PDA

View Full Version : Whats so great about RL7

charger 1
08-31-2007, 05:42 AM
It's got me curious. You see so many powders all around RL7 on the burn charts. A lot of them we use. But virtually everytime I hear of an accuracy story at respectable velocities it always seems to involve RL7. Whats the poop on this stuff? Does it peak its burn differently, more consistantly, what?

Bass Ackward
08-31-2007, 06:01 AM
No, not really.

A lot of what works, gets a reputation because of how it loads more than how it burns. Same with softer bullets particularly PB designs.

And the faster the powder, the more critical charge weight becomes which is why I like slower powders per certain cartridges so that .2 grain either way makes no real difference.

RL7 meters fairly well from powder throwers. Same with 2400. And when you compare charge weights to other stick powders in the same burn rate range, then you get more consistent powder charges.

I like 10X better for big bore stuff. More powder means less position sensitivity anyway. But this is a case capacity phenom and not one powder over another.

Firebird
08-31-2007, 12:36 PM
Just running consistently through a powder measure isn't the whole story. We always rate powders on their burn rate, but one of the more important things about powders is their pressure range - how well and how predictably does the powder burn at various pressures. Unique is known as the powder that can be loaded in anything because it has probably the widest pressure range of any powder. It doesn't matter if it's 8000 psi in a shotgun load or 40,000 psi in a 30-06 rifle cartridge or any pressure in between for all the pistol cartridges out there, you can find a load that Unique works in the cartridge. Contrast this against H110/W296 which has the famous prohibition against reducing from maximum pressure loads as it tends to "go out" under 30,000 psi; producing a squib load that lodges the bullet in the barrel.
RL-7 has a wide application as a fast rifle powder as it burns predictably and well at a variety of pressure levels from 30K to 65K psi; as well as metering consistently through a powder measure.

charger 1
08-31-2007, 01:42 PM
RL-7 has a wide application as a fast rifle powder as it burns predictably and well at a variety of pressure levels from 30K to 65K psi; as well as metering consistently through a powder measure.

Thats kinda what I was thinking. If a powder consistantly shows up on the cast radar it must be something like that

Buckshot
08-31-2007, 05:59 PM
............The reason RL7 is so good is that it's almost like, but a bit faster then 4198 and a little slower then 4227 :-). It also meters well.

...............Buckshot

dromia
09-01-2007, 02:31 AM
Buckshot, I'm pleased to see that you meter well.

Buckshot
09-03-2007, 10:56 AM
Buckshot, I'm pleased to see that you meter well.

...............HA! Fixed.

..............Buckshot