PDA

View Full Version : Which 45/70 should I look for?

huntrick64
04-14-2013, 09:59 PM
Trying to trade my Lew Horton 41 mag for a 45/70 but need some additional info on the rifle. Primary shooting will be at my house up to about 450 yds. I have access to some really long ranges as well if I get the itch. Will also take hogs and whitetails as well. Wanting a falling block (1874) with 32 - 34 octagon barrel and double triggers. There appears to be several makes of these available and I think C. Sharps would be at the top of the list. Where do the other manufactures fall in like Uberti, Pedersoli, Taylor, Armsport, etc?

I will probably shoot modern powder and will be casting/loading my own. Looks like people mature towards blackpowder instead away from it, but I do want to be able to handle the pressure of modern loads.

Any help would be appreciated.

country gent
04-14-2013, 10:12 PM
I have a C Sharps arms rifle on order and Shiloh Sharps is right there with quality ( but have hear wait for one is longer) . I also have a pedersoli Long range model Sharps 34" half round half octogon barrel. It is a 12 lb rifle and shoots 45-70 paper patched like a dream. Its a very good rifle Fit and finish isnt quite up to CSA, Shiloh or the other semi custom builders, but price isnt the same area either. Look at the web sites talk to the ones that intrest you discuss options and features. They are all more than willing to talk about their wares.

Shooter
04-15-2013, 10:26 AM
If your not wedded to Sharps, the Miroku 1885's do well. I don't care for that big heavy hammer fall on a Sharps.

Gunlaker
04-15-2013, 05:36 PM
I'm a big fan of the Montana made Sharps rifles, either Shiloh or C. Sharps. I have a couple of each and I really enjoy them. The Pedersoli rifles can be good too. A friend has one and I've seen him shoot some really nice groups with it. From an aesthetics point of view I prefer the Montana rifles though.

As far as the other Italian rifles I have not heard much good about them, Pedersoli seems to be the best of them by far.

Chris.

hickstick_10
04-15-2013, 07:06 PM
Shiloh is the only maker of 1874 that states their guns will tolerate a Ruger#1 load in their 45-70s.

softpoint
04-15-2013, 08:24 PM
I'm a fan of the Brownings. I have a b78 Browning and a BPCR Browning in 45/70. Was just out a couple of days ago clanging a disc blade with the BPCR at 600 yards with a 500 gr. plainbase, 21 gr. 2400.Windy day too, amazing how far sideways the wind can blow a boolit at 600 yards.

Don McDowell
04-15-2013, 11:16 PM
You might consider a Ruger #1 in 458 or 458 lott. That way you can load up all the smokeless you care to beat the hell out of yourself with,mount a modern leupold scope, yet still be able to load blackpowder to the duplicate the 45-90 and 45100.

huntrick64
04-16-2013, 08:29 AM
Thanks for all of the input. I can see this is going to be like everything else I have done, start small and work up. Probably have to stay with an Itallian made gun to not exceed $1,500 with the sights (used). Will probably start there and try to migrate towards a Shiloh Sharps as funds are available.

I am thinking about going on food stamps for a while and see if that helps. I can't afford rib-eye either and the guys in front of me at the grocery store buy them and they are on food stamps. I see a lot of people buy new bass boats right after they get approved for disability so it might actually work (the boat, not me).

Don McDowell
04-16-2013, 09:21 AM
If you have the 1500 you only need another 300 to get the basic Shiloh or C Sharps. You can also get a C Sharps 75 , or one of the Winchester current production 1885's.

Gunlaker
04-16-2013, 10:37 AM
If you are on a budget you might be best buying a good used gun rather than a lower quality new one. One thing that's easy to overlook are the sights. A good set of sights is not cheap.

Have a look at the Arizona Sharpshooters web site and you'll get an idea of prices on some good used rifles. They've got some nice rifles on consignment there now.

Chris.

John Boy
04-16-2013, 11:07 AM
huntrick, it all depends on the thickness of your wallet. Yes, the Shiloh's and C Sharp's have excellent fit to finish an quality barrels. I have three 45-70 rifles. Two Pedersoli's (that have match grade barrels and above average fit to finish) and a CPA Stevens with a Badger barrel. Really, the targets don't know the difference in accuracy between the Pedersoli and the Badger barrels. I shoot 1000 yds with each and have pictures to show they both are accurate at that range with black powder

huntrick64
04-16-2013, 08:01 PM
I found a gun today within 30 min of my house. Appears new in the box, but is on consignment. It is a Uberti 1874 Standard with set trigger and probably a 30" barrel. The barrel is the problem though, IT IS ROUND, and parkerized I think. It doesn't look blued or browned. Now the gun has a full length 4X scope with it and a Taylor mid-range tang sight still in the box as well as the original sights that came with the gun. $1,550. Price seems OK, but I really don't like the looks of the round barrel. She'll come along sooner or later.

EDG
04-17-2013, 12:37 AM
If you can find a used Pedersoli with a shotgun butt so it does not beat you to death with the small curved butt plates. You should be able to find a nice used Pedersoli Sharps for under $900. Most owners touch off a few rounds of factory ammo and never shoot them again, so most used 45-70s are in like new condition.

NickSS
04-17-2013, 03:46 AM
I have Shiloh C Sharps and Pedersoli 1874 rifles and they are all good. For pure good looks and resale value you can not beat the Shiloh products and C Sharps are so close to Shiloh that they are difficult to separate. The Pedersoli's are good rifles and the fit and finish is pretty good for a factory rifle and their barrels are excellent. As far as accuracy goes you would have to be a master class shooter to tell the difference and I am not there as my eyes and coordination are not what they used to be. One thing I have noticed is that Pedersoli rifles are selling new for only a couple hundred bucks below a Shiloh or C Sharps so in my opinion they are not worth the difference in price. Buying the used is another matter. I was in the local Cabella's gun library a couple weeks ago and saw one for less than $800 in 45-70.

webradbury
04-17-2013, 10:13 AM
If you can find a used Pedersoli with a shotgun butt so it does not beat you to death with the small curved butt plates. You should be able to find a nice used Pedersoli Sharps for under $900. Most owners touch off a few rounds of factory ammo and never shoot them again, so most used 45-70s are in like new condition.

I agree with the small, cruelly designed butt plate!!! I absolutely love my C. Sharps '74 in 45-70. I shot it 10 times yesterday and have the marks to prove it today. Those sharp corners just dig into my shoulder...hate to sound like a wuss but I'm going to rig up some sort of leather pad to slip over the stock (and yes that does make me sound like a big sissy but I'm getting to the age that i don't care).

I can't vouch for the other makers as this is the only one I have owned but I have never heard any C. Sharps or Shiloh owners say they wish they had bought a different brand. If you can swing the price, you will not be disappointed!

Definitely look around for deals...I found mine used with honestly about 100 rounds through it. I traded the guy and actually felt kinda bad cause I got it at such a steal. I think he bought it and decided it just wasn't for him. They are out there, you just have to beat the bushes a little! Anyway, that's my two cents. Will

Don McDowell
04-17-2013, 05:01 PM
There's a very good deal on a Shiloh #3 at bpcr.net right now.

BruceB
04-17-2013, 06:09 PM
Thhat BPCR site is nothing but a damned jungle.

WHERE is this rifle posted for sale? It's not on the "guns for sale" listing.... there are NO rifles listed there.

Chill Wills
04-17-2013, 06:34 PM
Bruce, try this
http://www.bpcr.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=6661

huntrick64
04-17-2013, 09:57 PM
Thanks guys, $2,000 is out of line for me because I woyuld probably still have to add different sights. I did notice that Cabelas has the Pedersoli Hunter with 32" (I believe) oct barrel and set trigger on sale from $1,399 marked down to $1,099. I could do that and still afford to put Baldwin front and rears on it! Now, that might be like putting a $2,000 stereo in a 1981 Mazda B2000, but it would still get me to work AND have good music. I am starting to sound like my teenage son.

Gunlaker
04-18-2013, 09:27 AM
Before buying that rifle I'd check the weight. Years ago I owned a Pedersoli model called a "Basic Hunter" with a light weight 28" barrel, single trigger, and it was way too light to be enjoyable to shoot.

If the weight is right I imagine you'll be happy with it.

Chris.

bbqncigars
04-27-2013, 03:53 PM
You might consider the Past shoulder pad to tame a vicious gun. I wear one when shooting my old 1892 Marlin that has the original steel crescent shoulder-munching butt plate on it. It's a fairly heavy gun in 38-55, but that butt plate can be nasty.

Monttexan
04-27-2013, 08:13 PM
Look up Sharps replicas on the Guns International site, and keep tabs on Gunbroker. I bought a Pedersoli with a 32" barrel a few weeks ago for under $1100 including shipping and the FFL transfer. I would be surprised if it has had 20 rounds through it. That was off Gunbroker after I'd missed a couple of good deals on Guns International. I told my dad about the purchase and he asked me to keep an eye out for one for him. About a week later I spotted an Uberti (have Pedersoli barrels with a better quality finish) Quigley model on Guns International. I called him instantly and he ended up buying it for a very good price, as new in the box from a Cabella's in Minnesota. A little patience, and a few hours spent poking around could pay dividends. In the midst of my searching I acquired an extra Pedersoli mid-range silhouette sight that I need to get listed on the selling/swapping forum too. Patience, patience. :)