PDA

View Full Version : Shotgun Ballistics Program

silverman1
04-14-2013, 11:58 PM
Another of our club members,has a ballistic program for metallic cartridges.
You can type in a caliber,bullet weight,,[cast or jacketed] and the powder,and it will give you loads for powders that are not listed in Lyman's etc.
I was wondering if anyone published a program like this for shotguns.
With the only powder available period, at the last 3 gun shows I was at, was blue dot.
I am trying to load buckshot,and the IMR powder I usually use is non existant.
I have been loading metallic,since 64,but have only loaded shotgun for the last 10 yrs., and have allways stuck to the data listed.
It amazes me how much chamber pressure can change,by just changing brands of primers.
I will be the first to admit,that I am not as knowledgeable at shotshells,as I am at metallic.
I am amazed at some of these guys on utube who launch everything from dogcrap,to coat hanger flechettes out of a shotgun,and still have all their fingers,and eyes.
After paying $700.00 for my O/U, and $400 for my 870,I am leery of just dumping garbage down the bore.
I did gunsmithing,in the 70's and 80's,and saw my share of blown up guns.
One that amazed me was a expensive O/U that had the top chamber split loose on both sides
and the top rib was still attached to it,but was bent at 180 deg.1/2 way up the barrel.
When I asked him what he loaded it with,he said he did not have the correct MEC bushing,so he used the next smaller bushing,and BOOM!
I cut open a couple of loads,and was within 1.5 gr light of what the chart said it should throw.
Doing metallic,if you drop a couple of gr. as a starting load,you are normally safe.

Swamp Man
04-15-2013, 01:18 PM
I haven't heard of a program for shotshells but the powder maker should have load data on there site for the powder you have.

dverna
04-16-2013, 08:00 PM
You will not blow up a shotgun with a load that is 1.5 gr lighter than the recipe calls for.

The guy double charged or made some other mistake. My buddy blew apart a O/U by putting a 28 ga in front of a 20 ga. Sh!t happens.

Follow the recipes or contact the manufacturer if you have a load you want checked as they have tested loads not listed in their published loads.