PDA

View Full Version : two fingers on the trigger

olafhardt
04-15-2013, 02:20 AM
I often read of shooters having trouble with long or stiff da trigger pulls. What I often do is put the tip of my weak side finger on the tip of my trigger finger and the two finger trigger pull. This is very natural from a two handed grip and it works for me. Surely others have tried this. Could some of those comment?

cat223
04-15-2013, 07:58 AM
I would love to recite to you some highly technical reason why your "two finger" trigger pull is inefficient or even dangerous, but i can't. As you said, "it works for me." Every time I go to training I am being shown some brand new, cutting edge stance or grip or technique. This has formed in me a personal opinion that if you are proficient with your weapon, can hit your intended taget, and can properly manipulate your weapon, you should just stick with what you know and hone those skills. On the other hand, with the right marketing, inside of a year your "two finger triggering technique" could be in use by every professional shooter in the world.

btroj
04-15-2013, 08:03 AM
I don't know that the professional shooters would pick up on it. Get it into a gun rag and every mall ninja and town will insist it is the only way to go.

waksupi
04-15-2013, 11:35 AM
There is at least one local school that tell women to use the method on double action revolvers if they have problems squeezing the trigger. It is only good for real close social engagements, as there are too many opposite forces working on the trigger for good accuracy work at any longer range. I have big enough hands and fingers, I would never be able to get two in the trigger guard.
I think you would be better off doing some hand exercises to increase your finger strength.

runfiverun
04-15-2013, 09:29 PM
i have just learned to cock the gun with my left thumb and shoot everything single action.

btroj
04-15-2013, 10:01 PM
How's that work on a Glock Run?

I think a properly fit gun with a better trigger pull would solve the problem for pretty much anyone. that and more practice.

olafhardt
04-16-2013, 12:43 AM
I don't have to puts two fingers in there trigger gaurd just put the tip of the weak on the tip of the trigger finger where it sticks out of the gaurd.This doesn't seem to hurt accuracy and seems to balance some of the forces. I find that my two index fingers coordinate very well together.It works on my Taurus 24and my taurus pt 22,also works on my Nagant 95. It also works on my S&W 34 which has been to the Performance center and has the best trigger I have ever encountered. I read that years ago H&R started putting stiff triggers on handguns as a safety measure to keep kids from firing them. This idea has some appeal to met as a grandad.

freebullet
04-16-2013, 01:07 AM
I find long heavy triggers can often be made better cheaply. Having 2 fingers in the trigger guard is counter productive to good marksmanship and safe weapons handling, and could get you shot while fumbling. Remember fine motor skills go out the window instantly in intense situations.

fcvan
04-16-2013, 01:29 AM
I have one gun with an atrocious double action pull and a sweet crisp single action pull. It's an FEG PA 63 .380 ACP I bought 20 years ago. The FEG is a Hungarian knock off of the Walther PP. It was a good price and I didn't even dry fire it a the LGS. Boy was I in for a surprise when I got to the range. I left it alone figuring in the heat of things I wouldn't notice and at te range I could manually cock it. I never considered using two fingers.

A couple years ago, I researched the piece and found the heavy pull was by design as it was ordered that way for a European law enforcement agency as an additional safety measure. The fix is either clip 2 coils off the hammer spring or replace it with a stock Walther spring. I'll leave it alone as it shoots fine but I don't think I'll use two fingers.

MtGun44
04-17-2013, 01:38 PM
A friend has a Polish 9x18 that has about a 35 lb dbl action pull. I can just
pull it and it is no fun.

Most guns can be reduced in pull and if you have normal hands (there are a lot
of health issues that can bear on this) you can exercise to improve strength.
Age takes strength away, but if no underlying problems like neuropathy or
arthritis, you should be able to gain strength.

Bill

olafhardt
04-18-2013, 03:07 AM
I have been on insulin for over 20 years I do have neuropathy, and arthritis, cateracts, and I tremble especially when I try to hpld something in one hand and I hate to exercise. I started this years ago when I was full of boolit lube and vineager. It is as easy for me as any two handed hold and as accurate. It cures a lot problems for me. I am trying to pass this on to people who have trouble pulling triggers. Knowing that we have a lot of members who are broad minded researchers on this forum I invite you all to try it and critique it