PDA

View Full Version : Free walnut!

nekshot
04-14-2013, 12:40 PM
I must be living right! A older gentleman saw some of my stock work and smiled and said he has a piece of wood he wants to show me. Well this past week he drove in and took this off his pick up and gave it to me free. I was immensely thankful until starting sanding it to see the grains and how I would cut the blanks out. Then I was speechless when I saw the grain. I am not used to getting this type of grain anymore. He said he had this wood for 15 years and then said with a grin he knows where there is more. God bless this man and good hearted folk in general.Repawn graciously gave me 2 mags for my romanion 69 trainer.67443 Acts like this help keep the right focus to all of us that we only go around once and how will we be remembered! The pieces are 42 inch long and the cracked piece my son claimed for his buffalo gun build. I see some mannlichers in the future.

jonp
04-14-2013, 12:45 PM
That is fantastic wood. I have about 1,000 ft of black cherry I cut for a floor near 20yrs ago and never used sitting in a barn at home. I'd forgotten about it until I saw your planks. I'm going to have to check it out and do something with it

nekshot
04-14-2013, 03:10 PM
I would be pleased to offer some ideas! I set up my bandsaw to a 7 inch throat and it will rip tru 1\8 cuts with fence. Allows me to make stocks with off fall pieces of wood, plus the laminated stocks are not so climate changeable.

izzyjoe
04-14-2013, 03:57 PM
Wow, that is some nice wood! you lucky dog.:)

dbosman
04-14-2013, 04:42 PM
So what caliber rubber band gun are you going to carve for the gentleman to give to his grand kid? ;-)

nekshot
04-14-2013, 05:30 PM
air soft sounds like a good idea! My son will even checker it.