PDA

View Full Version : Need to follow this guy

btroj
04-13-2013, 09:44 AM
Was at the range yesterday. Range officer asked what I was shooting. Mentioned cast bullets.
He told me how he gets Linotype from a buddy and mixes it with wheel weights for his 230 RN in 45 ACP. I would love to get his range scrap.
I mentioned I use lots of range scrap, he said long as I stay below 1000 fps I should be ok. I told him I take it way beyond that.

He then told me he just finished casting a whopping 1500 bullets for he and his kid for the summer. Didn't have the heart to mention ere are guys here who do that every month. Or every weekend.

Just shows that you can't believe everyone you meet. Sure is a good thing I wasn't shooting my micrgroove 336, his head woulda exploded!

cbrick
04-13-2013, 10:13 AM
Many, many years ago I heard that you have to stay below 1000 fps to shoot cast. Good thing I was already doing 2000 fps before I heard that or who knows, I may still be shooting under 1000 fps. :veryconfu

Old wives tales never die, too many people are convinced that great grand dad said this is the way it is and they never seem to get curious & see for themselves. Just keep repeating what great grand dad said and besides, this gun writer cast 100 bullets so he could write an article and he had read that . . . (fill in the blank).

Sounds very much like this range officer just needs a little guidance & instruction as to the error of his ways. Who knows, he may even become one who helps dispel some old wives tales.

Rick

btroj
04-13-2013, 10:19 AM
He had other stories that made me wonder. Like the fact that isotope containers make such good, hard bullets because they contain 4 percent silver!

I decided it was better to beat my head against a wall than try to explain reality to him.

Yeah, he bought the "line" hook, line, and sinker. No reason to argue with him. He has all the answers.

geargnasher
04-13-2013, 10:25 AM
Tell him those containers are radioactive and will give him (disorder X) if he keeps them about, but being in the medical industry yourself you can dispose of them for him free of charge. Also, he must shoot straight linotype for best results, and you found certain shooting position and target position that aligns wind and light just right (and happens to have easy-mining dirt behind it) and he might like shooting from there.

Gear

Freightman
04-13-2013, 10:45 AM
I know a few men who cast their boolits from straight Linotype they wer the luky few who were around when the paper went to digital and got for free several barrels of the stuff. They are not going to sell any ether I ask. But I know the position they shoot at and it ends up in my range scrap[smilie=s:

btroj
04-13-2013, 10:47 AM
That makes Frank a very smart man.

JonB_in_Glencoe
04-13-2013, 11:09 AM
I decided it was better to beat my head against a wall than try to explain reality to him.

I figured out looooooooong ago, it's better to "just" listen to some folks, because they don't listen back.

I heard this at a gunshow a few months ago....
"AR's are nothing special to own, I own an AK-47 and I can shoot both of calibers in that gun, but the 223 aren't that accurate."

btroj
04-13-2013, 11:17 AM
Wow, I can't top that. Not even close. Some people shouldn't be allowed to breed.

dbosman
04-13-2013, 02:22 PM
Wow, I can't top that. Not even close. Some people shouldn't be allowed to breed.

Yeah, but no license is required in most countries. Yet.