PDA

View Full Version : Mauser WOWser

JonB_in_Glencoe
04-13-2013, 04:44 PM
I've posted photos of these two custom Mausers before. Both were made by a friend of mine, Mausers are his hobby, he needed $$$ and I helped him out. both of these are 257 Robt and the the wavy maple stock was all shaped and finished by hand.

He mentioned to me at the last Hutchinson gunshow (sept 2012) we worked at, he always has a table next to mine, that he bought a old used stock duplicating machine. He told me is was kind of complicated and was hoping he will be able to figure it out.

I never gave it much thought since then ...til he called me today and wanted to borrow the wavy maple stock (shown below) to use as guide to cut a few. I asked if he was gettin into the biz...He said YEP, doing it full time...he has sold several on flea-bay. seller ID: "inthe*10ring"

while he mostly does Mausers, he does lots of other stocks also, and if you have one for a guide (cracked or whatever), he can duplicate it. I have no financial interest, he is a friend of mine and is trustworthy.

Belgian receiver, custom barrel chambered for 257 roberts

Loewe German 98 receiver, custom barrel chambered for 257 roberts

grubbylabs
04-13-2013, 06:56 PM
Hey those are kinda nice. he can reproduce about any thing huh.

merlin101
04-13-2013, 07:40 PM
WOW!!! I like that curly Maple alot!!

swheeler
04-13-2013, 07:46 PM
All very nice!

Mk42gunner
04-13-2013, 08:34 PM
Any idea what the straight grained stock is? IT kind of reminds me of ash or maybe hickory.

Robert

JonB_in_Glencoe
04-13-2013, 10:24 PM
Hey those are kinda nice. he can reproduce about any thing huh.
Yes, that's how I understand it.

Any idea what the straight grained stock is? IT kind of reminds me of ash or maybe hickory.
Robert
well, I kinda thought it was black walnut, but I sure could be wrong.

Multigunner
04-13-2013, 11:56 PM
Has this guy ever made reproductions of military type stocks?
If so a repro stock to restore a bubba'ed Swede or Argy carbine might come in handy.

Even reproducing the end of the fore arm to repair a duffle cut or sportered military stock while using whatever remained of the original stock would be nice.

JHeath
04-14-2013, 01:53 AM
The rifle in the lower photo does not appear to have barrel band. Possibly the upper rifle also does not. Are these free-floated carbines?

JonB_in_Glencoe
04-14-2013, 10:53 AM
Has this guy ever made reproductions of military type stocks? If so a repro stock to restore a bubba'ed Swede or Argy carbine might come in handy.
Even reproducing the end of the fore arm to repair a duffle cut or sportered military stock while using whatever remained of the original stock would be nice.
He told me he has made about 100 stocks with this machine in the last year since he got it. about 28 were auctioned on flea-bay. I can't say if he has duplicated a original military design yet, but I'm sure he could. I think his talents are geared toward custom. He can cut anything he has a guide for...or a guide you provide. a guide being a existing complete stock.
I'm not sure if he could or would do a partial stock/forend of a full stock.

The rifle in the lower photo does not appear to have barrel band. Possibly the upper rifle also does not. Are these free-floated carbines?
Both of my rifles are custom, with aftermarket barrels, both in 257 robt. The wavy maple has a Belgian receiver and the other has a German 98 receiver made in Loewe. yes free floated.

gnoahhh
04-14-2013, 11:22 AM
Very nice, indeed. If I could offer a wee bit of criticism though- I would slim down the forearms a bit more in the future. In fact, for a full length stock to really work, and increase its elegance, the stock line from the floor plate forward to the nose cap should have an ever-so-slight concavity. That said, I wouldn't kick either one of these out of bed for eating crackers!

nekshot
04-14-2013, 11:39 AM
Very nice! Years ago I saw some pictures of a machine in a gunsmiths shop I think by name of Davenport, His work was outstanding and I studied those pictures for months and finally built one and boy does it work nice! I am remodeling mine again but It is nice to have the inletting done as well as the shaping. Long live the duplicators!

nekshot
04-14-2013, 11:46 AM
gnoahh, I agree with you. The bottom gun is heading the right direction but both are nice. Mannlichers
drive me almost nuts. I found to take a long metal yardstick and from the front of mag to tip of barrel get a arc in there at least 1\8 to 1\4 inch really helps.

JonB_in_Glencoe
04-14-2013, 11:50 AM
Very nice, indeed. If I could offer a wee bit of criticism though- I would slim down the forearms a bit more in the future. In fact, for a full length stock to really work, and increase its elegance, the stock line from the floor plate forward to the nose cap should have an ever-so-slight concavity. That said, I wouldn't kick either one of these out of bed for eating crackers!

Thanks for the info, I agree, I'll be passing along the info.
Jon

Wayne Smith
04-14-2013, 01:25 PM
Can he cut one for a 93 Mauser? I don't know if he is set up to do the drilling correctly. He'd at least want a template, I would think. Easily made if he can do that. I have wood and need a stock for my Chileano, but would also like a pistol grip. Should I contact him directly?

JonB_in_Glencoe
04-14-2013, 01:38 PM
Wayne, PM sent.
Jon

JHeath
04-14-2013, 01:48 PM

Disagree! The flaw with ordinary full-stock carbines is they are not free-floated nor capable of being floated. Try to tune them with forearm tension but not dependably, and it still varies with climate and barrel heat/expansion. These FS carbines should be capable of near-benchrest accuracy. I would pay *extra* for a stock like this, thicker and not requiring a barrel band.

On the aesthetics, beauty is as beauty does, and these gems look accurate. These are hunting rifles, and my eye is happy with a touch more "robust" and a touch less "graceful."

Don't change them to look like everyone else's. The forearm heft and clean straight lines are what sells these.

izzyjoe
04-14-2013, 03:42 PM
Man, i love those mannlicher's, he spent some time making them. i would love to have him make an M40 stock for me, but for a 98 mauser. that's my next project!

waksupi
04-14-2013, 06:23 PM

I have to disagree with that.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?39020-Needed-a-Mannlicher

nekshot
04-14-2013, 06:42 PM
Waksupi, I have looked at those pics numerous times trying to learn something and they never get old. Super job on that gun. Most of my mannlichers as a whole seem heavy and bulky. Then I see a nice photo of one and it often says stock by Len Brownell (excuse misspelling). I am all ears to input of how to do this thing correctly.

fouronesix
04-14-2013, 07:45 PM
Well, here's a pic of the classic form of a Mannlicher-Schoenauer along with one of the full stock Mausers in the OP for comparison. Pick the form that suits your eye. Mine prefers the original Mannlicher style. However the stock design, specifically the drop at comb of the older Mannlicher pictured, certainly favors the use of low mounted iron sights.

Rusty Goose
04-17-2013, 09:09 PM
Wayne, please share what you find out about your '93. I have one that needs a stock as well.

x101airborne
04-20-2013, 10:01 AM
Yes, Wayne. Please.
I need one for a Pre-Yugo 1924

JonB_in_Glencoe
11-01-2013, 02:12 PM
Well, my Mauser artist friend just stopped by with the 358win custom he has been building for me on a Modelo 1909 Waffenfabrik Mauser Oberndorf action.

Now to get some loads worked up for it.

http://i640.photobucket.com/albums/uu127/JonB_in_Glencoe/fullviewrightside_zps8680ebdb.jpg (http://s640.photobucket.com/user/JonB_in_Glencoe/media/fullviewrightside_zps8680ebdb.jpg.html)

http://i640.photobucket.com/albums/uu127/JonB_in_Glencoe/fullviewleftside_zpsa5267b71.jpg (http://s640.photobucket.com/user/JonB_in_Glencoe/media/fullviewleftside_zpsa5267b71.jpg.html)

http://i640.photobucket.com/albums/uu127/JonB_in_Glencoe/boltclosed_zpsc80d2ecd.jpg (http://s640.photobucket.com/user/JonB_in_Glencoe/media/boltclosed_zpsc80d2ecd.jpg.html)

http://i640.photobucket.com/albums/uu127/JonB_in_Glencoe/boltopen_zps08e65b06.jpg (http://s640.photobucket.com/user/JonB_in_Glencoe/media/boltopen_zps08e65b06.jpg.html)

rattletrap1970
11-01-2013, 02:24 PM
I have a Venezuealan FN49 (there are only about 8012 of them "the 12 being cut-aways I believe for training"). Mine is is great condition except for the stock. Is this something he could duplicate? If so, how much would something like that run from average walnut, nothin fancy?

JonB_in_Glencoe
11-01-2013, 02:48 PM
I have a Venezuealan FN49 (there are only about 8012 of them "the 12 being cut-aways I believe for training"). Mine is is great condition except for the stock. Is this something he could duplicate? If so, how much would something like that run from average walnut, nothin fancy?

PM sent with contact info and a guess at pricing

JonB_in_Glencoe
11-01-2013, 02:52 PM
ALSO, My friend took with him a nicely sporterized 1917 eddystone that I've had for a while. He wants to make a stock cutting guide from it...also he said he could 'true' up the front site ramp and re-crown the muzzle for me...What a guy :)

Artful
11-01-2013, 08:49 PM
How about a L1A1/FAL inch Stock set in that Curly Maple or maybe some hard Quilted Maple?

JonB_in_Glencoe
11-02-2013, 10:48 AM
How about a L1A1/FAL inch Stock set in that Curly Maple or maybe some hard Quilted Maple?
PM sent

starmac
11-05-2013, 06:20 PM
Does he have a website, how do we get in touch with him??

roverboy
11-05-2013, 07:25 PM
Nice rifles and stocks. Your friend is good at what he does. About the sportered military stock on ebay. Is it a sportered K98?

JonB_in_Glencoe
11-05-2013, 09:08 PM
Does he have a website, how do we get in touch with him??
email

JonB_in_Glencoe
11-05-2013, 09:22 PM
Nice rifles and stocks. Your friend is good at what he does. About the sportered military stock on ebay. Is it a sportered K98?
The link in the OP must be time sensitive or something??? That isn't his stock...so I can't answer the Question.

I did a search and He doesn't have anything on fleabay right now...Last one sold on Oct. 20 the link below is a search for his most recent auctions. Again, his user fleabay ID is
inthe*10ring so if the link below doesn't work, just goto fleabay and used advanced search, by user ID for "closed" auctions.

starmac
11-07-2013, 05:57 PM
email

Yep, apparently it has been too long since I have used my email, a couple years or more, as I can't get on it. lol
I think my wife has an email account and will get her to try this. lol