PDA

View Full Version : Does anybody else hate buying holsters as much as I do?

Love Life
04-15-2013, 01:46 PM
Arrgh!!!!

I hate the holster buying process with a passion. The custom makers are continually back logged, or I can't find what I want.

Case in point:
A new pistola is on the way so I am looking for a new holster. All the custom makers are back ordered. The majority of off the shelf holsters are either open ended (I live in a desert so not good), or have a stupid forward cant to them. I can't have them make mods to the off the shelf stuff, so custom is the way to go. Which leads me back to the wait. Which gives me frowny face. Which leads me to look at off the shelf. Which leaves me with a frowny face.

Arrrgh again!!!!

Does anybody else hate the holster buying process as much as I do?

Swamp Man
04-15-2013, 01:59 PM
Here is something a lot of people over look. A lot of leather shops that do leather work for bikers can often make you anything you want and there are some great leather workers that deal with the biker shops. Also if you have a saddle maker near you they will often contract to do custom leather work.

youngda9
04-15-2013, 02:06 PM
No, I love choosing the holster I want from my preferred maker (Lobo Leather). The wait of just a few weeks is worth it compared to the cheap junk you can get right now.

Love Life
04-15-2013, 02:13 PM
Galco and El Paso have some nice holsters and materials, but they either have the lamo blamo forward cant or open ends.

freebullet
04-15-2013, 02:14 PM
It's not to hard to make yer own.

Mk42gunner
04-15-2013, 02:20 PM
It's not to hard to make yer own.

Yep, just make a few patterns out of manila folders fisrt.

Robert

nagantguy
04-15-2013, 02:21 PM
this is why I started leather working, I had a large box full of holsters none were exactly like I wanted I was always cutting them open and making "frankin" holsters. One day while on a pig hunting trip we stopped at an Amish leather shop, he made me a very nice holster for my Blackhawk based on the description I gave him of where I wanted it to ride and so on. it was awesome and it took him about 15 minutes to make. he used only a few tools and scrap leather. a LIGHT went off in my sometimes dim mind, I can do that. Have not made a "wow" $200 holster yet but what I make is what I want, durable and it saves me money and its fun. working on one now that will have a knive sheath and whet stone pocket on it. Pistol, knife and stone on one platform.

runfiverun
04-15-2013, 04:25 PM
Richard check whyte leather works.
or one of springfields posts.
he is a member here and has done a few things for the sight.
I have a couple of his items and they come out nice and sturdy.
I really need to have him make me some more butt pads for my lever guns.

Trey45
04-15-2013, 04:46 PM
Whyte Leather Works. http://www.whyteleatherworks.com/holsters.html
Send Mark an email or PM from this forum. Tell him what you want and he'll tell you if he can make it. He's made two holsters for me so far.
Here's one.
http://images16.fotki.com/v378/photos/6/1809686/11340817/IMG_20130415_163245_067-vi.jpg

Love Life
04-15-2013, 05:54 PM
I already have a belt from Mark and I would hate to get a "lesson" from that belt. Very well made and sturdy. Which reminds me I need to order a spare...

He is currently working on a desert bumming rig for me for a SAA clone.

Time to go peruse his site some more.

GOPHER SLAYER
04-15-2013, 06:56 PM
Exactly the reason I started making my own holsters. I hate the stupid forward cant crase that seems to have overtaken holster world. I was in a gunshop once when a Bianchi salesman came in. I asked the man why all their leather holsters had the stupid forward cant. He said, " that is what shooters buy", I said that is what they buy because they have no choice. To that he informed me that it allowed for a faster draw and to that I said , if that be the case then why do all involved in quick draw commpetion use backslanting holsters? He had no answer for that one. After I learned how simple the process was I would even make holsters for friends. I did that until it became more exspensive to buy the leather than I could get out of the holster. A final thought. I have never seen a holster used in the old west that slanted forward.

Love Life
04-15-2013, 07:05 PM
I hate the forward cant. I draw much faster and smoother from a straight drop.

Charley
04-15-2013, 08:35 PM
Never could find quite what I wanted, in terms of comfort, concealability, or availability, so I started designing and making my own. They work fine, and it's not that tough.

LUBEDUDE
04-15-2013, 09:43 PM
I love buying custom leather!

Sure you have to wait, but at least it is made to my specs. I am one picky SOB when it comes to leather and I want it my way or not at all.

And when it finally arrives, it is well worth the wait.

texassako
04-15-2013, 10:15 PM
I am practicing a bit with leatherworking because it is a real pain shopping for holsters when you are a lefty and tend to own obscure and obsolete firearms. Strangely enough I recently found two Hunter NOS lefty holsters I could use without really looking, after getting the leather supplies.

TXGunNut
04-15-2013, 11:17 PM
I don't mind buying them, seems I can't stand the thought of selling or giving them away. Suspect I have more than I can carry in a BIG box. I like El Paso Saddlery, they generally make to order and their website will kill a few hours easily. Haven't seen any Whyte holsters in person but I like the pics I've seen. I hunt with an EP Saddlery Threepersons holster for my RBH revolver and have a pancake rig from them that hides a 5" 1911 under almost any buttondown shirt. P:rice isn't bad for quality of workmanship and materials on a made to order holster, pretty good, IMHO.

Frank46
04-15-2013, 11:25 PM
I don't know about hating buying holsters as such. I bought two from Rojo who sells here every so often. One is a S&W holster made for the 6.5" bbl 624 I have and the other is a Bucheimer for my 4" 24-3 both in 44 special. Both holsters were in really nice shape and polish nicely. For the P6 9mm I bought about 4 different west german holsters so in that case its sorta a mix and match deal. Frank

km101
04-16-2013, 11:32 AM
Anyone who does custom leather work can probably make you a holster. Try some of the belt makers in your area. Also I have had good luck with the craftsmen at shoe repair shops. They are often willing to try something new and the couple of holsters I have had made were very nicely done and exactly what I wanted, as I was able to be there and make adjustments as it was made.

Kull
04-16-2013, 11:40 AM
First time I ordered a holster from one of the high end makers I was bummed out by the estimated six month wait time. Time passed, the holster finally arrived, and it was absolutely perfect. Above my expectations, so no I don't mind the process.

I hate the forward cant. I draw much faster and smoother from a straight drop.

Love the forward cant with some pistols, others not so much.

BRobertson
04-16-2013, 05:15 PM
Have you looked at Simply Rugged?

Not as fancy, or sometimes not as nicely finished as some, but a little less waiting times

I used to order occasionally from LOBO leather, however the last couple of holsters I got from him

were not nearly as nicely finished as usual, kind of crudely done actually!!

He says he hired someone to help take up the slack....

Bob

.45Cole
04-16-2013, 10:33 PM
Love Life-
Everybody's giving you their recommendation, so I'll give you my $0.02. Ross Leather out of South Africa. They are great (price to match). I go for the premium tooled and lined. I have a double drop rig (SA) and a pancake for my 1911 my brother is trying to steal (it's that good)
http://www.rossleather.com/mtc28lbs-drop-loop-suede-lined-cartridge-belt-wtooling-concho-p-107.html

Springfield
04-16-2013, 10:42 PM
I do have a backlog, but is is not even near what the mould makers are running these days! So Lovelife, what are you looking for exactly?

Love Life
04-17-2013, 10:38 AM
Just a simple belt holster for a Colt Commander 4.25 inch barrel. Straight drop with the grips being level with my waist. I want the trigger and finger guard completely covered. Closed end so when I am sliding down hills I don't get sand and rocks up the barrel (true story). You would think something that simple would be easy to find...Oh and full flap to keep the pine needles, debis, and other stuff off the pistol while I am out loafing around the desert. It also needs to hold tight against the waist for easy draw, and retain the pistol well as well.

Off the shelf holsters I have used were a bit snug on the firearm (more than needed) and by break in the holster makers mean "Your sights will dig out a channel and the slide should hog the leather out before the leather wears on your slide." psh.

JPinMI
04-17-2013, 11:05 AM
Alright lubedude, good to see another Rohrbaugh fan. What is the holster you've got for that? I've got one of RJ Hedley's which is nice but you've got something special there

Springfield
04-17-2013, 11:22 AM
So sort of a combination of the following 2 holsters, but without the fancy tooling? The flap holster has a toe cap but it can also be just sewn around the bottom.

justing
04-17-2013, 11:25 AM
i dislike buying holsters but love using them.

Love Life
04-17-2013, 11:32 AM
That would be perfect Springfield. Add a button snap to flap and all is good. You want to add it to my tab? Can you make it for a 1 1/2 inch belt? Oh and add in a 2 mag holder with button flaps and all brass hardware...

Springfield
04-18-2013, 12:37 PM
Lovelife: here is what a toe plug looks like, also the open-topped mag pouches.

Love Life
04-18-2013, 12:39 PM
The toe-cap looks pretty classy. I like it.

Finster101
04-18-2013, 12:50 PM
Springfield, I like that "Wild Bunch" style holster. I plan on ordering one soon. As far as the forward cant, I like it for concealed carry with my officers model. It just stays tucked where it the grip doesn't stick out and print as much. For me it's more the comfort than the supposed speed.

Love Life
04-18-2013, 12:55 PM
Thanks for taking care of me Springfield. So am I up to half a cow worth of gun leather yet?

Springfield
04-18-2013, 05:04 PM
Finster101: A forward cant is certainly doable if you prefer. LL, I buy big hides, I can get at least 10 holsters out of one, plus maybe 3 belts.

Finster101
04-20-2013, 08:40 AM
Springfield, I should have stated I carry IWB with the officers. The forward cant keeps the grip more in line with my ribs rather than sticking out , plus if works better on the motorcycle as well. I like the wildbunch the way it is, might go with the drop model though. As you can probably tell, I have browsed you website more than once.

James