PDA

View Full Version : 7.62x54r loads

Stumbles
08-31-2007, 12:22 PM
Looking for a reduced load for my MN 91/30 using a 187 gn ww gas check boolet. Grooves as big as your leg, but barrel looks very good. Will SR 4759 work??? Any suggestions. Thanks.

Larry Gibson
08-31-2007, 03:22 PM
Yes 4759 will work; start with 18 gr and work up in 2 gr increments to 30 gr or until accuracy goes south.

Lee's C312-185 shoots real well for me out of my Finn M39 and my Russian M91/30 Sniper over 28.5 gr of 4895 (with a 1/2 gr dacron filler) or 24 gr of AA5744. Both loads run in the low 1800 fps and are very accurate. I use NS'd fire formed Norma cases and WLR primers.

Larry Gibson

Buckshot
08-31-2007, 06:16 PM
..............Stumbles, welcome to the board. The Big Russian (vs the #) Rooski Shortski, or 7.62x39) is pretty much like the other full power military cartridges of the era, and will resond to load data for them. Naturally there IS a bit of difference so starting on the lighter side of data is the way to go.

Powders from Unique to 4198 can do very well. 4198 is kind of the fastest of the slower powders (makes sense in my mind :-)), and it and those slower would probably require a filler to do their best work.

................Buckshot

auzzie101
09-04-2007, 10:04 PM
What would you use as a filler? I've heard of using corn meal for black powder, would that work?

auzzie

Frank46
09-05-2007, 01:54 AM
What would you use as a filler? I've heard of using corn meal for black powder, would that work?

auzzie

auzzie, no fillers. I have a finnish reworked M27 that likes the lyman 314299 sized to .3135, 21 grs 4759, win lr primer and hansen cases. The hansen cases were bought years ago as loaded ammo, but when I bought the M27 and looked at the bore. I made the command decision that this rifle would see only cast boolits only.
Cases then were hard to come by for the rooski and at the time hansen was the only affordable case. Yes there was norma but it was and is expensive. A few years later, federal started the american eagle/norma ammo and got really lucky and bought a bunch. Hope this helps. Frank

Buckshot
09-05-2007, 03:26 AM

auzzie

...............Fillers can be an issue for some. And there are fillers, and then there are fillers :-) A fluffy type filler like a spun polyester (we just say dacron and people know what we mean) is actually more air inside the case then actual filler, but it does block the powder from straying all over inside the case.

Corn meal, Cream of Wheat, and wheat bran are solid fillers and have their place, but not usually in a BN case or over charges of easy to ignite faster powders. There is another so called solid filler and that's a ground polyester first available to shotgun shooters as a shot buffer. Winchester/Olin called it Grex, but it's no longer on the market. LIke saying 'Dacron' if you say Grex people know it's a ground poly. Another is available from Ballistics Products but it's more finely ground.

The ground poly works better in BN cases as it has a natural lubricity to it which the CF's (Cereal Fillers) lack. While it too may come up solid behind the boolit and over the expanding powder gasses, it will compress through the neck constriction easier.

I'd only use CF's in straight cases and Grex in a BN if the charge filled say, 80% of the case to begin with.

A filler normally isn't required for the faster shotgun/pistol type powders for a couple reasons. One is that they're usually pretty easy to ignite. So if they're spread along the length of the case, the primer will still do a good job of lighting it. Once you get into the slower powders and partial caseloads, like a half case or so, at that point is when I'd recommend a dacron type filler (with smokless powder).

Grab a cup of coffee and do a search on the board using the word "Filler" and stand by for some reading!

................Buckshot

auzzie101
09-05-2007, 09:58 AM
I haven't started reloading for my russian rifles yet but hopefully I will get some time to take them out and shoot up the factory rounds I have. I will have to do some reading on the subject of fillers before I start thinking I'm going to use any. Thanks for the info.

Auzzie

singleshotbuff
09-05-2007, 06:52 PM
FWIW I also bought some Hansen ammo for the 54R years ago. It was headstamped NNY, exactly the same as recent vintage Prvi Partizan ammo/brass. I guess it must be made in the same place as the old Hansen ammo. Seems to be decent ammo, cheap enough ($10.00/20rounds) and the brass seems to last a good long while for reloading.

SSB

auzzie, no fillers. I have a finnish reworked M27 that likes the lyman 314299 sized to .3135, 21 grs 4759, win lr primer and hansen cases. The hansen cases were bought years ago as loaded ammo, but when I bought the M27 and looked at the bore. I made the command decision that this rifle would see only cast boolits only.
Cases then were hard to come by for the rooski and at the time hansen was the only affordable case. Yes there was norma but it was and is expensive. A few years later, federal started the american eagle/norma ammo and got really lucky and bought a bunch. Hope this helps. Frank

Maven
09-05-2007, 08:04 PM
All, the Hansen 7.62 x 54R ammo was indeed made by Privi Partizan. I still have 60 rounds I need to pull apart for the brass and the powder. (The primers are used when the brass is reloaded.) The 180gr. FMJBT bullets are used in my SKS and are surprsingly accurate, but have to be loaded one at a time owing to their OAL. Whatever powder Hansen/Privi Partizan used in the late '80's - early '90's is reusable with heavy CB's, e.g., Ly. #314299. I've used 29gr. in the past and 30gr. just last week with complete satisfaction: Accurate, clean-burning, meters well through my Ly. #55 powder measure.

Frank46
09-06-2007, 02:15 AM
FWIW I also bought some Hansen ammo for the 54R years ago. It was headstamped NNY, exactly the same as recent vintage Prvi Partizan ammo/brass. I guess it must be made in the same place as the old Hansen ammo. Seems to be decent ammo, cheap enough ($10.00/20rounds) and the brass seems to last a good long while for reloading.

SSB

Hansen cartridge company did a good business with their ammo in the soviet calibers. But when things went to pot in yugoslavia it became unavailable. At one time I believe samson (IMI) took up the slack for some of the calibers. Last time I checked weideners website there is no present availability of IMI ammo nor components. They made great 30-06, 308, 308match, 223, 45 and possibly a few others. Frank