PDA

View Full Version : Cast Boolit recipes for 270 Shortmag

jlchucker
04-15-2013, 09:40 AM
Now that the ammo crunch has really set in for some folks, it seems that people all over are taking a look at cast boolits for all sorts of things. One of my brothers used to be skeptical of me using cast boolits in most of my rifles a few years ago. This brother was particularly fond of his brand new boltgun in 270 shortmag. His romance with that rifle was dampened a little when he happened on a large deer in a brushy swamp, and later discovered the 35 Remington--and my cast boolit loads. Since then, he's had me casting for his leverguns. He lives near a commercial caster, and now buys the boolits for his handguns there. These days, this brother is finding out about the value of cast boolits in all sorts of things. HOWEVER--the Lyman loading manuals seem to indicate that (so far) there's no mold designs--not Lyman anyway, suitable to use in very many shortmag calibers--including brother's 270. Have any of you guys loaded cast boolits for 270 Shortmag? If so, what mold? What kind of luck have you had? I told brother a few years ago he should have bought a regular 270 Winchester. Is my brother's whizzybang shortymag destined for the back of a closet somewhere for lack of ammo? :cbpour: