PDA

View Full Version : Should I buy 2 Blackhawk 45LC's?

jonp
04-13-2013, 01:45 PM
I've been looking for a Blackhawk 45LC for some time with a short barrel. I just found a guy has a matched pair he used in SASS and is selling as he is getting out of it. Both have Pearl Handles and 7 inch barrels. I can get the pair for $775. Not really in the market for both or the longer barrel but the price seems good to me.

What to do?

dbosman
04-13-2013, 01:48 PM
Barrels can be shortened. Guns in standard calibers can generally be sold. If you add in the cost of shortening the barrel - after you try the longer one for a reasonable time - how would that make the money look?

DougGuy
04-13-2013, 02:01 PM
$367.50 for a Blackhawk in 45 caliber is awful cheap these days.. If it was an original (large frame) model 45 Colt Vaquero in stainless with the long barrel, heh we could make this a group buy!

rintinglen
04-13-2013, 02:11 PM
No, you should not buy them. You should tell me where to go so I could buy them. You don't want them, they are too long, (These are not the droids you are looking for).:kidding:

PS Paul
04-13-2013, 02:11 PM
Sounds like Vaqueros with fixed sights? I prefer adjustable, especially with varying boolit weights, but fixed works at SASS distances..... You SHOULD by 'em! .45 Colt is the BEST revolver cartridge of all time (in my assessment due to power, versatility, accuracy in the RIGHT GUN and just plain fun to shoot!), if you are a caster and reloader. Not so much with just factory ammo...... But I always support folks' decisions when thinkin' about buying for the right price.

opos
04-13-2013, 02:15 PM
Check to see if there has been any SASS type of modifications done...I'm not really sure what some of the shooters do but I know a guy that bought a "quick draw" gun from a competition shooter and the whole trigger and hammer mechanism had been altered and the gun was not really something he wanted for just "normal" shooting. I'm sure some of the SASS guys could chime in here...just passing something along that I got from a buddy

Kull
04-13-2013, 02:46 PM
I can get the pair for $775. Not really in the market for both or the longer barrel but the price seems good to me.

What to do?

Whether or not you need both at that price I would go for it. Unless there's something wrong with them that's a good deal.

If your unfamiliar with revolvers, and even if your not, here's a checkout sheet that has lots of info.

fcvan
04-13-2013, 03:01 PM
My 4 5/8" Vaquero in 45 Colt was previously owned by a quick draw shooter who only used BP or wax slugs. He messed with the springs and made it so light that if you cock it too fast it will spin the cylinder too far and the bolt doesn't lock the cylinder. Under normal conditions it indexes just fine so I will probably order a new set of springs and bring it back to factory. My other Vaquero is also 4 5/8" chambered in 38-40 with a 40 S&W cylinder. This one I purchased new.

That matched pair is worth way more than what he is asking. The SASS matched guns were usually sequential numbers with a case. If the guy just bought two of them to make a pair they are still worth more than he is asking. If you bought them you could easily use them as barter stock for whatever it is you truly want.

I like the 4 5/8" barrels as my dad has an original Colt 5 1/2" and a RBH 7 1/2" in 30 Carbine. My wife picked up a SBH with a 3 3/4" which is a neat 44 mag. I prefer the shorter barrel in a cross draw which works well for me when carrying a long gun or a fishing pole. I got used to cross draw for the single action pistols when I did a lot of BP percussion with an 1858 Remington copy that has an 8" barrel. The leather for that was stiff and tight but I still managed to do ok for quick shots at 21 feet. The shorter barreled Vaqueros are a little easier to wield.

jonp
04-13-2013, 03:44 PM
Sounds like Vaqueros with fixed sights? I prefer adjustable, especially with varying boolit weights, but fixed works at SASS distances..... You SHOULD by 'em! .45 Colt is the BEST revolver cartridge of all time (in my assessment due to power, versatility, accuracy in the RIGHT GUN and just plain fun to shoot!), if you are a caster and reloader. Not so much with just factory ammo...... But I always support folks' decisions when thinkin' about buying for the right price.
No they have adjustable sights and the regular grips

jonp
04-13-2013, 03:47 PM
my 4 5/8" vaquero in 45 colt was previously owned by a quick draw shooter who only used bp or wax slugs. He messed with the springs and made it so light that if you cock it too fast it will spin the cylinder too far and the bolt doesn't lock the cylinder. Under normal conditions it indexes just fine so i will probably order a new set of springs and bring it back to factory. My other vaquero is also 4 5/8" chambered in 38-40 with a 40 s&w cylinder. This one i purchased new.

That matched pair is worth way more than what he is asking. The sass matched guns were usually sequential numbers with a case. If the guy just bought two of them to make a pair they are still worth more than he is asking. If you bought them you could easily use them as barter stock for whatever it is you truly want.

I like the 4 5/8" barrels as my dad has an original colt 5 1/2" and a rbh 7 1/2" in 30 carbine. My wife picked up a sbh with a 3 3/4" which is a neat 44 mag. I prefer the shorter barrel in a cross draw which works well for me when carrying a long gun or a fishing pole. I got used to cross draw for the single action pistols when i did a lot of bp percussion with an 1858 remington copy that has an 8" barrel. The leather for that was stiff and tight but i still managed to do ok for quick shots at 21 feet. The shorter barreled vaqueros are a little easier to wield.

I also much prefer the shorter barrel. He has not made any modifications. I'm not sure if they are sequential number however.

I am going to reload for 45 colt with boolits as this forum has talked me into it.

I originally was looking for a short barrel convertible 45acp/45lc but guess I could send them to the factory and fit some cylinders to them.

nagantguy
04-13-2013, 03:57 PM
yes you should buy them and then I will buy one of them from you at half of the price of the set. we both win! you could use the money from me to shorten the barrel of the one you keep.

jonp
04-13-2013, 04:12 PM
yes you should buy them and then I will buy one of them from you at half of the price of the set. we both win! you could use the money from me to shorten the barrel of the one you keep.

Everyone is so helpful in wanting to take them off of my hands and I haven't even decided to buy them yet!

jonp
04-13-2013, 04:13 PM
Whether or not you need both at that price I would go for it. Unless there's something wrong with them that's a good deal.

If your unfamiliar with revolvers, and even if your not, here's a checkout sheet that has lots of info.

Thats one of the most useful pdf's I've come across in a long time. Thanks.

Kull
04-13-2013, 04:38 PM
Thats one of the most useful pdf's I've come across in a long time. Thanks.

My pleasure.

I originally was looking for a short barrel convertible 45acp/45lc but guess I could send them to the factory and fit some cylinders to them.

I have a 4 5/8 Flattop Blackhawk Convertible. My original thought was that it would be neat to be able to throw in a 45 ACP cylinder for some reduced recoil target shooting. To this day I've never used the 45 ACP cylinder. Me personally, I found that if I wanted reduced loads for target stuff I'd just rather just load that in 45 Colt and forget about swapping cylinders. That and since I do own other 45 ACP semi-auto pistols, those are what I want to shoot when I want to shoot 45 ACP anyway. If I didn't have any pistols in 45 ACP it might be a different story.

runfiverun
04-13-2013, 05:35 PM
the 45 acp load is a reduced 45 colt load.
5.5 grs of unique in the acp is 7.5 grs in the colt.

jonp
04-13-2013, 08:18 PM
Decided to buy one. It's all mine

Cherokee
04-13-2013, 08:19 PM
Looks good, I would have both, but that's me.

jonp
04-13-2013, 08:23 PM
Me too but my bank account said one.

SciFiJim
04-14-2013, 12:38 AM
Should you have bought both? :shock:

I would have broken my arm and set my pocket on fire reaching for my wallet.

If the bank account said," only one", then the investment of buying both makes even more sense. You could have sold one of them for more than half of the cost of both and reduced the price to you on the remaining one.