PDA

View Full Version : It's MOULD ...... not .... MOLD

Ohio Rusty
08-30-2007, 11:41 PM
I was searching the net today for prices on a Lee mould for .380. Several prominent companies had it spelled on their site MOLD ...... When I see words used like that, it gives me the same feeling as fingernails across a chalkboard. MOLD is the blue-green hairy stuff that grows on your cheese and bread. A MOULD is what we pour the precious molten galena in to make boolets. On Ebay, I always had to search both spellings as most were listed as Molds. I have allergies to MOLDS. I kinda cringe when people butcher names .... some I've heard in the past were ... Iver-Johnston ..... Smith and Western .... Hawkins Rifle .... etc.
Ohio Rusty

BruceB
08-31-2007, 12:05 AM
Rusty;

You are tilting at a much-targeted windmill.

When those of us who actually CARE about the proper use of our language get a bit upset about the horrible mis-uses to be found everywhere, and actually SPEAK UP about the un-literary massacres, we are accused of being "spelling Nazis", or "Grammar Gestapo" (spelled "Grammer", of course), or equally-ugly titles.

One wonders what the unimaginative would do if the Nazis had never existed.....what sort of nasty names would we be called in that case?

I CARE about the language I speak and write. What I write is posted in plain view of anyone who happens across the places I post, and my words are my representatives to many folks who will only know me by my writing. I want the words to be CORRECT, and the structure in which I place those words should also be correct.

I do a tremendous amount of proof-reading before posting anything, because as a typist I make a good handloader and caster. I may not type very well, but by George I CAN proof-read, and I CAN recognize errors in spelling, punctuation, paragraph structure, and almost all the various things that work together to make a comprehensible and CORRECT composition. The incentive for performing the extra work is provided by the lamentable state of "English" as perpetrated and tortured by so many people on the Internet.

While I do sympathize, I'm afraid you won't get far in having everyone adopt "mould" as the 'correct' spelling...but at least *I* agree with you. Now, about "turrent", and "varmit", and "Hornaday", and "Dillion".......aaaaagghh!

joatmon
08-31-2007, 12:18 AM
Reminds me. I've gotta get done molden up some 45's so's I kin load up my clips.

Marlin Junky
08-31-2007, 12:20 AM
I was searching the net today for prices on a Lee mould for .380. Several prominent companies had it spelled on their site MOLD ...... When I see words used like that, it gives me the same feeling as fingernails across a chalkboard. MOLD is the blue-green hairy stuff that grows on your cheese and bread. A MOULD is what we pour the precious molten galena in to make boolets. On Ebay, I always had to search both spellings as most were listed as Molds. I have allergies to MOLDS. I kinda cringe when people butcher names .... some I've heard in the past were ... Iver-Johnston ..... Smith and Western .... Hawkins Rifle .... etc.
Ohio Rusty

The form that contains the "u" is left over from British English. "Mold" and "Mould" are interchangeable today. This is one of the reasons the Europeans look down on us... sometimes our language is not very precise:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&hs=bnx&defl=en&q=define:mould&sa=X&oi=glossary_definition&ct=title

NVcurmudgeon
08-31-2007, 12:28 AM
Rusty and Bruce, I am in complete agreement with you. I also am a slow, inaccurate typist and find careful proofreading is a very effective error preventive. And by the Great Horn Spoon, I don't mean "preventATive."

Single Shot
08-31-2007, 12:57 AM
Reminds me. I've gotta get done molden up some 45's so's I kin load up my clips.

The correct way is:
I be gotta git done molden zum 45's so I can load me clips :drinks:

Typecaster
08-31-2007, 12:58 AM
After 30+ years as a typographer, I find that prefrooding is extremely important. Unfortunately, my best editing is done on a hard copy ms, not a computer screen, and even then, i'm so old-school that I expect copy to come to me in 10/36 Courier, flush left, ragged right. If it doesn't meet my specs, I charge extra. American
Typewriter is OK, but it doesn't always come though as a monospace font. I don't want to work any harder than I have to, especially when I'm translating pidgin into English.

But this site is for fun and therapy...

Bent Ramrod
08-31-2007, 01:24 AM
A brave fight for a lost cause. Wait'll we see what happens to the language after 10 or so years of "texting." Meanwhile, I gotta get my molds hot so I can load some bullets for my gun. It's the principal of the thing.

okiecruffler
08-31-2007, 01:37 AM
Can't help but think this is a strange complaint from a buncha guys shooting "Boolits".:mrgreen:

9.3X62AL
08-31-2007, 02:00 AM
Kinda my thoughts too, Cruffler. It seems that spelling of a word wasn't real strict in the late 18th and early 19th Century. Read through anything that Washington, Jefferson, Madison, or their British contemporaries wrote, and spelling wasn't a huge priority. I do my best at it, and try to hew the correct line whenever possible--but mold/mould isn't one of my flash points. If MOULDS grew on bread, we wouldn't likely have to return so many Group Buy products to Lee Imprecision. And if MOULDS had anything to do with bread, the staff of life would be a casting project instead of baked goods. In any event, I won't likely mistake penicillium for projectile producers.

charger 1
08-31-2007, 04:49 AM
I cant say I dont care at all cause by times I have had to search to words for one item, but man do I wish I were you

mould

chiefly British variant of mold

So I guess as long as english comes from england we're stuck with english versions of wurds

Jim
08-31-2007, 05:18 AM
www.dictionary.com says "Mold - a hollow form or matrix for shaping a fluid or plastic substance".

www.leeprecision.com lists items for sale fitting the aforementioned description as "molds".

Powderpacker
08-31-2007, 05:37 AM
My "Oxford American Dictionary" has three listings for "mold" and no listing for "mould". I guess that's because it's an American dictionary - not a British dictionary.

Bret4207
08-31-2007, 05:52 AM
I can handle "mold, even though I always spell it "mould". I prefer "grey" to"gray" also. It's the darn bullet "tips" and "heads' and "PILLS" that get me.

BruceB
08-31-2007, 06:20 AM
Yes indeed, there are opinions on the "mould" matter.

Whenever I am in doubt on the subject, I just refer to any of those old orange Lyman boxes....... and there it is: "MOULD".

As a long-time victim of the British way of spelling, from fifty years in Canada, I've had to revamp a lot of words to get them domesticated for the USA.....neighbour, humour, and a number of others come to mind. At least I didn't have to change "tyre", as that spelling isn't used up North, and I HAVE excised the Canadian "eh?" from my vocabulary. I find that "huh?" works wherever I once used "eh?". Deputy Al and Curmudgeon thought I was kidding when I tried to inform them of just how pervasive "eh?" really is, in Canada. My Alberta brother soon convinced them, for danged sure.

I'll confess to a SERIOUS sin for this Board, and say that I am uncomfortable with "boolit".

It's 0320 PDT, and almost time to go to work.

charger 1
08-31-2007, 06:34 AM
Aint this fun Y'all

imashooter2
08-31-2007, 07:01 AM
I'll confess to a SERIOUS sin for this Board, and say that I am uncomfortable with "boolit".

I've always thought that term makes us look like idiots to outsiders.:neutral:

Wayne Smith
08-31-2007, 07:03 AM
My son's future mother-in-law is a graduate of the Royal Academy of Music, plays in a chamber group that does weddings. They were somewhat confused when one future bride asked for the "Taco Bell Canon" to be played. Any musicians want to guess what she really wanted?

The bastardization of the language goes well beyound (beyond) our little pond!

STP
08-31-2007, 07:28 AM
I was wondering when this would come up.

The term bullet "tips" is bad enough, but when I hear "heads" I have a hard time not launching into the instructor/teacher mode. (Grrrr!)

Andy_P
08-31-2007, 07:35 AM
I haven't been able to sleep since I read this thread, wondering if "anal-retentive" was hyphenated or not.

Char-Gar
08-31-2007, 07:59 AM
Boys, I would not get so spun up about such a trifle. There is a difference between spoken English and formal written English. When someone tried to converse in formal written English it comes accross as very pedantic and affected.

I can produce first class formal written English work for publication. But it does involve lots of proof reading and rewritting. I am not the least bit interested in do so for one of these Internet boards.

A spell check feature would be nice. I learned to read and write before before Phonics was taught. I learned the old fashoned way by "sight reading" which is just rote memory of learned spelling lists. Folks who learned this way are known to be poor spellers.

I realize that the proper use of language is important to some, but be charitable with the rest of us who are no so proper. Tis not a character flaw to regard these forums as a place to use informal spoken English.

Education is a tool to be used, not a badge to be worn.

Char-Gar
08-31-2007, 08:12 AM
Wayne..l... Pachabel's Cannon in D minor, is standard wedding fare around these parts. I once had a music Professor tell me the first word is pronounded "pa-KA-bul". It is most commonly pronounded "pa-ka-bells". I guess that morfed into Taco Bells.

fishhawk
08-31-2007, 08:53 AM
well it's also canada geese not canadian geese at least i don't think THEY need a passport yet :)

VTDW
08-31-2007, 09:04 AM
It's Boolit...not bullet!!:mrgreen:

44man
08-31-2007, 09:07 AM
I have always spelled it mould but got trashed here about it so I switched to mold. The boxes my molds came in use both forms of spelling.
My opinion is that I don't care how it is spelled because we all know boolits come out of them. :coffee:

Bret4207
08-31-2007, 09:13 AM
I've always thought that term makes us look like idiots to outsiders.:neutral:

We're NOT idiots?!?!? Great, NOW he tells me!:roll:

Scrounger
08-31-2007, 09:13 AM
Boys, I would not get so spun up about such a trifle. There is a difference between spoken English and formal written English. When someone tried to converse in formal written English it comes accross as very pedantic and affected.

I can produce first class formal written English work for publication. But it does involve lots of proof reading and rewritting. I am not the least bit interested in do so for one of these Internet boards.

A spell check feature would be nice. I learned to read and write before before Phonics was taught. I learned the old fashoned way by "sight reading" which is just rote memory of learned spelling lists. Folks who learned this way are known to be poor spellers.

I realize that the proper use of language is important to some, but be charitable with the rest of us who are no so proper. Tis not a character flaw to regard these forums as a place to use informal spoken English.

Free 'spellcheck' software can be downloaded for both Internet Explorer and Firefox browsers, from their websites.

trk
08-31-2007, 09:15 AM
After 30+ years as a typographer,
But this site is for fun and therapy...

And some of us remember setting type in a stick - reading it upside down and backwards!

(And know the real source of the expression of 'watch your p's and q's.)

BUT all this discussion on a site that spells it BOOLETS? :)

trk
08-31-2007, 09:19 AM

GOOD POINT!

However, it too often is a predjudice that is socially acceptable.

Old Ironsights
08-31-2007, 09:45 AM
I can handle "mold, even though I always spell it "mould". I prefer "grey" to"gray" also. It's the darn bullet "tips" and "heads' and "PILLS" that get me.

I am in full agreement.

MT Gianni
08-31-2007, 10:31 AM
In the early days of evil-bay I bought several molds no one else was bidding on. The reason was they were hidden under mould instead of mold. Growing up in Idaho and Utah spelling and grammer were encouraged but educators realized they were fighting a losing battle with the language heard on the street. I applaud those who do it well but accept those who don't. Gianni.

Marc2
08-31-2007, 11:00 AM
Its not Smith and Western? Next you'll tell me there's something wrong with Lee Turrent Press. Well, at least I know how to pronouce Ruger Bidley. I even have one in .475 Lineberg.

Marc

Edward429451
08-31-2007, 11:23 AM
BUT all this discussion on a site that spells it BOOLETS?

Hey you mis-spelled it, it's Boolits. Try'n get it write will ya?:-D

Ah it's just a regional dialect thing...in the region of the cast boolit board.

Would you guys feel better if it had its own definition? Cast bullets are what you buy (commercial), and cast boolits are what you cast in a mould yourself.:drinks:

Mould, mold, eh. I use mould.

montana_charlie
08-31-2007, 11:24 AM
You are the kind of person who will care about the difference between 'mould' and 'mold'; who believes that correct spelling is important; and one who understands that those things, coupled with grammar, punctuation, and structure are the requirements for producing clarity...if you enjoy listening to Tony Blair speak.
CM

45nut
08-31-2007, 11:28 AM
Hey you mis-spelled it, it's Boolits. Try'n get it write will ya?:-D

Ah it's just a regional dialect thing...in the region of the cast boolit board.

Would you guys feel better if it had its own definition? Cast bullets are what you buy (commercial), and cast boolits are what you cast in a mould yourself.:drinks:

Mould, mold, eh. I use mould.

As in my signature.....
A Boolit is not available from Nosler,Sierra or Barnes.

NVcurmudgeon
08-31-2007, 11:34 AM
I learned to load ammunition from the book, "Why Not Load Your Own" by Col. Townsend Whelen. I recently replaced this gap in my library, and found it to be as valuable today as it was nearly fifty years ago. The good Colonel, educated well before the 1960s degeneration of nearly everything, including the English language, spelled it "mould."

TAWILDCATT
08-31-2007, 11:38 AM
my new websters states:1)to model-to shape-form in which a thing is cast
2)to cover with soil
molder:one who molds
molding:any thing cast in a mold.
no mention of "mould"
-------:coffee: -----:Fire: ------:coffee:

Powderpacker
08-31-2007, 01:45 PM
Great quote ! Notice is hereby given that I'm stealin' it and I'm plannin' to use it .

Edward429451
08-31-2007, 01:54 PM
Like that one? Here's another.

"Wear your learning like a good pocketwatch. Do not take it out to count the hours, but to give the time if asked"
Lazarus Long / Robert Heinlein

montana_charlie
08-31-2007, 01:56 PM
As I see it, the casters on this forum fall into one of two major sub-groups...with some minor characteristics within each group that might be shared with the other.

One such minor charateristic could be that individuals in both groups might be very concerned with alloy hardness. Another might be a preference for aluminum or iron blocks.

The primary dividing line between the major groups is (as I see it) is 'how many keepers exist at the end of the casting session'.

Some need large quantities. Whether they are 'plinkers' or rapid-fire target shooters makes little difference. They want a lot of keepers, and they don't have time to waste when a casting session begins.

These 'fast casters' will have standards that must be met, but the standard might allow minor surface imperfections, liberal weight tolerance, or simply an ability to hold a reasonable group at fifty yards.

The other group includes those casters who cast each projectile as (almost) a separate project. The 'careful caster' culls any example that doesn't perfectly mirror the cavity, and his weight variation tolerance may cause him to eventually discard more than he keeps. He may allow some frosting, but probably tries to avoid it.
While his fifty-yard group may be no smaller than the 'fast caster' can manage, he (at least) believes his bullet is capable of better.

Oops! Did I use the word 'bullet'? Well, actually, yes I did.

As I see it, the fast caster uses a 'mold' to make a 'coffee-can-full' of 'boolits'.
And the careful caster uses a 'mould' to make enough 'bullets' to fill a styrofoam block.

Each finds his own version of satisfaction, and (in the end) the alloy goes 'splat' someplace.
CM

dakotashooter2
08-31-2007, 02:37 PM
I always thought mold was for us Yankees and mould was for the southern boys with their drawl and the Brits and Canadians.

Quite frankly I use mold cause it's one less letter for us two finger typists.:-D

:castmine:

joatmon
08-31-2007, 03:16 PM
Mom said "Long as ya hold yer pinkie out when you take a coffee break whilst casten and is sippen hit don't matter!"

Ricochet
08-31-2007, 03:40 PM
Lately I've been more concerned about whether it's a peen or a pein on the back of a hammer.

My early '40s second edition unabridged Webster's New International Dictionary doesn't recognize "pein" at all and says it's a "peen." Later editions do recognize "pein" as an alternate spelling though, that's what I grew up with as the proper spelling for "ball pein," and looking at a whole bunch of hardware and blacksmithing supply sites, as many use one spelling as the other.

madcaster
08-31-2007, 03:49 PM
Brother Ricochet,
I imagine that you would have a brainfreeze sometimes on the job with (window) pane and (OUCH,that HURTS!!!) pain......HeHeHe....

Ricochet
08-31-2007, 03:49 PM
Anyway, if you get whacked with that ball, it'll give you a pain! :mrgreen:

Powderpacker
08-31-2007, 04:06 PM
You ain't suppossed to be using a ball pein/peen hammer on a mold anyway !

Ricochet
08-31-2007, 04:19 PM
I've gotten frustrated enough a time or two to think about taking a ball pein to a mould.

I remember hearing friends in younger days talking about taking some stuff called windowpane. That would lead to long discussions about far more trivial matters...

AZ-Stew
08-31-2007, 04:42 PM
The ones that get me are:

When someone tells me that his friends have found a new source of wheel weights and that "there going over there to get there 5 free buckets full".

And, "I'm not sure were were going, but were sure to get there, eventually".

Or, "When I started shooting here I didn't use ear protection and now I can't here very well".

And the infrequent, but just as irritating, "My instructor told me that the one thing I cant do while shooting is tilt my rifle".

And finally, the dreaded "prolly". "With his caviar he'll prolly want a cracker". Every time I see that one, I think of a parrot.

Regards,

Stew
The Punctuation and Homonym Nazi

Old Ironsights
08-31-2007, 05:08 PM
That's funny. Aside from genuine typos, "prolly" is the 'net contraction I'm most likely to use - mainly because "probably" is annoying to type.

Jim
08-31-2007, 05:15 PM
Lord, have mercy. This is goin' nowhere.

montana_charlie
08-31-2007, 06:01 PM
The ones that get me are:

If we are going to let our collective hair down, the two pet peeves that dig into me the worst are:

the guy who has a lot to say and might even know what hes talking about but he never uses capitalization or punctuation the result is i never knowing where i am when reading what he has written i never say anything about it i just try to understand and reply intelligently if i have anything to say back but im afraid if i did say something he might start

Using A Capital Letter To Begin Each Word That He Types Now I Become Truly Confused Since The Missing Punctuation Still Hides The Beginning And Ending Of Each Sentence And Capitalizing Each Word Becomes A Further Distraction From Whatever It Is He Is Trying To Get Across Like I Said When I Started This The Guy May Have Something To Say That Is Worth Knowing I Just Hope That He Types Slowly Because I Sure Have To Read It Slowly

But, @ least the guy is using actual words 2 get his idea across to ppl.

CM

Old Ironsights
08-31-2007, 06:19 PM
but but what about e e cummings

NVWalt
08-31-2007, 06:24 PM
Me no se habla english gringos...Walt

Phil
08-31-2007, 06:33 PM
My son's future mother-in-law is a graduate of the Royal Academy of Music, plays in a chamber group that does weddings. They were somewhat confused when one future bride asked for the "Taco Bell Canon" to be played. Any musicians want to guess what she really wanted?

The bastardization of the language goes well beyound (beyond) our little pond!

That would be CANON by PACHELBEL. A most beautiful piece of music, which I have just inserted in my CD player. Thank you for reminding me of it.

Cheers,

Phil

Old Ironsights
08-31-2007, 06:36 PM
Could be worse. My Wedding prelude was Toccata & Fugue in D Minor...

floodgate
08-31-2007, 06:38 PM
How about MUOLD - to make our BOOLITS with?

floodgate

felix
08-31-2007, 08:09 PM
T&F after the wedding, maybe, during the march out of the church which would indicate all succeeding internal wars have been declared legal. Besides, you'd have to have an instrument and operator which and who can play that tune to the hilt for proper emphasis. ... felix

drinks
08-31-2007, 08:48 PM
I, personally, wish everyone used spell check programs, there are several free ones .
A problem spell check will not help with is using the wrong word, even though the word used is spelled correctly, here, hear, there, their and they're and such are examples.
Mold is current American, mould is obsolete American and Colonial/ England.
The thing that annoys me most is spoken, not written, it is the English and Mass'ers adding r's to the ends of words that have no r's in them.
Quber, rather than the correct Kuba, or Quba, if you do not understand Spanish pronunciation.
Windur also come to mind.

44man
08-31-2007, 08:59 PM
But, but, but, you don't understand spell check at all. I keep telling it to learn misspelled words so I can keep up with you all! [smilie=w: [smilie=w: [smilie=w:

joatmon
08-31-2007, 09:19 PM
I'll edit the drivel I typed to simply say' If I say it and you know what I ment then I got the meaning across"

Bent Ramrod
08-31-2007, 10:01 PM
I used to be pretty insistent about English being a living language, grammar, spelling and meanings changing, dictionary definitions being the works of clockstopping imperialists, etc.

That changed somewhat when I read some of the works of George Orwell. Language and word spelling can be used to enhance idea generation, and just as easily to halt it. It can be used as a substitute for, and a refuge from, thinking, if it isn't carefully watched.

English is still going to change, of course, whether we like it or not. I don't think honest efforts to redefine something, i.e., "boolit" as a special version of the more generic "bullet," are part of the problem, but when somebody uses a word to mean a completely different word simply because they don't care what it is in the first place (principle for principal, and vice versa) or persists in spelling on the "Boyz in tha Hood" pattern, because they know it's annoying to try to read such stuff, I begin to wonder about the state of their minds.

I use "mold" as a verb sometimes, as "to mold the minds of the young," etc., but as a noun, to me at least, it just means that stuff on peanut butter, cheese and bread.

Ricochet
08-31-2007, 10:12 PM
As for wedding songs, I've long thought Robert Johnson's blues classic Come On In My Kitchen ought to be given strong consideration...

Bent Ramrod
08-31-2007, 10:18 PM
Ricochet,

As this is a Cast Boolit forum, Mr. Johnson's .32-20 Blues is really closer to the topic:mrgreen: .

By the way, do you own that National Triple Resonator Guitar? My screams of envy on the thread with your picture evidently drowned out the server, because it wouldn't post them.

Ricochet
08-31-2007, 10:27 PM
Mine's a cheap copy of a National. Brand name's Johnson. So, I spend a lot of time sitting around playing with my Johnson. When I get tired of that I just sling it over my shoulder and go on.
:mrgreen:

sundog
09-01-2007, 12:10 AM
Drinks, 'mold', might be modren America, but that is NOT how I learned to spell it. The rest of the world can change for this, but I, for one, will not. It's a 'mould', just like my Mama used to make Jello.

If the kids want to take up these new fangled ways, fine.

MT Gianni
09-01-2007, 12:57 AM
Spell check only works if you recognize the correct spelling. Gianni

Bad Water Bill
09-01-2007, 02:58 AM
Maybe we are showing our age in the way we spell our words. I think it may have started when Sears figured how much money they could save by changing catalogue to catalog. Its just 2 letters but times how many catalogs printed per year was a lot of ink and galena they saved. Now I am told by school children there is no such word as aint. Where did it get lost? Even my spell checker will not accept aint. Maybe I am getting old. O well I am proud of that fact. :castmine: BWB:Fire:

montana_charlie
09-01-2007, 12:06 PM
The thing that annoys me most is spoken, not written, it is the English and Mass'ers adding r's to the ends of words that have no r's in them.
Quber, rather than the correct Kuba, or Quba, if you do not understand Spanish pronunciation.
Windur also come to mind.
There I must disagree.
While a person saying "ax" when "ask" is the word really grates on my ears...accent and dialect are intrinsic and traditional elements of the region a person hails from.

A Virginian (for example) will never be mistaken for a West Virginian. The 'southern English' spoken in Alabama sounds differently when the same words are said by someone from Georgia. Even the 'Texas accent' has several iterations.

Within 'the English accent' there are variations strong enough for an American to detect. But, to the Brit, the subtle differences are plain enough to 'place' any speaker.

No, let's keep our accents as they are part of our identities.
There are already too many who prefer to have all of us stirred into a homogenous melting pot in which we are all exactly the same...
CM

Phil
09-01-2007, 12:43 PM
Could be worse. My Wedding prelude was Toccata & Fugue in D Minor...

Sounds like one of my previous marriages.

Cheers,

Phil

Ohio Rusty
09-01-2007, 01:10 PM
Part of this abbreviation and changing of words came from the Data storage concept of the 60's and 70's. At that time .... data was expensive to store, especially if you were contracting with a company to store your data. Every letter you stored cost money. Consequently, the less letters or spaces you stored by shortening things, the more money you saved. I also attribute some of the way words are spelled today to just to sheer laziness. Now ...there are cute ways to spell things to catch your attention or for advertising ... Kozy Kones (Ice Cream), and I'm not always the best typist and I overlook misspells as I do it myself, even after I've proofread the material and thought it to be mistake free. But it makes it hard to read when words get replaced with the wrong one ... like They're, their and there, ....... were and we're, ..... hear and here, etc. People think they are interchangeable because they sound the same, and they're not !! Basic usage english shouldn't be difficult in using the right word in a sentence. (Pet Peeve) Another Listmember made me shudder when he talked about text message language taking over. In 10 years I won't be able to read anything !! I had a hard time catching on to pig latin ....... And I agree with Montana Charlie when people 'want to 'ax' you sumpthin' ..... I've corrected people in public using 'ax'. I guess I'm lucky so far I haven't gotten a punch to the face yet ..... This has been a fun thread so far .....
Ohio Rusty

Char-Gar
09-01-2007, 01:21 PM
A few left over thoughts generated by the various responses on this thread.

Of the 400 wedding at which I have "officiated" my favorite was a full blown Mexican wedding with music by a Marachi band. What a hoot.

It is "peen" as in "Boy, I am going to hit you so hard, you are going to hum like a finishing nail hit with a greasy ball peen hammer."

Then there is the eternal issue of whether "carbine" is pronounced "car-bean" or "car-bin". Marsh "Carbine" Williams settled it when he said... "Whoever heard of a fellow cutting his crops with a com-bean"

Ricochet
09-01-2007, 01:50 PM
So "Carbine" Williams mispronounced his own nickname. Whodathunkit?

NVcurmudgeon
09-01-2007, 04:20 PM
My dictionary accepts both pronunciations of "carbine". I use Mr. Williams' choice because the other sounds like something invented by one of the lesser gunrags in the sixties.

Ricochet
09-01-2007, 04:29 PM
That other one sounds like something invented by that Cool Hand Luke guard with the sunglasses who had a hard time communicating.

montana_charlie
09-01-2007, 04:44 PM
If 'car-bean' was good enough for The Duke, it's good enough for me. Besides 'car-bin' sounds more like that black paper you make copies with...on the typewriter.
(Boy, some of those machines were heavy! I may not know the origin of 'copy', but I think I know where 'drag and drop' came from.)
CM

hydraulic
09-02-2007, 10:41 PM
Would that we should see, someday, a quiet end to the life of the ubiquitous cutism; Winnie, Remmy, Springy, gaggy, pukey.

Sundogg1911
09-02-2007, 11:47 PM
If i'm listing one for sale it's "mould / mold" I see it spelled both ways one the big named manufacturers sites. I usually spell it M-O-U-L-D, but, look at Magmas site: http://www.magmaengineering.com/bulletmolds.php [smilie=1: I say "who cares how you spell it....I'll figure out what'cha mean" :)

nelsonted1
09-03-2007, 12:01 AM
From Charger: "Education is a tool to be used, not a badge to be worn."

My version would be: Education is tool to be used, not a club to be swung.

A friend of ours sold his farm to an airline pilot. He was going to get rich on his free time farming. He told everyone he didn't need help cause he had a book. One day our old bud Benny looked out the window and wondered why the two neighbors were standing next to their tractor and car hood they were using to haul rocks. He watched them quite awhile before he walked out to find the wife in tears and the husband (getting rich) frustrated cause they couldn't figure out how to roll a huge rock onto the car hood. Benny showed them the principle of levering a big rock with crowbar using a small rock as a pivot point. Took 'em awhile till they figured out their "education" was going to be painfull so they bailed.

TED

nelsonted1
09-03-2007, 12:32 AM
Use of the word "methinks" twists my tail. I get the feeling the methinkers are telegraphing their geniousity and worldliness to other methinkers. Either that or no one has gotten around to telling them how stupid they are.

TED

leftiye
09-03-2007, 12:38 AM
Isn't it amazing how all of these important, central, deep, challenging, informative, useful and enlightening (not) threads get so much participation?

nelsonted1
09-03-2007, 12:48 AM
I also am appalled at the use of abbreviations, ie IMHO. In my humble opinion or in my honest opinion. There is an endless supply of them. Using them is another form of that poor ex Senator tapping his toes on the restroom floor looking for a new friend. Being part of the club.

We here use abbreviations too much. COW comes to mind. If one is new to this forum confusion has to erupt. Cartridge overall width? COW?

TED

waksupi
09-03-2007, 01:05 AM
A member brought up the alternate speling, "moulde".

How do ya like that one?!!!!!!

Char-Gar
09-03-2007, 08:15 AM
'Methinks is archaic English, used often by Bill Shakespear. Tis not cute nor modern, but retro!

sundog
09-03-2007, 09:30 AM
COW = Completely Out Witted

SharpsShooter
09-03-2007, 09:45 AM
COW = Carpetman On Warpath

Whitespider
09-03-2007, 09:48 AM
I also am appalled at the use of abbreviations, ie IMHO. In my humble opinion or in my honest opinion.

We here use abbreviations too much. COW comes to mind.
TED

Well now I know what “IMHO” may stand for. But how am I to know if it was meant as “humble” or “honest”? :roll: It's RIDICULES!

I still have no clue what “COW” means, or “IMAO”, or “IMO”, or “LAL”, or “LMAO” or “LOL”, or “BTW”, or “FWIW”, or “OMG”, or “WTG”, or... :veryconfu ... And I ain’t gonna’ take the time ta’ learn what they mean, ‘cause I don’t care.

I’ve known the meanings of “CYA”, “FYI” and “*****” for years.

Old Ironsights
09-05-2007, 10:52 PM
...I still have no clue what “COW” means, or “IMAO”, or “IMO”, or “LAL”, or “LMAO” or “LOL”, or “BTW”, or “FWIW”, or “OMG”, or “WTG”, or... :veryconfu ... And I ain’t gonna’ take the time ta’ learn what they mean, ‘cause I don’t care....

WCTYBTWHTKY [smilie=1:

THE CANONICAL ABBREVIATION/ACRONYM LIST

http://www.astro.umd.edu/~marshall/abbrev.html

3006guns
09-06-2007, 09:57 PM
I've been reading this thread with GREAT delight. I was educated at a time when you were expected to know the difference and proper usage of:

a lot: two words... always has been, always will be (exception: to alot something)

to
too
two: used in what context?

weather
whether: which one has to do with rain?

I read a lot of sites (yes, that's correct) where it's painfully obvious that either our educational system is failing or no one paid attention past the fourth grade...and the internet is multiplying the problem on a grand scale. On THIS site I see intelligence, education and humor...the mark of gentlemen whose roots go back to a more "correct" era. O.K...false praise time over....have to get back to the pot (lead that is).[smilie=1:

Old Ironsights
09-06-2007, 10:03 PM
Now if we could only get folks to spell ZINC correctly.... :mrgreen:

Ricochet
09-06-2007, 10:06 PM
I've finally reached a point where, with long experience, I'm actually typing words rather than just typing out letters laboriously. As that's started to happen, sometimes I unconsciously type homophones. I know the difference perfectly well, but my conscious mind assigns some executive part of my brain a word to type, and when it "hears" that word, it selects and types the wrong spelling. Looks ignorant in print, but it really reflects a marvelous complexity of the nervous system that we can't begin to fathom.

3006guns
09-06-2007, 10:20 PM
You mean it's not Zincckk???

I think you're referring to phonetic spelling and it's a gift...at least that's what I tried to explain to my teachers years ago. Didn't work then, but it might now....

Old Ironsights
09-06-2007, 10:24 PM
You mean it's not Zincckk???

I think you're referring to phonetic spelling and it's a gift...at least that's what I tried to explain to my teachers years ago. Didn't work then, but it might now....
Could be worse.

I've known people who lead lead leads with lead alloy which leads to inferiorly leaded lead leads... :twisted:

hpdrifter
09-06-2007, 10:57 PM
I have a rendezvous with a cold mold sold me by untold bold sources. I would heat my mould if I could. I really should. Shoulda, coulda, woulda; but still a cold mould. The pot is hot and the sprew(sprue?) plate leads the lead into the cold mold. Ain't got time for this.

Ain't, don't say ain't; ain'ts not quaint.
Say isn't, isn't that quisn't.

leftiye
09-06-2007, 11:04 PM
This is like the Aspreley armless thread right? All done in fun- ie a joke, right?

Old Ironsights
09-06-2007, 11:08 PM
Depends on your OEHQ... "Over-Educated Humor Quotient..." ;)

AZ-Stew
09-06-2007, 11:39 PM
Ah, yes. The notorious "spew" plate on the mould. I've seen it discussed many times. It's apparently the part designed to accept vomit. In my opinion, though, there is NEVER a good time to return the spew to the casting pot. First, there's the smell, and second, it's sure to attract the tinsel fairy. (Sprue plate)

Then there are the sites on the firearm. These are the parts, such as the sides and bottom of the receiver of a double gun, where the engraving and gold inlays may be best displayed. On the other hand, there are the sights, which are used to align the firearm with the target.

Finally there's the equipment designed for military or police use, often called "tacticle". I guess that word could be used in the following sentence, "I slipped and fell while straddling the rail fence, thereby damaging my tacticles." (Tactical)

Regards,

Stew

45nut
09-07-2007, 12:54 AM
Could be worse.

I've known people who lead lead leads with lead alloy which leads to inferiorly leaded lead leads... :twisted:

:coffeecom: leading us astray ? I am thinking there are some that want to break with tradition and brake away from the insanity already. :drinks:

buck1
09-07-2007, 10:18 AM
:redneck: Nuff said. [smilie=1:

okiecruffler
09-07-2007, 06:26 PM
One must remember that abit of knowledge is a dangerous thing and one should not be so quick to show off how smart they are. I was in a gun shop once discussing with another fellow my luck at finding several dozen clips for my Mosins at a good price. The employee, who had up until now been ignoring our efforts to catch his attention, was good enough to chastise me for using the term clip instead of magazine. Even saw fit to tell me that if I call it a clip around a group of "experts" they would be offended and I would appear to be unlearned. Wonder if he ever figured out why we were laughing so hard?

Rick N Bama
09-07-2007, 08:19 PM
I have a nephew that goes bananas over seeing a business with misspelled words on their outdoor signs. He’s been known to stop at the business & point the mistake out to them.

Rick

Phil
09-07-2007, 11:22 PM
English can be a fascinating and inspiring language:

"Rather proclaim it Westmoreland, through my host, that he which hath no stomach for this fight, let him depart; his passport shall be made and crowns for convoy put into his purse: we would not die in that man's company that fears his fellowship to die with us. This day is call'd the feast of Crispian: he that outlives this day, and comes safe home, will stand tip-toe when this day is named, and rouse him at the name of Crispian. He that shall live this day, and see old age, will yearly on the vigil feast his neighbours and say 'to-morrow is Saint Crispian:' then he will strip his sleeve and show his scars, and say 'these wounds I had on Crispin's day.'
Old men forget; yet all shall be forgot, but he'll remember with advantages what feats he did that day: then shall our names, familiar in his mouth as household words, Harry the king, Bedford and Exeter, Warwick and Talbot, Salisbury and Gloucester, be in their flowing cups freshly remember'd. This story shall the good man teach his son; And Crispin Crispian shall ne'er go by, from this day to the ending of the world, but we in it shall be remembered; we few, we happy few, we band of brothers; for he to-day that sheds his blood with me shall be my brother; be he ne'er so vile, this day shall gentle his condition: and gentlemen in England now a-bed shall think themselves accursed they were not here, and hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks that fought with us upon Saint Crispin's day."

Whenever I read that passage from Henry V, I seem to come alive. Beats the heck out of reading some of the crap written today. then again, maybe I'm just an old fuddy-duddy.

Cheers,

Phil

3006guns
09-07-2007, 11:36 PM
As far as pointing out signage errors.....I've been know to do that. Not to appear over educated or smart a**ed, just to let them know that they are judged by how they appear to the public. Why should I trust or buy from someone who can't even describe their product accurately?
But enough of this....I have at least two...no, three...projects that I need to work on involving oddball conversions of nice old guns (saving junkers from the rust pile) that need to get completed!:mrgreen:

1Shirt
09-08-2007, 12:06 AM
Well, have enjoyed this thread from beginning to past 100 postings. At this point, have one suggestion:
Someone should send this entire thread to Jeff Foxworthy. I would bet that he could really do something with it that would be a hoot!
1Shirt!:coffee:

Ricochet
09-08-2007, 02:10 PM
I just thought of one to put on the sign out front, if I had one:

I LIKE MY MISTEAKS RARE

Nardoo
09-10-2007, 09:04 AM
OK, I will go back to spelling it MOULD. I was trying to economise but suppose I can spare the time to hit the 'u' key.

Nardoo

Unter
09-10-2007, 12:10 PM
Now this is a post that I want to be apart of. Moled..... MMMmmmmmm.

John O.

leftiye
09-10-2007, 12:53 PM
Yeah! MOLED it is from now on!!!!

Old Ironsights
09-10-2007, 02:10 PM
Moled worked Marilyn...

http://www.markbellinghaus.com/beautymark.jpg

KCSO
09-10-2007, 02:17 PM
I believe it was Davy Crockett who said, "any man cain't spell a word 2 or 3 different ways aint got much imaginashun". Some languages have not changed in over 1500 years, but English (American or otherwise) is and has been in a state of constant flux. When Aprill showeres peircest to the roote... If you want a real hoot sometime look at all the words Shakspear invented, that are now common parlance, DUDE ! A good communicator will write or speak to his intended audience and since I can understand most everything here I don't give it a whole lot of thought. I am currently reading the Crockett Almanac's from 1835 and I bet those would drive Rusty through the wall.

charger 1
09-10-2007, 06:32 PM
Oh boy oh boy is I ever goin to get burnt now. Oh well that never stopped me...

If I walked in on an ol biddy tea where they were discussing an issue of oh so major importance, I would suspect they might be looking at from an oppositte angle in as much as they'd be wondering why them danged huntin folk men stole the spelling of the blue stuff on their bread. But boys that and that alone is the only difference between their talk and this one. Now before my nights sleep is shot to hell cause I'm afeared that all testosterone is going down the drain I beg of you's GET A GRIP...Seriously...Take it from someone who knows. If you've found that at any age over 18 you've had to be careful when ya sit so as not to sit on yer nuts you'll find topics like this very very sad. If you dont see the sadness here, well I guess you can sit any way ya want

THE END
:groner:

buck1
09-10-2007, 07:41 PM
I dont think the "U" is used after Labor-day?

hollow-point
09-17-2007, 05:08 AM
down here in australia both vaersions are used. and we are alot more overshadowed by the english influence.

Netherwolf
09-22-2007, 06:12 AM
So "Carbine" Williams mispronounced his own nickname. Whodathunkit?

My dictionary shows both pronunciations as correct for "1. a light, gas-operated semiautomatic rifle" & "2. a short rifle used in the cavelry." Car-bine (long "I") or car-bean (long "E") makes no difference.

On the other hand, the two pronunciations given for "combine" are both pronounced with a long "I" in the second syllable.

It also shows "mold" & "mould" pronounced the same & both spellings being correct for a specific type of tool or the stuff that grows on your bread

My pet peeve is the misuse, spoken & written, of the words fort, forte (single syllable words) & forte (a two syllable word). The individual definitions of the words dictates how they should be pronounced.

BTW, my dictionary is one of those huge mothers people use to sit little kids on when they were too big for a high chair but still too small to see over the edge of the dinner table.

And, while we're discussing "revisionist" lauguage, I want someone to tell me who came up with the bright idea of leaving the cent (as in 2-cents worth) symbol off of computer keyboards.

Ricochet
09-22-2007, 11:58 AM
My pet peeve is the misuse, spoken & written, of the words fort, forte (single syllable words) & forte (a two syllable word). The individual definitions of the words dictates how they should be pronounced.
Yes, and I only recently discovered that the words "forte" and "foible" both derive from fencing, referring to the strong stiff part of the foil near the hilt and the flimsy, springy part near the tip respectively.

And, while we're discussing "revisionist" lauguage, I want someone to tell me who came up with the bright idea of leaving the cent (as in 2-cents worth) symbol off of computer keyboards.
Like this? "¢" On a Mac keyboard it's option-4. Shift-4 gives "$," so it makes sense. (As well as cents.)
:mrgreen:

hpdrifter
09-22-2007, 10:54 PM
my 2¢ worth.