PDA

View Full Version : An unusual Ruger SBH Bisley

Trey45
04-13-2013, 01:00 PM
Have you ever seen one with a fluted cylinder? This is a first for me. Both are 44's, the Bisley Hunter is one I've had for a while, the blued Bisley is one I bought from a forum member and had it transfered yesterday.
http://images52.fotki.com/v637/photos/6/1809686/11340817/OldandnewBishawks-vi.jpg

The year code puts this one at 1986 manufacture. It's in beautiful condition inside and out. Came with box and paperwork.

There's something about a single action that just trips my trigger.

chsparkman
04-13-2013, 01:05 PM
I have the same pair of revolvers, only in .41 magnum. From what I've read, the Bisleys first came with the fluted cylinders until the scrolled, unfluted ones came into production. I also have a .32 Bisley with and unfluted cylinder of about the same age. Great revolvers....much fun.

Trey45
04-13-2013, 01:07 PM
I have a long term interest in 41 mag, especially the Ruger single actions. One day I may take the 41 plunge.

wallenba
04-13-2013, 01:23 PM
67307Yeah, I have one. It's an older one. Even then you had to ask for the option when ordering. I had mine shortened a bit, and a white insert made for the front sight and a white outline in the back. Great work by D&D gunsmiths Troy, Michigan.

Trey45
04-13-2013, 01:31 PM
I have considered having the Hunter shortened to 5" and have the rib milled down just enough to remove the scope ring divots. That's a good looking job he did on yours.

chsparkman
04-13-2013, 01:42 PM
Both of my .41's are great shooters. On the Hunter, I put a Leupold VXIII scope and loaded some hot rounds for hunting. I zeroed it for 75 yards, where at that distance it will shoot 1" groups. The other will shoot very well, better than me with open sights, but the geometry of the grip is slightly different. It really beats up my middle finger under heavy recoil. There seems to be a slightly smaller gap between the grip and the trigger guard than exists on the Hunter model. I'm planning to try making some new grip panels and play with the measurements to see If I can correct the problem. With light loads, no problem exists.

As for barrel length, I have a couple of single actions with 4.75 and 5.5 in barrels and I am much more accurate with the 7.5.

PS Paul
04-13-2013, 02:15 PM
I would just about bet that if you polled the Members here, you would find the Blackhawk is about the most-owned and most shot/cast for/reloaded for handguns owned by the highest percentage of us. I'm biased, as you can see by my avatard, but I hear more from others on this forum and SEE more photos of these revolvers than all others combined.

Naturally, this is just a guess, but an edumacated one at least..... Them's fine lookin' guns. Congrats!

Trey45
04-13-2013, 02:22 PM
Thanks Paul and I agree with you, I would wager that 75% or more of this forum owns at least one Blackhawk or Vaquero. I have 2 SBH's, 4 Blackhawks, 1 Vaquero. So far. There's a Birdshead Vaquero in my future.

Tatume
04-13-2013, 03:59 PM
I have a long term interest in 41 mag, especially the Ruger single actions. One day I may take the 41 plunge.

Hi Trey,

My 4-5/8" 41 Mag Ruger Blackhawk is the most accurate Blackhawk I've ever owned. Chamber throats are uniformly 0.410" and my bullets are sized the same. They are pushed into the chambers and the full diameter of the bullet is in the throat. They shoot great!

Take care, Tom

runfiverun
04-13-2013, 09:26 PM
they also make a 44 special black hawk in bisley.
I have one still new in box, but it's only a couple of years old.

Lloyd Smale
04-14-2013, 07:20 AM
i dont recall ruger ever making a bisley 7.5 inch 44 mag with a flutted cylinder and if they did and it was 6one of the first it would be serial no. in the 1986 range. No harm no foul though as i personaly prefer them flutted and all of my bisleys now have flutted cylinders with the exception of my two accusport 5.5 inch guns.
Have you ever seen one with a fluted cylinder? This is a first for me. Both are 44's, the Bisley Hunter is one I've had for a while, the blued Bisley is one I bought from a forum member and had it transfered yesterday.
http://images52.fotki.com/v637/photos/6/1809686/11340817/OldandnewBishawks-vi.jpg

The year code puts this one at 1986 manufacture. It's in beautiful condition inside and out. Came with box and paperwork.

There's something about a single action that just trips my trigger.