PDA

View Full Version : 460 Rowland questions

roysha
04-15-2013, 03:29 PM
I see that there are several brands of 1911 clones that it is recommended to not use the conversion on. What I haven't been able to find out is why. I suspect it is frame heat treat issue or perhaps softer materials but have not been able to pin point exactly why those particular makes. Certainly, it would seem to me, the 1911 GIs would be sturdy enough but they are included in the list also. I see Rock Island Armory is not listed on either list so I wonder about it. Anyone have an answer?

Is the issue extreme pressure, violent recoil, or what?

This seems to be an interesting conversion but I am very hesitant to jump in.

Whistler
04-15-2013, 03:54 PM
Frame battering. You need a tight fitting slide on a durable frame. No cast or soft frames.

jmort
04-15-2013, 04:03 PM
I would do a XD conversion.

Andrew Mason
04-15-2013, 07:42 PM
i have been interested in a .460 rowland for my S&W4506
anyone ever ear of this?

lksmith
04-15-2013, 10:03 PM
I see that there are several brands of 1911 clones that it is recommended to not use the conversion on. What I haven't been able to find out is why. I suspect it is frame heat treat issue or perhaps softer materials but have not been able to pin point exactly why those particular makes. Certainly, it would seem to me, the 1911 GIs would be sturdy enough but they are included in the list also. I see Rock Island Armory is not listed on either list so I wonder about it. Anyone have an answer?

Is the issue extreme pressure, violent recoil, or what?

This seems to be an interesting conversion but I am very hesitant to jump in.

Call them. I believe RIA was on that list, they are made in the Phillipines right?
I called them about a High Standard 1911made in the Phillipines. Smooth gun, wonderful trigger pull, and extremely accurate even with tiny sights.
They said that their experience with all of the Phillipines made guns is that the frames are too soft for longevity with the 460 Rowland.
To answer your other question, all of the above. the 460 rowland runs at over double the pressure of a 45acp and it the reason why the compensator and heavier recoil spring are neccessary. One of these years I'm gonna get one of those 460 Rowlands

Whistler
04-16-2013, 03:00 AM
Heavier recoil spring is not really necessary, what you need is a heavier mainspring and a square firing pin stop (if we are talking a 1911 conversion). You want to slow the slide's rearward travel speed, not increase its forward speed.

roysha
04-16-2013, 12:05 PM
Stupid question #7633, what is a square firing pin stop and how does it help slow slide speed? What weight mainspring would you suggest?

Although I have been working on guns for 50 years or so, I am quite new to the 1911 world. I have very little experience with the 1911 platform, therefore have a lot of questions. They never pointed well for me and I really much preferred revolvers, still do, so until the advent of the 22 TCM I never owned a 1911 style pistol.

gunfan
04-16-2013, 09:21 PM
It works with a Glock Model 21. A longer slide and barrel would be a definite enhancement/augmentation due to the higher pressures of the cartridge. You can get away with putting a heavier recoil and firing pin spring in these to handle the "quicker" recoil impulse of the cartridge.

Scott

pipehand
04-16-2013, 10:39 PM
Roysha, the square bottomed firing pin stop uses the hammer to retard the rearward travel of the slide. We talked around it in this post:
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?192816-Ramshot-Silhouette-in-45-ACP
35 Remington is pretty knowledgeable about it.

gunfan
04-16-2013, 11:00 PM
Roysha, the square bottomed firing pin stop uses the hammer to retard the rearward travel of the slide. We talked around it in this post:
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?192816-Ramshot-Silhouette-in-45-ACP
35 Remington is pretty knowledgeable about it.

This has been used to slow the slide of the 1911 pistols chambered for the 10mm Auto for many a year.

Scott