PDA

View Full Version : A one inch micrometer.

Catshooter
04-13-2013, 01:47 PM
It is the one on the far right in this pic:

http://i379.photobucket.com/albums/oo235/Catshooter45/Items%20for%20sale/IMG_6352_zps96212c57.jpg (http://s379.photobucket.com/user/Catshooter45/media/Items%20for%20sale/IMG_6352_zps96212c57.jpg.html)

It's an older Lufkin mic. I've cleaned, oiled and adjusted it. It works fine and is accurate. I'd like it to go to someone who is getting into casting and needs a mic and knows why he needs one.

Please post your reply here and I'll pick the one I like the most. The mic is free of course and I'll pay the shipping anywhere in the US.

Thanks.

Cat

Glock Junkie
04-13-2013, 02:09 PM
I could use that Mic if no one else has claimed it , I just got into casting and have slowly acquired most things I need. A .401 sizing die and a Mic (few other little things ) are all I need to have a complete casting set up.

Shiloh
04-14-2013, 09:16 AM
Nice pics!!

Love those old Starrett mics!! I'm not making a request, just commenting on your pics and your generous gift. Kudo's to you sir!!:drinks:

Shiloh

Vtnam68
04-14-2013, 12:03 PM
I would love to have a mic to add to my boolit casting and my reloading. I cast my first boolits last fri. after forty years! I have a grandson (17) I have been raising from birth and he loves to reload. Now he wants more molds to cast for a 32 Win my grandmother gave me before she died. The mic would be put to good use.

Catshooter
04-16-2013, 01:33 PM
Glock Junkie,

Instead of giving you the mic I'm going to send you a .401 sizing die. PM me with your address if you would.

Vtnam68,

You get the mic. PM me your address please.

Cat

DougGuy
04-16-2013, 02:06 PM
Catshooter, that's a pretty cool thing you are doing with this thread, tip o' the hat to you sir..

Catshooter
04-16-2013, 03:04 PM
Thank you.

Cat

Glock Junkie
04-16-2013, 04:28 PM
Glock Junkie,

Instead of giving you the mic I'm going to send you a .401 sizing die. PM me with your address if you would.

Vtnam68,

You get the mic. PM me your address please.

Cat

Thank U Very Much ! Very generous of you !

Vtnam68
04-16-2013, 09:01 PM
Thank you so very much! The grandson can hardly wait to put it to use.

Andrew Mason
04-16-2013, 09:03 PM
well, have been casting for about 6 months now, and been reloading for about 10 years (near 1/2 my life)
but, i am starting gun smithing school in august and i am still hunting for a decent mic.

thank you.
-andrew mason

Catshooter
04-17-2013, 12:51 AM
You gentlemen are welcome.

Mr. Mason,

You don't want one of these. You'll need one that reads to tenths and has carbide faces. In school you'll learn why. :)

Cat

gray wolf
05-20-2013, 04:47 PM
I know how to use a Mic. and would sure appreciate having one I just can't afford to get one.
I do have a caliper but it depends on how it feels as to how it reacts.

Springfield
05-20-2013, 05:02 PM
gray wolf, pm sent.

sparkz
05-21-2013, 10:19 AM
Hi
My Son and I have been trying to learn brass reloading and casting for past few months
I had loaded shot shells for years but i am new to brass loading we do have a Caliper (A harbor-fright) and it seems to work well,
we had just got a Lyman 45 sizer and sized our first few sizes (Thanks to Brass Magnet, Great guy) But as of yet we dont have lots of stuff one of those being a Micrometer
and I might add we are gearing up for our first bottleneck shells ( 30-30 Thanks again Brass magnet,)
but as i say we have yet to load that,
But please consider us when you make your decision we have been trying to start-up on the cheap
but to be safe and do it correctly so sorta slow at it, (Better to wait then have a tag on your toe)

Patrick & Sean Campbell
Lost Creek, Kentucky

PS;
Thanks to whoever installed the spell check,
most of my posts are like trying to read hieroglyphics,,
Still cant fine the Jackile, the snake or sun with three fish over it keys tho

Catshooter
05-21-2013, 12:17 PM
sparkz,

I have already given out all the mics I had, sorry.

A caliper like a Harbor Freight can indeed seem to work well, but not. Or it might be fine. The only way to know though is to measure. I helps to have something that is a known diameter. A machinist will use what is know as a 'standard'. It's a finely finished piece of hardened steel of a known length. Or pin gauges would work.

Do you have a set of automotive feeler gauges? You know, for setting spark plug gaps? The leaves of one of those is usually accurate enough for what we do. And they're marked with their thickness. You could caliper some of those to check your tool. If it reads agrees with the marked size you'd be good to go.

Hope this helps, good luck and welcome to the site.

Cat

sparkz
05-24-2013, 06:59 AM
Yes I do have a feeler gauge, I never thought about usein that, Good Idea I had wanted to check it too,
I was thinking drill bits, but il try the spark gapper

Thanks
Patrick

Catshooter
05-24-2013, 12:59 PM
You're welcome. Hope it helps.

Drill bits will trick you. They aren't the size they are marked due to the way they drill they are undersized. You can trust an end mill (if you have one) but do remember that they are both very hard and very sharp and they can mar or cut the faces of your measuring tools unless they are carbide faced.

Cat

DRNurse1
07-03-2013, 10:05 AM
Catshooter:

I had a few minutes to read some of the posts and you, sir, are both considerate of your listeners and extremely helpful in dispensing your information and your 'excess' supply of tools. Thank you.

Catshooter
07-03-2013, 03:11 PM
Well thank you for the very kind words. I usually have real success when speaking to someone (for teaching and helping them) but I really struggle with the written word. I'm trying! :)

Cat

w5pv
07-03-2013, 03:59 PM
Good pictures,use to have a whole set up to six inches but they have all disappeared except one 0-1" and a couple of 6 inch dial calipers.Hope you find some one that will take care of them,Used them for over 40 years until I retired in 1996.

Finster101
07-07-2013, 07:36 PM
The Harbor Freight calipers can be quite accurate. I bought one for the shop to mic rotors and one for reloading. One of my buddies has one that was well over $100.00 and in comparison measurements the HF does quite well. You just have to remember not to get to forceful with it.

James

Cat, very nice of you.

CastingFool
11-14-2013, 11:02 PM
I still have my dad's oddball set of mikes, from 1" to 5", plus his dial calipers. When reloading, I use my dial calipers pretty much all the time.