PDA

View Full Version : Rebarreling #3 Ruger from .22 Hornet to .357 mag

GBertolet
04-14-2013, 09:50 AM
I am in the process of rebareling my #3 Ruger. This is my first attempt at this type of work. What is the best method in a mill, to cut the extractor groove in the breech? Is it best to mount the barrel vertically or horozontaly to make the cut? I have a 5/8x1/8 keyway cutter and various small end mills, that should work for whichever barrel position is chosen.

augercreek
04-23-2013, 08:22 AM
Well I'm going to do the same thing,but on a 219 Savage.I'm stubbing a 7.62x39 barrel to a breech that fits the 219 frame.I'll have to cut a extractor groove in the new barrel too.I've got a ENCO mill drill that I'm going to use so we'll see how that goes.

Gunslinger1911
04-23-2013, 12:49 PM
Hey GBertolet,

No help with your question, but ..... I'm looking to rebarrel my #1 to 22 Hornet. Would you know if the barrels are the same? And are you looking to sell the #3 barrel ?

GBertolet
04-23-2013, 02:19 PM
I am waiting to see how the project goes before I let go of the barrel. In case this project bombs, I might find it necessiary to switch back. The receivers of the #1 and #3 are the same, so the barrel will fit on the receiver. You are second on the list requesting to buy the barrel. I will keep you in mind.

altheating
04-23-2013, 03:37 PM
If you want to sell any or your hornet brass, let me know.

bobthenailer
04-30-2013, 09:47 AM
those #3 Rugers in 22 hornet bring a nice $$ if there in good condtion , i would not do the barrel change and instead get a marlin la or ruger bolt in 357 mag , unless you just have to do it !

Nobade
04-30-2013, 08:28 PM
A small keyway cutter works well - tighten the barrel into the receiver, push the extractor up against it, and draw around it with a scribe. Unscrew barrel, hold it horizontally in the mill vise, and start cutting. Note how deep the factory cut is and go to that depth. You'll have to roll the barrel around some to get all the places, three grabs I believe, but it's easy since you're just making clearance and not trying to do close inletting. Deburr everything, put it together, figure out what you missed, take it apart and cut more, repeat as needed until it works. No worries. You can also do the job with a 90 deg. head and a small endmill but a keyseat cutter is easier.

-Nobade

gunguychuck
05-16-2013, 09:45 PM
I used just a file many times before I had milling capabilities.