PDA

View Full Version : Today versus 20+ years ago

sgt.mike
04-15-2013, 09:54 AM
sorry ever posted

429421Cowboy
04-15-2013, 10:30 AM
.44 mag was considered about as powerful a handgun an experienced shooter could master. People didn't know deer were bullet proof and couldn't be killed with heavy bullets or boolits at moderate speeds, today we know better and the .44 ain't fitten' to shoot much more than small rabbits, we have half-inch hand cannons for big game.
9mms were the size of .45's today, .380's were the size of 9mms (and often heavier!) yet people managed to carry a gun just fine, now days compact is "too big for everyday carry" so we have subcompact.
Mil-surp ammo was cheaper than reloading (and you could actually find the stuff).
Kids were taught how a gun works from an early age, they respected it and alot less people got hurt. Today, we have violent video games to teach kids how to hunt people and lose all regard for human life.
Elmer Keith would still be around and happy to stomp a mudhole in your head if you said he didn't make the 600 yard .44 shot
Just some i can think of right now!

atr
04-15-2013, 10:55 AM
back then...
lots of good military surplus around and cheap,,,
rifles with real wood stocks and solid actions...
22's were always available..
nobody was wearing blaze orange...
hunting regulations didn't run into the hundred pages and you didn't have to be a lawyer to understand them....

Highgravity
04-15-2013, 12:14 PM
I could get lead for next to nothing and never heard of a zink WW.

357Mag
04-15-2013, 12:58 PM
Sgt Mike -

Howdy !

Other than having to work " stopages ", a good, controllable semi-auto pistol is more easy to shoot " well "; than it is for
Jane/Joe Average to shoot as well w/ a good DA revolver. I used to be an NRA handgun instructor.

More to the point perhaps, is that when using 425ft lb as the minimum threshold for adequate "stoping power " on humans;
handguns/ammo than can produce that level of KE will be of noteable size.... and display noteable recoil.
Plus.... these-size handguns will then present their own demands, as regards carry configuration for the handgun + spare ammo.
Many find the flat-sided semi-autos to be easier to carry concealed, and also like the idea of ready-use ammo on-hand in pre-loaded magazines.

I myself have been carrying "N"-frame .357Mag for 28+yr. It's what works, for me & my carry/shooting circumstance(s).

20yr ago, lots of folks reloaded... for things like handgun, shotgun; and rifle. It helped/helps keep our shooting affordable.
Well at least.... it USED to ?!?

With regards,
357Mag

Love Life
04-15-2013, 01:34 PM
Today:
I enjoy hunting, hiking, fishing, reloading, etc.

20 years ago:
I was in middle school.

historicfirearms
04-15-2013, 02:47 PM
Back then I was 15 and my parents let me hunt by myself all day long. I could comfortably hunt the three surrounding sections, which was all private property. If I saw a neighbor, we would just chat and maybe I would share some of my catch.

Today, I live in the same house I grew up in. My kids aren't allowed off our ten acres because the neighboring land owners have everything posted NO Trespassing. If we do see a neighbor, they get ticked off because we are ruining their weekend hunt at their up north cabin.

rintinglen
04-15-2013, 05:59 PM
20 years ago, S&W was chambering new rounds and making new guns nearly every month. And you could buy them! (If you had the money...I usually did not.)

waco
04-16-2013, 12:14 AM
20 years ago, I was a sienor in high school. It was not uncommon at all to see pick up trucks in the parking lot of the school in the fall with rifles in the window. I know you boys remember those days. You'll never see that again.

dudits
04-16-2013, 12:50 AM
20 years ago I was chasing blonde, red and brunette tail. Now I chase white tails.
People were happier, had more money and a lot more sanity

Silver Jack Hammer
04-16-2013, 09:18 AM
It was May 1989 when I succumbed to the shell shucking crowd, a year and a half after Skeeter Skelton passed away. After carrying a Ruger Security Six stainless through some tight spots for over seven years my first bottom feeder was a Sig Sauer. At our last agency qualification we verbalized our longing for wheel guns, one of the new recruits told us how much he paid for his sunglasses -more than the cost of a Glock. 20 years ago that would have never been the case.

Silver Jack Hammer
04-16-2013, 09:19 AM
When I was in high school we had rifle team practice in the gym. I've got pictures to prove it.

44man
04-16-2013, 09:32 AM
20 years ago I was lugging a 12# Hawken up and down steep hills. If I had a revolver on my hip it was a 7-1/2" or 10" SBH. Now with the Ultra Dot for old eyes I use a shoulder holster for them, a .475 or .500 JRH.
Now a 2 oz gun is too heavy for some. Guns have turned into Mattel plastic toys with grips for an elf.
Revolvers have become better, stronger and bigger but someone still wants a .500 S&W with a 2" barrel???? They brag about shooting recoil but ask for 700 fps loads in a cannon.
Today we have tough guys that buy the biggest and baddest but can't handle them. Pleasure is taking them out of the safe to show friends.
I can't tell you how many .44's for sale with 3 loads shot. The guy got a big shock fast.
Things have changed but I still want a real gun even if it pulls my pants off.
I still love the 12#, .54 Hawken, I just go up the hills slower. I will always be a full size 1911 type guy. A big revolver is a pleasure. A long flinter is pure.
Some come to shoot, tape fingers with band aids and put thick gloves on. How about a bungee cord to the ground? I laugh and I am over 75 years old.

Piedmont
04-16-2013, 11:57 AM
UNFORGIVEN western made the price of Spencer carbines go up sky high. I had to have one :)

At 9 pounds it fires a 52 cal 350 grain boolit at 1000 FPS.
Now there are revolvers that make it look anemic.

Yeah, but those revolvers are nowhere near as cool!

starmac
04-16-2013, 12:38 PM
When I was in middle school, I enjoyed hunting, hiking and fishing. I bought reloads from one of my TEACHERS.

Fast forward to today and there is not many places parents will allow their kids to hunt, hike and fish by themself, and nowhere I know of that you could ammo from a public school teacher. lol

dudits
04-16-2013, 03:01 PM
Wish I would have had bills pops for a teacher!

Trey45
04-16-2013, 03:47 PM
20 years ago South African surplus 308 was selling for something like 100 bucks a case. Surplus 223 was selling for less in bandoliers and stripper clips packed in brown 50 cal ammo cans. Wolf steel cased 7.62x39 was selling for 69 a case. SKS rifles still packed in cosmo and wrapped in grease paper were selling for 89 each or two for 150 at Bobs downtown Norfolk. I should have bought a pallet of the south african ammo....

Reverend Al
04-16-2013, 05:07 PM
... 20 + years ago up here in the land of ice and snow (Canada) we had several surplus dealers that were selling a varied mix of imported military surplus guns. There were some rough, but shootable 1911's (mostly Remington Rands) for $149.99 to $199.99 or if you bought 5 or more of the left over "orphans" towards the end of availability ... $100.00 each. They had a mixed bag of surplus Garands by all of the various manufacturers for about the same cost ... $149.99 to $200.00. (When they got to the "bottom of the barrel" they blew out the left over "roughie" Garands at $100.00 each as well.) There were surplus Danish Garands manufactured by Breda and Beretta for $300.00 that were arsenal refinished and like brand new, mostly with new barrels installed in the 90's before they were put up into surplus inventory. Now they sell for $1,200 to $1,500 if you can find one for sale! You could buy surplus '96 Swede Mausers in 6.5x55 for $69.00 ... or in "select" grade with perfect bores and all matching numbers for $89.99!
Strangely, up here nearly everyone that I knew in the local shooting circles did reload and mostly with cast boolits too, but these days most of the younger generation of new shooters hit the gun shop for a batch of ammo, go shoot it all up, and leave the brass laying on the range. Go figure ...
Revolvers were equally as popular here, but we've always had a strong PPC contingent around here and a dedicated ISPC crowd too ... and there is crossover with some of them shooting both disciplines.
In my case I've always liked to shoot anything that goes "bang" from muzzle loaders (including a 1" bore ml cannon) to Trap or Skeet or revolvers or semi-autos. Just should have bought more of those "good deals" 20 + years ago! (20/20 hindsight like everyone else)
:violin:

lksmith
04-16-2013, 07:36 PM
20 years ago, I was a sienor in high school. It was not uncommon at all to see pick up trucks in the parking lot of the school in the fall with rifles in the window. I know you boys remember those days. You'll never see that again.

I'm still in my 20's and that was true for my high school. But then again, in "small town South Arkansas" we have always been 20years behind the times

jimb16
04-16-2013, 07:57 PM
20 years ago I was shooting cast Boolits because I wanted to. Today I do it because its all I can afford to do!

Silverboolit
04-16-2013, 08:01 PM
When I got out of HS, I bought a Brazilian made 1911 clone, can't remember the name, for 65.00. A NEW Ruger .22 pistol, MK1 target was 70.00. Went to join the local pistol shoothers and bought a 7 3/8 Inch S&W Mod 41...135.00 NIB.. Either had to have that or one of the High Standards.
Man, that was a long time ago....fond memories.

imashooter2
04-16-2013, 08:04 PM
Every gas station in town was happy to have their man carry that bucket of trash out to your car for you...

MT Gianni
04-16-2013, 08:34 PM
20 years ago [1993] there was run on components as Pres Clinton threatened to install a ban and powder and bullets were neatly impossible to find. It was enough to start me casting. People thought Pres Hillary was evil incarnate. What is the change you are talking about?

huntrick64
04-16-2013, 10:14 PM
20 years ago

I could have a bowel movement without planning it.
I could actually see the rear sight, the front sight, and the target without having to just pick one of the three.
I actually had stuff get in my hair.
If something needed plugged into the electrical outlet, I just bent over and plugged it in.
If my wife said "wanna have super sex" I didn't say "I'll just have the soup"
There are many more but I forgot what they were or where I put them.!

Alan in Vermont
04-16-2013, 10:20 PM
In 1973 the local Woolworth store was closing out their gun department and had a NIB 1911, real Colt one, for $99. I looked it over, fondled it and left without it. The next day I went back, with money that time, and it was gone.

km101
04-16-2013, 10:47 PM
20 years ago:

You could still find a Browning Superposed at a decent price.

There was no shortage of ammo or reloading components.

There was NO SUCH THING as tactical anything!

If you were wearing camo, you were probably in the military!

You could still find a place to hunt without paying lease fees or trespass fees!

km101
04-16-2013, 10:51 PM
20 years ago

I could have a bowel movement without planning it.
I could actually see the rear sight, the front sight, and the target without having to just pick one of the three.
I actually had stuff get in my hair.
If something needed plugged into the electrical outlet, I just bent over and plugged it in.
If my wife said "wanna have super sex" I didn't say "I'll just have the soup"
There are many more but I forgot what they were or where I put them.!

Thanks for causing me to spray my monitor with Coke! This one oughta' be a sticky!

AmishWarlord
04-16-2013, 11:07 PM
I was driving a Bronco that got 12 MPG, gas was .75 a gallon. Cost $26 to fill up the Broncos 35 gal tank.
Heard they where planning to ban assault rifles and over 10 round magazines. $10 Powder and Primers where hard to find.
Picked up one of the first Berretta 92FS Stainless pistols in town.
Bought an M1 Carbine for $65
Found out the M1 Carbine ammo was $50 a box
Got into reloading for cheap M1 Carbine ammo.
Bought a crate of SKS's (6) for $200, Gave two away, sold 2 for $250 each the next year after the ban, and still have two.
Bought ten cases of LP primers. I still have three today marked $9.95

Bullshop
04-16-2013, 11:44 PM
Then I could see brass dropped by my feet.
Now I can only see the stains made from lunch.

Area Man
04-17-2013, 08:47 AM
I mailed a check to midway with an order form to buy my reloading supplies. Also, all orders included free freight.

TenTea
04-17-2013, 09:22 AM
I mailed a check to midway with an order form to buy my reloading supplies. Also, all orders included free freight.

Just this morning, mailed a check and order form to Tyler Manufacturing in OKC, OK for some revolver T-Grips. I was thinking "this is just like the old days" when I was sealing up the envelope.
My wife reminded me of the *Please allow 6-8 weeks for delivery* that was so common then.
Whenever I need to cry I read my Bannerman's catalog circa 1936.
http://www.hudsonriver.com/bannerman-island
http://www.opacity.us/site54_bannermans_arsenal.htm
http://www.cornellpubs.com/Images4/Bannerman%201925%20cover.jpg

Kull
04-17-2013, 09:51 AM
Twenty years ago I lived on the east coast, gas was cheap, I got married, and I thought everyone loved guns.

Today I live on the west coast, gas ain't cheap, I'm still married, and I think everyone hates guns.

MT Gianni
04-17-2013, 08:17 PM
20 years ago:

You could still find a Browning Superposed at a decent price.

There was no shortage of ammo or reloading components.

There was NO SUCH THING as tactical anything!

If you were wearing camo, you were probably in the military!

You could still find a place to hunt without paying lease fees or trespass fees!

Re check your calender, I think you are thinking about the Reagan or Bush 1 years.

btroj
04-17-2013, 08:37 PM
20 years ago was, well, 20 years ago.

Today is today. I refuse to live in the past, does me no good.

Char-Gar
04-17-2013, 08:44 PM
Used to;
Revolvers was considered easier to master than the auto's.
Very few considered reloading for having available range ammo.

There are more everyone else chime post your observations this could be a interesting read as it progresses.[smilie=s:

I started on handguns over 50 years so 20 seems like day before yesterday. The revolver was easier to master in single action, but not in double action. Lots of folks shoot autoloaders.

Many, many people reloaded, so I dont think your second point rings true.

NoZombies
04-17-2013, 08:46 PM
20 years ago, most gun guys either thought the internet was a fad, or had never heard of it.

runfiverun
04-17-2013, 09:50 PM
1993 couldn't hardly find sr primers or 223 brass when I did the price had gone up 10%
2013 can't hardly find 223 brass or sr primers and when I do someone has ridiculously jacked up the price over 200%.

I remember going to Chinatown to the custom bow shop in san Francisco in 1968.
my pop wouldn't drive past height and ashbury to get there because of all the hippies and bums and moonies and harichrishnas'.
he voted for Obama the first time round, because he would be good for the railroad union, but raised all kinds of hell about the wall streeters.
he thought Obama was kennedy like.
why did my computer automatically capitalize o but not kennedy?

wv109323
04-17-2013, 10:34 PM
Twenty years ago guns were about a third of what they cost today. Blued metal with a high polish and a walnut stock. Very few had synthetic or laminate stocks.
The ar-15 was gaining popularity but had to be smithed to have it ready for NRA Highpower.
There were about one third of the manufacturers of 1911's as they are today.The pistol crowd was not into all the "action" pistol as today.
There were no policies about lead contamination.
There were very few people using lead boolits in rifles, about everything was jacketed.
When ordering by mail you did not ask the shipping costs. They were reasonable.
It seems to me there were more used guns.
You did not have to mortgage your home to buy a lever action Winchester.
Old worn out guns were old guns and it made no sense to restore them. Now if you have a piece of something rare people will spend a fortune to "restore" it.
Military 1911's were loose fit and many had the opinion that you could not hit a barn with one.
A M-1 Garand was $300.0 if original and primstine.

shtur
04-18-2013, 01:47 AM
20 years ago I was married to a woman that talked to me (don't know what she was saying) while I was dreaming of shooting and hunting. Today I am shooting, hunting, fishing, camping, reloading, casting, more shooting and some poor dork is sitting listening to a divorced woman talking about something. I never knew what she was saying, because..well, I was dreaming of the stuff I'm doing today.

Adam10mm
04-18-2013, 01:58 AM
Today:
I enjoy hunting, hiking, fishing, reloading, etc.

20 years ago:
I was in middle school.
Yup, 20 years ago I was 12yo and planning my first deer hunt that fall.

David LaPell
04-18-2013, 09:32 AM
My first handgun was a .357 Magnum Blackhawk I paid $175 used for at the local gun shop, an old model that had been sent back to get the safety redone. I wish I had spent more time with that gun and practiced. (I am getting another one next week hopefully, but this one has never been back to Ruger and it has the long barrel)
A box of .357 ammo was not the same as a tank of gas in today's economy.
You could find .38 Special and .357 Magnum.
Being a revolver guy didn't make you old fashioned and out of touch as it does today in some eyes.
The .30-30 was still the king of the woods in some places.
Smith & Wessons and Rugers didn't come with locks.
It was nothing to blast through a box of .22 ammo in your handgun without worrying if you were going to find more.
Reloaders were few and far between and no one worried about ammo shortages.

km101
04-18-2013, 06:44 PM
Re check your calender, I think you are thinking about the Reagan or Bush 1 years.

Hey I was just winging-it! I cant remember 2 months ago, much less 20 years!
But I can remember things that happened when I was a kid!! Go figure.

ebner glocken
04-18-2013, 10:16 PM
Twenty years ago I could get a carton of .22s for under 10 bucks.
SKSs were selling for just under 90 bucks and steel core china ammo was under 2 bucks a box.
The gun I carried in the woods mostly was a 686 smith (I still own).
I was trying to convince my father that a 38 really couldn't do anything a 357 could.
My dad found my new colt ar15 intresting, both my grandpas (still alive then) threw curses and sneers at it.
Primers was difficult to get ahold of for a reasonable price (no different today)
I was just discovering this internet thing on my 486 DS at 9800 B/s.
I thought I knew a bit about reloading/shooting.
I seen little need for optics, your eyes are good enough.....right?

Today
Compared to my income then and now....if available, .22s are dirt cheap
SKSs are 3-400 bucks and I don't care to own another anyway, might as well buy an AK for that money
I carry smaller lighter .357s, my father trys to convince me that there's no need in a handgun that doesn't start with "4"
My dad loves his glock 10 mm and ARs, both of my grandpas probably curse him from above for it
I own more ARs but still shoot the M1s/ M1As
I have high speed internet for very little more money, this computer blows my old ones away and was cheaper
I found out that I don't know jack about reloading/ shooting.
I think optics are a great thing, I can't shoot what I can't see.
Recoil hurts more than it used to.

Ebner

got_lead?
04-18-2013, 11:17 PM
1986, Walmart had a colt series 70 government model in the glass display case for $325, colt blue. I had just bought a redhawk for about the same price the week prior, and told myself I couldn't afford it. Been kicking daily for almost 30 years since.

Wheel weights went for 15 to 25 cents per pound and nobody ever thought there would come a day when you couldn't get them anymore. The local department store almost always had .22'a on sale for $7.99 a brick, and cci primers were $11.90 per 1000. I once figured I could load 50 rounds of .38 special for about 80 cents

And smith and Wesson still made revolvers with real firing pins.

km101
04-19-2013, 12:37 PM
And smith and Wesson still made revolvers with real firing pins.

And NO keyholes!

Reverend Al
04-19-2013, 12:56 PM
Oh ... and about that time another shooting friend and I had about 3 tire shops that appreciated our dropping by regularly to pick up whatever wheel weights they had in their shop buckets so that we could "get them out of their way" ... for free of course ...!
:holysheep

Three-Fifty-Seven
04-19-2013, 10:21 PM
Hope

;)

jp99
04-21-2013, 08:14 PM
I was 4 :( sucks to have missed the shooting portion of those years, but I guess I can't complain too much. Just wish I could find primers and powder now. Also wish My Smith wheelguns (revolvers are king) didn't have those locks (easily removed) and that they had longer firing pins from the factory (also an easy change) but such is life. Really hope we can make a change in the coming years for the better not only for the shooting crowd but also for our country as a whole.

Regards,

JP99

Blammer
04-21-2013, 08:29 PM
20 yrs ago we had as violent a video games as we have now DOOM had hit the market and had the "extra bloody" feature, it's still popular today, there was even a Movie made out of it.
20 yrs ago people complained about how society has been degraded since the last 20yrs
20 yrs ago people complained about how violence has gotten out of hand and they youth need to be taught how to respect firearms and each other.
20 yrs ago we commented on how it was common twenty years ago to see firearms in kids school vehicles and how things have changed.

when I look back to 1993, yes that was 20 yrs ago, I was graduating college and see how the same complaints are made today as they were back then. nothing has changed but the time. Funny, everyone wants to change things but no one ever seems to.

rintinglen
04-21-2013, 10:26 PM
20 years ago crime was much more prevalent than it is now. 20 years ago I knew half as much about casting and reloading as I do now--and I had been casting since 1966 and reloading since 1970. 1993 was not far removed from 2013. We had a gun-grabbing boob in the whitehouse, hi-cap mags couldn't be had for love or money, popular guns were in short supply. Seems like only yesterday. But I was much younger and better looking then.