PDA

View Full Version : Lee 1000

04-14-2013, 10:09 PM
Just playing with the camera phone and youtube. But in spite what some people say they work fine for me.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KX-JARYYkzE

beex215
04-15-2013, 01:15 AM
the case feeder is a well worth investment

04-15-2013, 07:59 AM
That's the press I which out calibers on. I have the case feeder but don't like adjusting between calibers.

Westwindmike
04-15-2013, 09:11 AM
I never could get more than 10 primers in a row to feed and seat properly. Sold mine.

04-15-2013, 12:01 PM
I never could get more than 10 primers in a row to feed and seat properly. Sold mine.

If you notice I tap the primer feed after I pick up the loaded rnd. The timing adjstment needs to be right.

youngda9
04-15-2013, 12:28 PM
A few comments.
Get the case feeder, it's worth it.
There is a metal pin piece that is supposed to eject the cartridges for you, set up a box below the exit ramp to catch them...it doesn't appear you are utilizing this feature. Both of these steps eliminate the need for you to handle brass at all during the loading process.

For primer feeding you must make sure the primer ramp is clean (there is no debris). An occasional tap on the primer tray is needed as the sometime bind at the entrance to the ramp (like traffic). This dosn't need to be done every pull of the handle...just make a mental check to look at it every pull. I only tap it when I can tell they are not going down the ramp.

This should make your reloading much easier. I wouldn't put my left hand on the vertical bar either, looks like a good way to pinch fingers if your hang is there at the wrong time.

With this method the right hand should stay on the handle and the only thing your left hand needs to do is to place bullets.

dverna
04-15-2013, 01:32 PM
If you take all the advice you may wind up discovering why the press has such mixed reviews - LOL Primer feeding can be a real PITA but your method addresses it.

Holding on the left support bar is the only thing that may cause a "boo-boo" at some point.

I am one of those "tool snobs" and wind up buying the more expensive stuff. Plus I have a low frustration level so I hope more money means higher quality.

If the Lee works for you, and you are happy with it, ignore us and be happy. Not everyone needs to produce 800+ rounds an hour.

Blackknight
04-15-2013, 02:39 PM
I have three Lee 1000 presses and they all have problems with the primer station. One is used for the .380 Auto and another is for the .45 ACP. The cases for the .45 have to be run through the cleaning process so I have started punching the primer, cleaning the pocket and priming with the RCBS hand tool. Then after removing the primer punch from the sizing die I run them through the press and have had no more problems with a jammed press. Leaking powder from a missed primer started most of the problems in the past, once a primer failes to seat things go down hill fast. Nest is to oil very spairlingly.

geargnasher
04-15-2013, 02:41 PM
It ain't for everyone, but I'm happy with all four of mine. The case collator is worth its weight in gold. Placing a strip of Scotch tape across the open top of the primer feed chute will keep powder from filtering down there from the Autodisk measure. Also, putting a couple of pieces of tape across the back of the chute to ensure the two halves are held tightly together helps. Make sure the cross pin in the primer feed chute sticks out far enough to the right to engage the grooves in the right rear support column so the tray is "agitated" as the shellplate carrier is moved up and down, it really helps as it shakes the tray side-to-side and settles the primers. Never let the primer chute run empty and it will feed just fine.

Gear

Moonie
04-15-2013, 03:08 PM
I currently own a pro1000, have owned 2, not really had much problem with them, the LoadMaster I own is another matter, but with the newest priming systems it seems much improved.

SlowSmokeN
04-15-2013, 03:19 PM
I guess I was one of the lucky ones. Love my Pro 1000, never an issue.