PDA

View Full Version : Powder and Shot Tube Reservoirs For Hornady

DonMountain
04-15-2013, 11:18 AM
I was wondering if anyone had a source they had bought the 2" OD diameter with 0.060" walled clear plastic tubing common on Hornady powder measures and reloading presses? Any ideas on what types of plastic tubing work the best for this application?

300winmag
04-15-2013, 11:52 AM
I called Hornady and they sent me 2 replacements free of charge 3 years ago.
Here is a link for the longer tubes.
http://www.hornady.com/store/Tube-Hopper-2-Ft-1-Each/

W.R.Buchanan
04-15-2013, 02:15 PM
Hornaday is the easiest route. Also try Mc Master-Carr who sells plastic tube in 6ft lengths.

Randy

johnh57
04-16-2013, 09:27 AM
There is/was an outfit called 'Basic Design Machine' (At least I think thats what they are called) They make aftermarket Hornady 366 stuff - including Lexan shot and powder hoppers. They also make a conversion kit for Ponsness hull feeders that work with sub gauges. In any case - they use Lexan. If you can find them they may have tubes all made up, I don't know.

here is a photo of their work from trapshooters:

www.trapshooters.com/cfpages/thread_archive.cfm?threadid=207022&Messages=13

According to the trapshooters thread the address is www.basicdesignmachine.com - but I don't get anything when I go there. (found a subsequent post on trapshooters that they may have closed the business in late 2012)

TCFAN
04-16-2013, 10:55 AM
I bought from Midway a Lyman plastic tube extra long for the Lyman 55 and it fit on my Hornady and my RCBS powder measure........Terry

vernm
04-16-2013, 12:29 PM
I found the two inch tubing at Home Depot or Lowes. It's used in constructing a vacuum system for a work shop (collect sawdust from saws, etc.). Made new shot and powder tubes for my Hornady 366 Shot Shell Reloader. Made both tubes longer than original and made the shot tube about six inches longer than the powder. That way both shot and powder need to be refilled at about the same time. Cut the tubes with a band saw. Hardest part was drilling the holes for the mounting screws. Recommend marking and drilling one hole, install the screw and then mark the second hole. Mark the center of the hole with a finish nail, then use a round piece of wood like an old shovel handle inside the tube to support it while marking with a center punch and drilling.

TuxAir
04-18-2013, 09:26 PM
Do a search for EXCELON 9713G-6, Tubing, Rigid PVC, 2 In OD, 6Ft, Clear. I know Ebay has it. I sourced mine locally.
It is 2" OD, 1 7/8" ID with a 1/16" wall thickness. Perfect fit on my Pacific press. A 6 foot stick was about $15. Make them any length you want. All you need to do is cut to length and drill 2 holes to pick up the screws on the press. Mine have not yet discolored (I empty powder when I'm done anyhow). The caps I had from the old tube were a perfect fit.

kfouts2
08-24-2013, 03:41 AM
Do a search for EXCELON 9713G-6, Tubing, Rigid PVC, 2 In OD, 6Ft, Clear. I know Ebay has it. I sourced mine locally.
It is 2" OD, 1 7/8" ID with a 1/16" wall thickness. Perfect fit on my Pacific press. A 6 foot stick was about $15. Make them any length you want. All you need to do is cut to length and drill 2 holes to pick up the screws on the press. Mine have not yet discolored (I empty powder when I'm done anyhow). The caps I had from the old tube were a perfect fit.

Perfect solution! Thanks for the tip!

W.R.Buchanan
08-25-2013, 01:29 PM
There is/was an outfit called 'Basic Design Machine' (At least I think thats what they are called) They make aftermarket Hornady 366 stuff - including Lexan shot and powder hoppers. They also make a conversion kit for Ponsness hull feeders that work with sub gauges. In any case - they use Lexan. If you can find them they may have tubes all made up, I don't know.

here is a photo of their work from trapshooters:

www.trapshooters.com/cfpages/thread_archive.cfm?threadid=207022&Messages=13

According to the trapshooters thread the address is www.basicdesignmachine.com - but I don't get anything when I go there. (found a subsequent post on trapshooters that they may have closed the business in late 2012)

If you go to www.trapshooters.com, also search Jim Skeel, he has a running post there. He is a PW dealer and also makes Hi cap Reservoirs for DL 366's.

Here's his direct email mailto:skeeljc@frontier.com

Great guy to deal with.

Incidentally, Trapshooters.com is the shotgun related equivalent to Cast Boolits, and I found out about this place a few years ago from Don Verna who is a member there and here. Many people from here frequent there as well.

Lots more there than just shotgun related stuff. I routinely see great rifles and pistols there for sale.

Randy

seagiant
08-25-2013, 06:26 PM
http://www.eplastics.com/?gclid=CPDBqYPSmbkCFWpk7AodFgMAnA

R.Ph. 380
08-28-2013, 10:54 PM
http://www.eplastics.com/?gclid=CPDBqYPSmbkCFWpk7AodFgMAnA

Thanks Seagiant, I called them yesterday and in 10 minutes they had agreed to cut a 6 foot into 3 two foot tubes and ship them to me. I'll use one and sell the other two on the forum.

Bill