotshell loader ever made. A machine which shares many parts with the DL366 loader which they currrently do make, all because some dipstick dropped the mould for the two castings peculiar to the machine and broke it 5 years ago. Rather than fix the mould and continue to produce the machine they elected to drop the product and stop manufacturing any replacement parts as well.

These are not the only machines they have done this to.

Good Luck on finding your parts!

Randy

Infidel
04-17-2013, 10:44 PM
Just called Hornady today. I needed some parts for a Pro-7 that I'm trying to resurrect. I was needing a rotating pawl that was missing. They were very nice and covered it under warranty! While I was on the horn, I asked about a couple of missing parts for my Pro-Jector. Covered. I discovered a couple of other mia parts on the Pro-7. Nothing pricy, just stuff that makes life easier, like a cartridge ejector and a spring. I offered to pay for them and she said she'd cover them. Wow! Christmas in April.

cheese1566
04-17-2013, 11:43 PM
Yep, a few years ago I purchased and stocked up on many of the parts to keep my three running for a long time. I just wish I had the insight years before to stock up on the primer tubes.
For some reason those old girls (Pro7's and ProJectors) turn my head when I see one up for sale!

32magfan
04-18-2013, 01:30 AM
Infidel,

I'm also using a Pro-7. I recently was able to compare it side-by-side with a Pro-Jector. If your Pro-7 is like mine, the unused primers can't be unloaded without spilling them because of the design of the mechanism. This was corrected on the Pro-Jector, but I didn't know this until recently. It looked like a simple upgrade of a couple of parts would fix this issue. The sales and technical people at Hornady said that the upgraded primer feed kits they had would not fit on a Pro-7. From my comparison, the Pro-Jector primer feed block looked just like mine on the Pro-7 except with a machined slot for the tube-mounted primer keeper spring, but the technician said they were not compatible. Aaaarrrrrgh!!

It's great that you were able to get parts for yours. Maybe the parts you're getting are still being used on the Lock-n-Loads.

Hardcast416taylor
04-18-2013, 12:22 PM
The primer tube system was one of the big changes Hornady did when the Pro-7 was upgraded to the ProJector series.Robert

W.R.Buchanan
04-18-2013, 01:45 PM
I agree that on current production machines their customer service is very good.

What I don't agree with is them not making short runs of replacement parts for older machines. They don't have to stock a zillon parts, and the main structural parts of the machine would not be kept,,, just the smaller easy to lose or break parts.

Also cross referencing part numbers for parts used on newer machines so you could use them instead of just saying we don't make that part anymore when it turns out they do. It just has a different part number because it is used on a different machine.

This is the case with the DL266 single stage shotshell loader vs the DL366 progressive loader which is currently produced. 80% of the parts on the 266 are used on the 366. Why not produce some of the pershiable parts for the 266 in short runs to support older machines?

And you will hear all of the normal corporate excuses about costs and marketing and blah blah blah.

I've seen it so many times it makes me sick,,, and that's why I work for myself!

We don't have these problems at Buchanan Precision Machine!

Randy