PDA

View Full Version : Which new revolver for cast only???

Quigley284
04-13-2013, 09:48 PM
I am going to purchase and new revolver to be shot with cast. Older eyes wants to use a scope. I been looing at the Blackhawk Hunter in 44 mag. I have a set of Pachmayr grips left over from the last one I had. It comes with scope rings. Any reason not to make this choice?

454PB
04-13-2013, 09:49 PM
Nope. I have one in .45 colt and it's a nail driver.

nagantguy
04-13-2013, 09:51 PM
a fine fine choice sir. as a matter of fact if you buy it and don't like it ill buy it from you at one half purchase price at great personal sacrifice to my self just to help you out.

jmort
04-13-2013, 09:53 PM
What is the intended purpose? Hunting would be perfect choice. I believe you are referring to non-fluted cylinder Super Blackhawk. I like the look of that gun.

Trey45
04-13-2013, 09:57 PM
Have you considered a Contender?

Lefty SRH
04-13-2013, 10:00 PM
The Hunter is a good choice. I have the 44 and 45 Bisley Hunters and BOTH are tack drivers. The .41 is next on my list.

Quigley284
04-13-2013, 10:38 PM
Intended use is hunting and target. I have a Contender with too many barrels and wanted to try something different. Thanks again, Mike

44man
04-14-2013, 10:08 AM
The Hunter .44 is super accurate. Never needs fed anything but cast.
Put an Ultra Dot on it and go.

missionary5155
04-14-2013, 10:28 AM
Good morning
I cannot speak for the Hunter model nor caliber .44's anymore. Have caliber .41 and Bisley, Blackhawk but no Hunter.
But I will say I have an Ultra Dot on a caliber .454 casull BFR and I could not be happier. Have hunted for years with Leupold 2x on my revolvers. But the Ultra is 2x's faster to get on target and there is not that fractional second looking again to be sure the cross hair is right there on the spot.
44man stired me true on the Ultra !
MIke in Peru

daniel lawecki
04-14-2013, 10:52 AM
Go with the Ultra Dot my 44 wears a 4x scope very slow but accurate. As I mostly shoot for small groups.

Bullshop
04-14-2013, 11:01 AM
I didnt want to let the cat out of the bag too soon but the future may see a 5 shot S&W X frame chambered for the original design developed as prototype by Winchester for their 75 cal rimmed cartridge. Would that make the grade for the OP title?
I understand these will come factory packed with top and bottom wrist brace and hydrolic compression grips.

TCLouis
04-14-2013, 11:35 AM
Bisley Hunter?

I so wish I had one instead of the Plain Vanilla round trigger guard SBH.

I prefer the Bisley grip shape.

Multigunner
04-14-2013, 12:17 PM
I didnt want to let the cat out of the bag too soon but the future may see a 5 shot S&W X frame chambered for the original design developed as prototype by Winchester for their 75 cal rimmed cartridge. Would that make the grade for the OP title?
I understand these will come factory packed with top and bottom wrist brace and hydrolic compression grips.
And a broad two inch thick padded headband for when the barrel comes back and smacks you over the eye on recoil.

Trey45
04-14-2013, 12:23 PM
Please excuse my Contender answer, you clearly asked for a revolver which I just didn't see. I could blame it on the pain pills I'm taking for the oral surgery I had a few days ago. So I will. :D
SBH Bisley and Bisley Hunter.
http://images52.fotki.com/v637/photos/6/1809686/11340817/OldandnewBishawks-vi.jpg
The top is the Hunter model. It has shot nothing but my cast lead boolits since I've owned it. Now that I bought the Bisley SBH (bottom) I may install a scope on the Hunter.
Come on over shoot them both, I also have a 9.5" Ruger Super Redhawk in 44 Mag you can try.

Char-Gar
04-14-2013, 01:05 PM
Sounds like a good choice to me. From powder puff to full snort loads, it will "get er done".

rush1886
04-14-2013, 01:56 PM
Very good choice of a wheelgun. +1 for the Ultradot!!, especially for hunting. For my aging eyes, much easier target aquistion. If you're just punching paper, any decent ler scope will mate well. As for scopes, my personal preference of power is on the low side--4x is difficult for me to acquire proper picture. Just my eyes.

Go for it and Enjoy!

Angus
04-14-2013, 09:26 PM
I had a SRH in 480 I was quite fond of. I traded it off for my 5" 357 model 60 for something a little more sensible to pack while hiking and fishing. I shot it iron sights, but had a set of rings to take a dot or scope. It loved the Lee 400gr slug. I could print 4" groups at 50 yards on the first two cylinders. It degraded quickly after that, but I have the wrists and forearms of a preteen girl.

Quigley284
04-15-2013, 01:00 AM
Thanks for the tip on the Ultra Dot. I saw 1" as well as 30mm tube. Not sure if the 30mm replacement rings will fit or not but I can figure that out later. Let the shopping commence. Thanks again, Mike

44man
04-15-2013, 08:34 AM
Thanks for the tip on the Ultra Dot. I saw 1" as well as 30mm tube. Not sure if the 30mm replacement rings will fit or not but I can figure that out later. Let the shopping commence. Thanks again, Mike
Either one will work. Just stay with the straight 4 minute dot, some of the adjustable dots change POI. I like the 30mm for deer, easier to find the target and dot.
Go to Ultra Dot West, they have always paid shipping for mine.
Watch grips, I can't shoot a Bisley with my big hands. That trigger guard will beat me silly. They are worse to me then the square back guard on a SBH and a set of Pachmeyer grips will let me shoot anything.
I recommend finding some guns to shoot before deciding on a grip. I sold my Bisley hunter as fast as I could.
They are a love-hate affair.

Quigley284
04-15-2013, 01:50 PM
I found a new Blackhawk hunter on Gunbroker that looks real good. I am sure I will need help getting it going. I cast for my Kimber and I shoot BPCR. Never anything like this. Thanks again for all the help and input, Mike

Whiterabbit
04-15-2013, 05:55 PM
Either one will work. Just stay with the straight 4 minute dot, some of the adjustable dots change POI.

Yeah, like between shot 2 and 3, without touching the darn thing at all!

44man
04-16-2013, 09:48 AM
Yeah, like between shot 2 and 3, without touching the darn thing at all!
Yeah, I tested a few and every time I changed the dot size, POI changed a lot. It is the shadow mask over the diode and needs a millionth of an inch precision.
It is just a mechanical part that can move.
Those adjustable ones are for close range steel shooting.
Stay with simple.

Whiterabbit
04-16-2013, 10:59 AM
no, I didn't explain right. I mean, use the 4moa dot, shoot a group, then flip the dot size, then flip it back AND DONT TOUCH IT. shoot another group, this time the group is huge. No consistency. No repeatability.

And with their current lineup, you can only choose two fixed dot options, the original UD and UD30.

44man
04-18-2013, 04:39 PM
no, I didn't explain right. I mean, use the 4moa dot, shoot a group, then flip the dot size, then flip it back AND DONT TOUCH IT. shoot another group, this time the group is huge. No consistency. No repeatability.

And with their current lineup, you can only choose two fixed dot options, the original UD and UD30.
Yes, part of it because a part has to move in front of the diode. It would be like having loose cross hairs in a scope.
The diode is fixed and does not move but the little part might wiggle. What holds it firm and indexes it?

Whiterabbit
04-18-2013, 05:03 PM
a screw. If I recall correctly, a flat top phillips. Pretty small.

44man
04-20-2013, 09:59 AM
a screw. If I recall correctly, a flat top phillips. Pretty small.
We always find the same things. Many of those super expensive heads up displays have the same problems. You need to spend $500 or more to get even close. Some have one screw to hold to the base so a heavy revolver just breaks it.
I love the Ultra Dot but it will always be the simple and cheapest.
I have ruined Tasco, Millet, Bushnell, Burris and Swift on revolvers but the simple Ultra Dot 25mm or 30mm has never failed.
Even Ultra Dot has versions I will not use. They make mistakes too.
It comes down to use and the guns. Demand from buyers, steel shooting, etc.
Some do not want recoil like the CA guys. I never shot a revolver when the barrel did not rise. Powder powered air guns!
I shoot BIG and hunt, nothing must change or fail.

Charlie U.
04-21-2013, 03:52 PM
Those Blackhawk Hunters are about as nice a choice as you could make.
I really like running cast loads thru my Super Redhawk 480....great hunting revolver, but I have to admit the Blackhawk Hunter is classier when it comes to looks.

I agree with the others here who advocate Ultradots instead of a scope. Much easier on old eyes and more useful in low light situations.

Heres' my wheelgun with a bunch of cast boolits ready to go out to the range.

Moonie
04-25-2013, 02:27 PM
Please excuse my Contender answer, you clearly asked for a revolver which I just didn't see. I could blame it on the pain pills I'm taking for the oral surgery I had a few days ago. So I will. :D
http://images52.fotki.com/v637/photos/6/1809686/11340817/OldandnewBishawks-vi.jpg
The top is the Hunter model. It has shot nothing but my cast lead boolits since I've owned it. Now that I bought the Bisley SBH (bottom) I may install a scope on the Hunter.
Come on over shoot them both, I also have a 9.5" Ruger Super Redhawk in 44 Mag you can try.

If I had the time I'd take you up on that offer...

Viper225
04-26-2013, 09:10 AM
I have a couple Super RedHawk's in 480 Ruger I deer hunt with them. I have never fired a jacketed bullet in either. I can not think of a single reason to shoot anything in one besides cast.
The SBH Hunter in 44 is a good choice for a cast bullet gun also. It should keep your freezer full.

On the UltraDot. Get the UltraDot 30. I have an UltraDot 25 (1") still on one of my Super RedHawk's, and an UltraDot 30 on the other. WAY Better field of view through the 30. The only reason I have the 1" is that it came on the 7.5" when I bought it. I just have never gotten around to changing it out since it is on my spare hunting revolver.

Bob

44man
04-28-2013, 10:26 AM
OUCH, my hands do not like a Bisley. It is the gap between the grip and guard, My middle knuckle is fully 1-1/8" wide from shooting archery.
A contender is a pain machine to me.

kweidner
04-28-2013, 07:49 PM
Love my 44s. Have the 4 5/8 non fluted and a Custom 9 inch smith 629. I like my 4 5/8 for scouting and general shooting purposes.