PDA

View Full Version : Preparing to move

LAH
08-09-2005, 08:09 AM
Decided to take yesterday and get some moulds ready for storeage. I brushed them down well with a bronze brush, used a scribe on the vent lines and just generally tried to get clean surfaces. I removed the sprue plates and covered all with "Drop Out". These will be placed in a dry place till once again I can cast.

I'm not sure how many moulds are considered "A Lot" but having never counted mine I found yesterday I'm the owner of 51. Certainly enough to do in one day. HEE HEE

rugerman1
08-09-2005, 09:59 AM
LAH,You bring up a good topic of long term mould storage.A while back I bought some of these on Ebay.Anti Corrosion VCI Zip Lock Bags (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3685140071)
Is VCI a good storage medium for bullet moulds?How many different chemicals qualify as a VCI?Anyone ever use these for long periods? I've only had my moulds in these for just a couple months. :???:

David R
08-09-2005, 06:25 PM
I have had some molds for 18 years. Everybody told me "Never use oil on a mold". I was told to just leave the boolits in the mold. NOW after wire brushing the rust off, I spray them down with OIL Lots of it. When I want to use them, I clean them off with electical cleaner or brakleen. The oil comes off, they cast beutiful boolits. The ones that did rust leave a "textured" look to the boolits. No more will rust for me.

kenjuudo
08-09-2005, 07:19 PM
LAH,You bring up a good topic of long term mould storage.A while back I bought some of these on Ebay.Anti Corrosion VCI Zip Lock Bags (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3685140071)
Is VCI a good storage medium for bullet moulds?How many different chemicals qualify as a VCI?Anyone ever use these for long periods? I've only had my moulds in these for just a couple months. :???:

Been using the Cortec brand for a couple of years, seem to work as advertised,price was under fifty cents a piece. Store mostly delicate machined parts in them, my molds get a healthy dose of oil.

buck1
08-19-2005, 11:20 AM
I store with oil to. I have a buddy that washes his molds with hoppies first, dryes then stores in a small card board box. Never any rust.... Buck

7br
08-19-2005, 01:55 PM
We moved in May of this year. I would rather take a beating than move again because beatings eventually stop. Next move is either going to be to the mortuary or the nursing home. I have my reloading bench up, but the press and lubrizer are still in storage. I needed to remodel two rooms in the basement and should finish up the second next weekend. After that it is installing the second garage door opener and painting the interior. Dear lord, please let it stop before hunting season.

Scrounger
08-19-2005, 02:09 PM
We moved in May of this year. I would rather take a beating than move again because beatings eventually stop. Next move is either going to be to the mortuary or the nursing home. I have my reloading bench up, but the press and lubrizer are still in storage. I needed to remodel two rooms in the basement and should finish up the second next weekend. After that it is installing the second garage door opener and painting the interior. Dear lord, please let it stop before hunting season.

I moved in November 2003 and I'm about the same place you are as far as getting set up to reload. Building a garage accounts for a major portion of the delay, family problems taking up my time and using up my mental resources is another culprit. Getting old and going in a totally different direction created some problems too. Due to age, lack of energy, and constant weather problems, my shooting volume is going to drastically decrease from what it was 2 years ago. Life is change. So be it.

BlueMoon
08-19-2005, 03:55 PM
I usually just spray my iron molds with WD-40. Is this not right? I don't have any drop-out but could get some from Midway. I'm not talking about longterm but things happen and you never know.

Bill

D.Mack
08-19-2005, 09:16 PM
Bluemoon be wary of WD40, its great stuff for what it is designed for, but the W D stands for water displacement, its water soluable, and after you have displaced the water, it can reabsorb moisture and hold it in place, end result, rust. I use it for all kinds of stuff, but for long term storage it can do damage to your molds.

Frank46
08-20-2005, 02:35 AM
Kenjuudo, and others. LPS makes a great rust preventative spray. Its either LPS #1 or #2. Can't remember which. Since my lathe is in the garage thats what I use. Just spray all metal parts and after three years no rust. Great stuff. Comes in spray cans and one gallon cans also. Frank

Maineboy
08-20-2005, 08:06 AM
I've recently moved too, but my reloading/casting stuff is pretty well unpacked and ready for use. I used to store everything in the basement at the old place, but since we don't have a basement here, it is in the unheated garage. My mould blocks have always been stored are in 50 cal. ammo cans without any treatment added and I'm not doing anything different here. So far, no problems.

moodyholler
08-22-2005, 07:21 AM
LAH, where are you moving to? Still in WV? moodyholler

LAH
06-21-2011, 06:46 AM
LAH, where are you moving to? Still in WV? moodyholler

Thought I'd bring this to the top & let all know I'm still getting a mould from storeage now & then. The Drop Out worked fine, no rust.

And moodyholler I never answered you question for some reason. I'm in Beckley.

MGySgt
06-21-2011, 04:08 PM
I just got done with another move - Got my range in, casting shed is in (no power to it YET). Been digging a ditch for 3 weeks now - God - it is hell getting old.

Reloading bench up, sizer cart ready, just need to get the casting shed in order - have 3 new moulds to try out, had them for a while now.

LAH
06-21-2011, 04:53 PM
I just got done with another move - Got my range in, casting shed is in (no power to it YET). Been digging a ditch for 3 weeks now - God - it is hell getting old.

Reloading bench up, sizer cart ready, just need to get the casting shed in order - have 3 new moulds to try out, had them for a while now.

You're making good progress.

cbrick
06-21-2011, 06:07 PM
I thought you were moving again until I saw the post date. :mrgreen:

Rick

LAH
06-21-2011, 06:36 PM
I may move again but no time soon. Hate moving.

MGySgt
06-21-2011, 09:38 PM
Fooled me too - I thought he was moving out of town and back up the mountain!

Creeker - I think you remember when I was building that deck - I swore I wouldn't move again - Well I was wrong!

Wife followed me for 26 years in the Corps - I guess I can follow her once!

LAH
06-22-2011, 07:34 AM
Fooled me too - I thought he was moving out of town and back up the mountain!

Creeker - I think you remember when I was building that deck - I swore I wouldn't move again - Well I was wrong!

Wife followed me for 26 years in the Corps - I guess I can follow her once!

Maybe you & she will settle for awhile.

Buckshot
06-23-2011, 11:26 PM
...........My wife's people are from Beckley. She used to go back with her mom yearly for a family reunion. Hasn't been for several years now. Kinda hard to get to it appears. Fly from Ontario, CA to Chicago, IL. Then some regional outfit to Maryland I think she said, then into a Piper or Cessna :-) that never raised it's gear as it landed in every pasture between there and Beckley:kidding:

...................Buckshot

Piedmont
06-24-2011, 03:11 AM
I've been to Beckley several times. Beautiful country around there.

LAH
06-24-2011, 09:25 AM
...........My wife's people are from Beckley. She used to go back with her mom yearly for a family reunion. Hasn't been for several years now. Kinda hard to get to it appears. Fly from Ontario, CA to Chicago, IL. Then some regional outfit to Maryland I think she said, then into a Piper or Cessna :-) that never raised it's gear as it landed in every pasture between there and Beckley:kidding:

...................Buckshot

I can remember flying to Richmond & landing 3 times. HEE HEE

MGySgt
06-24-2011, 03:31 PM
Don't pick on Richmond - I have to fly out of the place on occassion - wife flew out a week and half ago from RIR to visit the daughter in Gulfport Miss

God - it has been quiet here since she left! :)

XWrench3
06-28-2011, 08:45 AM
Dear lord, please let it stop before hunting season.

doesn't EVERYTHING stop for hunting season???

mroliver77
06-28-2011, 12:41 PM
I keep trying to learn to look at post dates but just cannot learn it. When I got to the post that you live in Beckly I knew then something was up. I THEN looked at the date and said ahhh. I could prolly read the archives and never know that I have read most of it before!

Here in NW OH swampland oil is a must on my molds. I use tranny fluid, Marvel mystery oil, Eds REd or a combination of them. It cleans off very easily.
Jay

LAH
06-28-2011, 07:15 PM
So tell me Jay, are you catching smallmouth up there?

mroliver77
07-02-2011, 10:59 AM
Actually I have been sickly the last couple years and with gardening, mowing and woodcutting chores I have not been fishing at all! I look at my tackle occasionally and think I must make time. My fishin partner is commuting 3-1/2 hrs to work to keep a job and has no time to play these days. ;(
Jay

LAH
07-02-2011, 10:10 PM
Sure would like to fish some of that country.