PDA

View Full Version : .223 & noe 225107

Jim
04-14-2013, 03:45 PM
Decent shooting weather has finally arrived here, so I got to do some testing this morning.

Back in January, I bought a wrong handed bolt action Savage Axis Youth Model in .223. I fired it this morning for the first time.

I picked up where I left off last fall with my subsonic load testing, this time using the little NOE 225107. The boolits were lubed with my Graphlox and seated to the front of the forward driving band.

Prior to loading, I tested for the bottom of the pressure window with Bullseye, Red Dot and Unique. I was really surprised to find that, with Bullseye and Red Dot, the boolits actually fired with no more than .4 grains of powder. With Unique, it took .6 grains.

Each load group consisted of three each and all shots were fired at 100 feet. Using a Tasco World class 3X9X40 illuminated reticle scope (illumination switched off), the scope was set at 6X.

These tests are neither complete nor conclusive. Further testing will follow.

I have posted a full report with photos of targets on my 'Target Files: 223/cast boolits' page. (http://floydpics.wordpress.com/target-files-223-cast-boolits-2/) Scroll down the page to the bottom of target number 11 where this morning's test report begins.

TheCelt
04-15-2013, 11:05 AM
Jim,

That 1.4ge bullseye load sure looks promising!! 2.2 gr load ain't to shabby either. That 2.0 gr load with the Savage looks good too. Interesting testing Jim, what alloy are the boolits cast from?? What did ya size them to?

Jim
04-16-2013, 08:28 AM
Jim,

That 1.4ge bullseye load sure looks promising!! 2.2 gr load ain't to shabby either. That 2.0 gr load with the Savage looks good too. Interesting testing Jim, what alloy are the boolits cast from?? What did ya size them to?

The alloy is 50/50 WWs and range scrap and the boolits were loaded 'as cast'.