PDA

View Full Version : Dumb question from a newbie

sigep749
04-14-2013, 08:04 AM
I've seen multiple comments about not usin aluminum pots for smelting. Question is why not?

waksupi
04-14-2013, 10:59 AM
They can and will melt, causing a dangerous situation.

country gent
04-14-2013, 11:28 AM
At the temps leads is useable Aluminum can soften and lose integrety. The melting temps are to close together.

sigep749
04-14-2013, 12:33 PM
Makes sense. That could make one heck of a nasty mess! Not to mention potentially painful.

country gent
04-14-2013, 01:50 PM
Harbor frieght, Tractor supply or most Box stores carry cast iron now. A 5 or 6 quart dutch oven makes a dandy lead pot or even a deep cast iron fring pan for chicken frying is good. Its solid and will last several lifetimes. Dont use a cooking utensil for lead with plans of it going back in the kitchen though.

mold maker
04-14-2013, 02:49 PM
Just don't bang your ladle on the sides of the pot. The foreigners have learned to make more pots from the same amount of iron. That means thinner walls, and can/will crack or break. We are using them at much higher temps, and lots more weight, than they were intended for.

zuke
04-14-2013, 07:08 PM
I never liked or trusted iron for a melt pot.I've machined it and all you get is powder. Way too porus for me.

wills
04-14-2013, 10:00 PM
This has been discussed more times than can be counted.

You are not permitted to use an aluminum pot.

People on this forum have been injured and have had fires started when aluminum pots failed.

mdi
04-21-2013, 11:10 AM
Major problem with aluminum for smelting is there is no, or very little color change from solid to OOPS!. Everything can look great one second and the next you'll have 20 pounds of lead all over your stove, bench, and if you're not fast enough, your shoes. BTDT...

BoolitBill
04-21-2013, 08:56 PM
After reading all these answers, it was not such a dumb question after all was it? Don't be afraid of asking questions, it is the easy way to learn. The hard way is experience, and a lot of guys on this board have plenty of that.

jmort
04-21-2013, 09:27 PM
The only P.C. policy here, should be the absolute right to ask any question related to casting regardless of how someone might think about it. Rather than a rude response that the question has been asked and answered, just ignore the thread and move on so that good-hearted members can provide some guidance.

blikseme300
04-29-2013, 10:58 AM
The only P.C. policy here, should be the absolute right to ask any question related to casting regardless of how someone might think about it. Rather than a rude response that the question has been asked and answered, just ignore the thread and move on so that good-hearted members can provide some guidance.

This forum has more decorum than any other I have come across on the Interwebs and rude and obnoxious folks don't stay around long as we typically just ignore them and they go away. Some members here might seem abrupt and opinionated but this is just who they are and it does not detract from their knowledge and experience. Hang out here for a while and you will get to know who the heavy hitters are and who you can trust with advice. All of us were newbies once and we don't mind sharing.