PDA

View Full Version : "Uncrimping" factory shells

Hogtamer
04-13-2013, 08:52 AM
I've read a lot on here about replacing shot loads with slugs of same weight. Question: is there a good way to get the crimp out of factory loads and empty the shot without ruining the hull?

dbosman
04-13-2013, 09:35 AM
Some folks cut the crimp away, load a slug, and roll crimp as the slug is shorter than the same weight of pellets.
You can make a wooden jig with a shallow cavity, mount (screws to hold it in place) a utility knife blade and rotate the shells against the blade.
Or, mount a utility knife blade over a piece of popcicle stick, and rotate the shells against that.

SuperBlazingSabots
04-13-2013, 09:40 AM
Good morning HogTamer, I usually use a tiny screw driver, poke it in the center of the fold crimp and little by little open each fold a little at a time!
The screw driver that you use to tighten up your spectacle screws.
Once opened I use a Magic marker to press the hull in a open position!

Best regards,
Ajay
Blazing Sabots, LLC
www.facebook.com/BlazingSabots?ref=hl
www.facebook.com/pages/Preci...75489969155338

Hogtamer
04-13-2013, 10:49 AM
I just did 10 Winchester 1 1/8 field loads, put 2 - 16 gauge overshot cards down in the wad, my 1 oz Lee slug and actually got a good recrimp. Will shoot a little later and post results.

Chicken Thief
04-13-2013, 11:54 AM
There is a tool for "unwrinkling" shotshells. Looks like a pyramid drill without the cutting edge.
Incert it into the shell and spin it, the friction will heat the plastic and "iron" out the deformities.

http://www.ballisticproducts.com/Spin-Doctor-Large-Bore-10-to-20ga/productinfo/SPINDOC/

Cap'n Morgan
04-14-2013, 02:38 AM
Maybe some sort of kinetic bullet puller would work. You can see the principle at work here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yAvLAsyTVC0

It should be a simple matter to make something similar, large enough to accommodate a shotshell. A single, hard blow will probably more efficient than a number of weak ones due to the springiness of the crimp. I'm sure the remaining crimp will ensure the powder & wad stays in the hull.

silverman1
04-14-2013, 08:53 AM
I bought an old hickory mallet at a garage sale,that was app 3.5 in round,and 5 in high.
I bored a hole in the center of the end,with a spade drill,4 in. deep.and 12 ga. hull dia.
I just made a turn cleat out of wood ,to hold the 12 ga load into it.
I was given about 100 AA loads that had got wet,and the ''brass'' was almost rusted through,and the primers would not go off. [He left a can of soda in his shell bag,and it froze in his truck,and soaked 4 boxes]
At todays prices on shot,I wanted to salvage it.
It takes on good hard whack,to open the end,and catch the shot,and the wads I just pulled out with hemostats.

SuperBlazingSabots
04-14-2013, 09:29 AM
I would not do that for safety reasons, watch out, you were lucky this time.
Look up and say, Thank you!

Best regards,
Ajay
https://www.facebook.com/BlazingSabots

mac60
04-14-2013, 06:10 PM
I use a corkscrew.

Hogtamer
04-14-2013, 09:11 PM
Got it, thanks! Corkscrew on Swiss Rey knife worked great! I love this site...

Swamp Man
04-14-2013, 11:48 PM
I was thinking maybe use a wood screw and vise grips,screw it into the center of the crimp and then pull the screw with the vise grips.

stocker1042
04-15-2013, 04:18 PM
I was just given a bunch of shells in the same boat...rusted...old paper ones that got wet. I want to get the shot out! Going to try some of these methods.