PDA

View Full Version : Hold me back ya'll....

madcaster
08-30-2007, 11:39 PM
Been eyen a HiWall or Sharps Uberti,and about to take the plunge.
How will air cooled wheelweights do for shooting silhouettes and hunting?I do not plan on being good enough to win any matches,just trying a different method of madness:wink:
Thanks for any educated opinions...
Jeff.

Single Shot
08-31-2007, 01:15 AM
I used to sell a lot of bullets to a guy that bought first off E-Bay then started buying 4000 ever few months for silhouettes.

These were water cooled sized .452-255g RN lubed with my formula of Super Molly.

When my right hand was shattered in a car crash, he sent me an E-mail wishing me well and to heal soon because he would wanted more of the "ACCURATE" bullets.

He had called prior to his first order because to quote him," He was disappointed with most bullets bought off E-bay."

So I was impressed with his comment.

I would skip the heat treat for hunting to get better expansion.

I quit casting for sale because my thumb joint never healed and actually broke the titanium plate while still in the cast because of severe spasms and two operations.

I can still cast for myself but not a 4000 every few months.

montana_charlie
08-31-2007, 02:10 AM
How will air cooled wheelweights do for shooting silhouettes and hunting?
Depends on what your gun likes. Sure wouldn't go any harder...
CM

SharpsShooter
08-31-2007, 09:38 AM
Jeff

Some of my best groups have been shot with wheelweight alloy boolits. I do anneal them to soften them a bit and I am not convcinced folks could tell the difference on the firing line.

My 75 C.Sharps turned this one in some time ago, but it does lend credibility to the WW for BP topic.

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r255/SharpsShooter_photos/10shot4570GroupNASA.jpg

As far as hunting goes, I killed a big doe two years ago with a Lyman 457125 (530gr) with 65 gr of Goex Cartridge at 125yds using the same rifle. The shot struck just behind the shoulder, took out both lungs and left finger length pieces of rib on the ground on the off side. She was knocked completely down and spun 180* to boot. She struggled to her feet and wobbled into the nearby high grass and colapsed. The blood trail was .....uh.....plentiful.

SS

Boz330
08-31-2007, 10:30 AM
I've tried WW in my BPCRs but always had trouble with leading to the point of affecting accuracy. Not to mention the hassel of cleaning it out. Having said that I didn't have a sizer that would size the boolits over groove diameter, which might give a better seal. I also read an artical about annealing the bullets shortly before shooting them that made a lot of sense. He did say that if they sat loaded for a while that they would age harden again. I would give it a try though and see how it works in your gun, like people they all seem to have their own pesonalities.

Bob

John Boy
08-31-2007, 06:46 PM
I've got a Quigley and a Buffalo Classic that likes WW's between 12 and 14 Bhn. Groups are best when the rounds are seated 0.002 off the leading bore cut

The H&R 38-55 barrel really likes the hard ones using 330gr bullets due to the shallow groove cuts. Any alloy greater than 1:10 really opens up the groups

Black Prince
09-06-2007, 11:18 AM
Madcaster

The Uberti high wall, especially one with double set triggers, is a fine shooting rifle and I see some on the firing line at big rifle shoots around north Georgia. In my observation and in talking with the owners, they have owned other rifles and bought the Uberti because it shot well and without regard for price, which is dam reasonable given the quality of the rifles I've examined. I have a friend that has one and it shoots as well, if not better, than my Badger barreled Browning highwall.

As far as bullet alloy goes, I shoot wheel weights in my Browning and they seem to do as well as any other alloy when using smokeless powder. Most rifles shooting black powder loads like a softer alloy however, and my Browning does, so much will depend on how you are going to load it as to the bullet alloy you are likely to have the best accuracy with.

But none of the bullet alloy questions should affect your decision about a Uberti highwall because they are very nice rifles for the money and in fact, they are very nice rifles if they cost much more than they do. I am fighting the urge for one chambered for a 38-55 and I wish you wouldn't talk about it anymore. I think I am loosing my grip on this chair and if that happens, next thing I know, there will be a dam Uberti highwall in 38-55 here and then I'll have to explain why I needed ANOTHER rifle and I am all out of room in the gun safe now.

Boz330
09-06-2007, 03:47 PM
Another rifle, same answer as that why climb the mountain question, cause it's there and needs to be in your safe. Yeh, I need a bigger safe as well.
Good to see you back BP.
As far as your ? on breech seating, I've got a buddy that has been playing with a Shutzen rifle and reading about that very thing. I'll pick his brain this weekend at the BPCRS match. He is one of those anal retentive types that can spout chapter and verse on whatever he looks into and I'm sure he can enlighten me. I would pass it off as being a wise a$$ except he shoots to good.

Bob

Black Prince
09-06-2007, 05:22 PM
Thanks Bob. Jim Kidwell told me that CPA Corporation sells them and I'm going to check them out too but let me know what you find out please.