PDA

View Full Version : Need help mounting scope

Ivantherussian03
08-31-2007, 11:31 PM
I have a Savage 22/250.

I am trying to mount " Std Savage 10/110 Round Reciever 55742"

The rings are "Std medium rings"

The mounts are one long, and one short, two screws each. I am guessing the long one is the rear, and the short the front. The rear ring is easy to figure out. The front ring inserts into the mount but needs to twist 45 degrees. Do I need the ring wrench?

Pepe Ray
09-01-2007, 09:37 AM
Yes and NO, Doncha loveit?
Yes, you need something instead of the scope.
No, it doesn't need to be the wrench.
I've used an old cut off broom handle. Mainly, it should fit closely to the ring so that you don't crink it. Don't forget to lube the dovetails before turning.
Pepe Ray

Ivantherussian03
09-01-2007, 01:58 PM
Yeah, I thought about it more and it does need to turn. It is a dove set up. I will find a dowel, or branch. Then we will be in business.:coffee:

bronsht
09-01-2007, 03:36 PM
Vanjushka: try a lenght of 3/4 inch emt (electrical thin wall conduit). bronsht

Ivantherussian03
09-01-2007, 03:54 PM
OK, Now I am wondering if the mounting system is the right one for my application? I went with a two piece leopold set up, mostly because the one piece seemed to provide more places for dirt to collect.

The instructions seemed to be for multiple applications, so dont laugh too hard...:roll:

I mounted the scope mounts the only way it seemed to work. The instructions indicated the 2 piece mounts could be reversed. The large mount has the windage adjustment, but it interfered with bolt action, when in the rear. I placed it in the front position. In the front it hangs over the ejection port. Is this ok, will it work, or should I get another mounting system? The eye relief is fine.

Scrounger
09-01-2007, 05:52 PM
1. It would appear you have the wrong mount. Your rifle is most likely a short action and the mounts are apparently for a long action.

2. It still might fly if you turn the mount in front (normally used as a rear mount) around so the locking screws are in front.

3. I'm going to take a wild guess that you're sort of new to guns, right?

Ivantherussian03
09-01-2007, 08:30 PM
Not really, I dont much experience with scopes. I guess I got bad advice in the 1st place. Thanks for setting me straight.

Pepe Ray
09-01-2007, 11:07 PM
Ivan;
Don't know if you've already discovered it but, when they said that the mounts could be reversed, they didn't mean location. Try putting the rear base (with windage adj. screws) back in rear but spinning it around to see if it makes a difference (180*).
I don't see how it could interfere with bolt work either way but try it before you give up on it.
Pepe Ray PS Scope installation can be a PITA till you've had some experience.

Ivantherussian03
09-17-2007, 10:45 PM
I called Leopold and talked with them. I reversed the mounts, but flipped the windage screws to the front and mounted it in the rear.They rear sight hangs over the ejection port. Leopold says they (all the brands do that) on the Savage 22-250; no one makes a specialized mount for that rifle.