PDA

View Full Version : Reloading

domainfitz
04-13-2013, 10:00 PM
Hey I'm new to reloading and thinking of getting the Lee Challenger Breech Lock Single Stage Press Kit from midwayusa for a starter press. Is that any good? What brand of powder and supplies is good to get?

jmort
04-13-2013, 10:02 PM
Great starter press. What caliber are you shooting? Hard to recommend powder in a vacuum.

domainfitz
04-13-2013, 10:22 PM
I shoot .40 and 30-30 but also looking to reload .45 30-30 and .223

Bullet Caster
04-13-2013, 10:30 PM
When I started reloading 2 to 3 years ago, I also got the Lee Anniversary Breech Lock single stage press kit. It had everything in it except for the case length guages which are caliber specific. You'll need a case length guage for each caliber you are reloading. Since then I've upgraded to a Lyman scale and RCBS Uniflow powder measure (thanks to 45Nut). I couldn't get the Lee Perfect Powder measure to throw a consistent charge of bullseye for my pistol loads. The Lee PPMeasure is now dedicated to rifle powder only, since it does a great job with the spherical type powders.

The kit I purchased has the prime on the press instead of the hand priming unit. I prefer to prime on the press since I've developed a feel for the pressure required to seat primers in the cases. Additionally, I use bullseye 4 grains for 9mm, 5 grains for .45acp and 6 grains for .45 Long Colt. For my rifle (M1 and AK-47) I use IMR 4895. BC

domainfitz
04-13-2013, 10:37 PM
What sites do you use to get your supplies?

429421Cowboy
04-14-2013, 02:33 AM
Supplies are catch as catch can, and at this point what you want might not be what you can get, so you use what you can find. I have always had great luck with many different styles and sizes of CCI primers, never not had one go bang, and they happen to also be the cheapest around here. By the same token, Alliant powders of the respective burn rates and Speer bullets (for j bullets) have never let me down.

That is a good press setup to begin with, one thing i would reccomend is to also pick up some spare Breech Lock rings for each of the dies you plan to use to make life simple. Also, Lee makes good dies, but it will depend on what you can and cannot get. I use RCBS dies usually, but really have never run across a "bad" brand of dies, they tend to be a quality item.
You will need a set of calipers to measure your rounds and set dies, that should run you another $30 or so and will be money well spent. Another thing you will need is a good manual for reloading, this is essential to your safety and gives you a place to start troubleshooting. We could all spout off our favorite loads for your chosen calibers, but you really need a way to reference a proven source.

The big thing to remember about supplies is it is more about the correct application than the brand, they are all held to very close QC standards and as long as you use the right things for each task, you should have no major issues with one brand over the other.
Good luck!

429421Cowboy
04-14-2013, 02:35 AM
PS: Powder Valley is a good site to order from, if local is not an option for you.

domainfitz
04-14-2013, 07:04 AM
There's probably a few local places. Like the Arms room and some other gun shops. There are also gun shows every month here. I live by galveston. Thanks for the help

domainfitz
04-16-2013, 10:16 PM
Is the Lyman "Reloading Handbook: 49th Edition" Reloading Manual a good manual to get?

04-16-2013, 11:14 PM
If you won't be casting, it's excellent, though I lean toward the 45th edition.

If you will be casting, get the 3rd and 4th editions of Lyman's Cast Bullet Handbook, as well.

Once you start casting and reloading, you'll soon discover that you can never have too many manuals.

Whatever manuals(s) you get, read them though at least twice, as you want to make sure that you are familiar with and understand the entire process before you start.