PDA

View Full Version : I would like some opinions

CanoeRoller
04-14-2013, 01:28 PM
I got out of the habit of shooting my 40 and 45 caliber buffalo rifles (I lived in a placed that just made the whole thing to difficult). But I moved, and after 15 years, I am getting my rifles back up and smoking.

My how things have changed. 15 years ago, pretty much everyone just used Goex, Federal 215's, (to make the Goex work), SPG (to make the Goex work), and the best scores in a BPCR match would top out at 30, (because the Goex never really worked).

Now there are several Black Powders on the market, Swiss, Schuetzen, Graf, Old Eynsford (Goex?). Folks are shooting everything from pistol primers to large magnum rifles. Lead is scarce and hard to find at all and by no means free.

And to make things more frustrating, there is a run on all things shooting, so I can not get primers or brass of any kind. This means I am stuck just spinning my wheels, (or my left over slugs in home made lube) until I can get some components. I can stare at the few rounds of brass that I still have, which were stored for 15 years, and a handful of loaded rounds, also stored for 15 years.

Since just getting some primers is now something like being on a hunt, with getting out of bed before dawn, to try to beat the other guy to the one box of primers that might be on the store shelf, tracking down lead, and so on. I don't want to waste my time looking for components that will be just frustrate me.

I am therefore wondering what would you, the folks who have remained true to the sport, recommend I try to get my hands on in the way of components? Which sources do you prefer?

Thanks

country gent
04-14-2013, 02:11 PM
I have been using Goex in my rifles with good results ( it does like more compression than some of the others though) For primers Rem 9 1/2s work for me though I do put an aluminum foil disk between the primer and case head. For lube Im using emmerts improved that I make here at home. 50% beeswax 40% crisco shortening 2 tablespoons of canola oil and 5-10% anahydryous lanolin. Card wads are cut from cereal boxes. Right now bullets are 500 grn cup based Paper Patched from Buffal Arms company till I decide on a mold. All I can get here in northwest ohio is goex powders and that can be hard to find. Ive been very happy with the service and professionalism Of Buffal Arms.
Get those rifles out and put them to use open up the eyes of your fellow shooters at your range. I always get stares and questions from people at the range shooting my sharps.[smilie=w:

john hayslip
04-14-2013, 02:44 PM
Your profile doesn't give our location. Perhaps if we knew what part of the country you were from someone might be able to help.

Don McDowell
04-14-2013, 03:10 PM
To say that Goex never worked, is sort of telling, but you can order blackpowder from Powder Inc and get a selection of just about all brand of blackpowder so you can find something that you think will work.
Not many folks use magnum primers , mostly large rifle of some form(br2 and federal match being quite popular) or large pistol primers
Bullet lubes have grown numerous, SPG still has a huge following, Bullshop NASA, DGL, Whitelightning,, there's numerous excellent lubes out there.
If you had enough cases 15 years ago, unless you lost them you should still have enough cases. But places like Grafs,Buffalo Arms, Widners, Cabela's, and others all have their dedicated customers.
Lastly scores have gone up because folks have learned more about how to shoot the bpcr rifles well, and spend a lot of time applying their earned knowledge.

CanoeRoller
04-14-2013, 05:53 PM
I did not mean to imply that Goex was a failure, just that it was all that here was, so everything was done to make Goex work. Scores have gone up (I would assume) as shooters find powders, primers, lubes and so on, which fit their particular rifle's tastes - and passing on what each of learned through trial and error so the next guy had a leg up. Everyone has been relearning what our great-grandpapies knew, and we somehow forgot.

Since I will have to scrounge for a while with the current run on shooting supplies, much of my shooting will be limited to my mouth until I can gather up all the bits I am missing.

I relocated from Boston to a little island just outside of Seattle.

Dragoon 45
04-14-2013, 07:42 PM
For certified lead alloy, John Walters of Walters Wads in Norman, Oklahoma is hard to beat on his prices. 20:1 alloy is $2 per pound and he ships in USPS Flat-rate boxes so the shipping does not eat you alive. If you are interested I have his phone number or e-mail.

montana_charlie
04-14-2013, 09:08 PM
Federal large rifle primers here at $50 per thousand.
Price is not unreasonable considering circumstances, and they are available now.
http://www.ammunitiontogo.com/product_info.php/pName/1000-federal-champion-no-210-large-rifle-primers/cName/primers

CanoeRoller
04-16-2013, 09:09 AM
Thank you, it helps a lot to be pointed in the right directions. It feels almost like starting from scratch. I have forgotten many details about my loads, so I shall have to burn some powder to get my rifles back up to snuff.