PDA

View Full Version : Lube making question

Namerifrats
08-30-2007, 10:29 PM
When making the Felix lube, do you just heat it in a pot directly on the stove eye or do you use a double boiler method to steam heat the pot? Seems like I read that somewhere. Also, what setting do you usually keep it on to get the mineral oil smoking and what do you turn it back to when adding the other ingredients?

lar45
08-30-2007, 10:37 PM
The safest way to go is with a double boiler.
A gas range does a good job for melting everything with the flame way low. You do have to watch it so it doesn't get too hot and burn.
You can do it on an electric stove, but becareful you don't burn it.
You might want to do this outside or in the garage so you don't smokeup the house.

For the heat settings, you'll just have to watch it close.

Have fun.

Namerifrats
08-30-2007, 10:41 PM
Thanks for the quick reply Lar45, got some Carnauba Red ordered from you, but wanted to try some of my own as well. Can't ever have enough lubes, bullets, or powders. :castmine:

Lloyd Smale
08-31-2007, 05:55 AM
double boiler.

jonk
08-31-2007, 11:16 AM
I do it right on the burner. How can you get the oil smoking in a double boiler? Ain't gonna happen. If you want to do things from there on the double boiler, that would be smart.

OLPDon
08-31-2007, 11:49 AM
Jonk

I have to agree with you on heating caster oil and baby oil till smoking, have to polermize the oils. I don't believe 212 F will do it plus the Ivory soap need the temp.
Double boiler I use for reheating for adding lube to lube sizer the reheating of lube seem to make the lube even better.

Namer
Here is a link to thread this forum will answer most of your question and will prolly give you some new ideas.
Don
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=7117&highlight=magical+mystery

Namerifrats
08-31-2007, 12:10 PM
I made my first batch last night. I learned exactly what was just said about getting the heat up in a double boiler. I started with the double boiler method, after 45 minutes and no smoke from the oil I figured maybe I was just missing it because of the steam from the double boiler. So I added my Castor Oil and and wait, waited, waited, said "hmmmm". Checked the temp a few times and kept getting 200+ degrees. Added the soap and after 10 minutes with no melting I dumped those ingredients, went to a pot straight on the eye and done my oils and soap in no time. Then double boiled the wax. Made a nice even batch!

felix
08-31-2007, 12:23 PM
You folks are doing a great job. Imagination required, and you guys have it. Be careful with mixing a lube with a high melting point. Higher the melting point, and/or higher the viscosity, the more problems you will have getting the maximum number of shots in before cleaning the barrel. The white/gray you see build up might not be lead, but lube. A couple of light cleaning strokes, after a couple of minutes wait with solvent first, will let you know which. The solvent SHOULD loosen up the lube enough to eliminate it. This would mean the lube needs adjusting for that load. High temps and/or high viscosity should be avoided as much as is possible for the load in question. ... felix

OLPDon
08-31-2007, 12:59 PM
To All:
I am not amazed how much knowledge I have picked up here on Castboolits. What I am Amazed is how much knowledge is here on the Board.
Special Thanks to:
Felix, 357Max (Mike), Bullshop, Buckshot, 45 2.21, Boomer Mikey, RanchDog, Lar45, all the Honchos that aid me to lighten up my wallet/
And last but not least the members, with the great questions for insite into the Art of Boolit Casting.
Don

44man
08-31-2007, 01:19 PM
I work on the burner until the two oils are mixed and the soap in. The heat is reduced or put in a double boiler for the wax and lanolin. You only need higher heat for the first part.