PDA

View Full Version : Gluing wood to Rynite stock

Spokerider
04-14-2013, 08:45 PM
I'm looking to modify my contender Rynite stock. I need to glue / bond wood to the plastic.
Anybody done this?
Wondering what the best glue to use is. I know gluing anything to plastic is challenging at best.

I've got devcon bedding epoxy, west system epoxy, a few 5 minute type epoxies, JB Weld and PC 7 epoxies.

Thanks.

bcp477
04-14-2013, 10:53 PM
Gorilla glue (water activated polyurethane glue) will probably do it. That stuff will bond most anything.

All I can say is that I've used it (successfully) on wood, leather, plastics (though not specifically Rynite that I know of)....and probably other stuff. Never had a problem getting a bond - and never had a problem with it holding.

Spokerider
04-14-2013, 11:41 PM
Yes, perhaps, but have you tried it?
I thought of gorilla glue but have never used it for anything. Epoxies have always been my go-to adhesives in the past.

nhrifle
04-15-2013, 12:40 AM
My first choice would be a high strength slow cure epoxy. I started using that to bond knife handles to blades in the knives I built and have used it to bond wood to many other materials with satisfaction. Clean your parts well, give them a liberal coating, clamp securely and let em be for a day.

357maximum
04-15-2013, 12:58 AM
I have used both Devcon Bed and West Systems on traditional bows....as long as you rough the tupperware up a bit after total degrease you will be fine. Both are great products and will hold up to both, flex and shock loads.

Cheek Piece???

crappie-hunter
04-15-2013, 07:09 AM
I used JB Weld on mine still holding up well. Havent tried to beat it off with a hammer yet.

rmcc
04-15-2013, 08:55 AM
I use Brownells Acraglas to bed synthetic stocks but your Devcon should work also. As stated above make sure surface is rough so product has something to bond to. If in doubt, drill some holes at different angles to make a locking bond surface. Holes don't have to be very deep. Have used this trick on those old "fiberglass" stocks that nothing would stick to.

rich

Spokerider
04-16-2013, 11:23 PM
Thanks for the replies.

I contacted Choate, the maker of the TC rynite contender stocks, and the tech rep told me to use either Devon metal filler or Marine Tex.

I'll give the Devcon a go.