PDA

View Full Version : .300 Subsonic: Whisper or AAC?

TXGunNut
04-12-2013, 11:56 PM
I dislike threads like this but my brother is getting ready to have a rifle built and I really don't have a good answer. He wants a suppressed .30 for pest control on pigs. I'm not much interested in suppressed hunting rifles but have been recommending (and lusting after) an AR-10 type rifle for years....OK, decades. I don't think a subsonic .308 is a viable option, I think that leaves the AAC and the Whisper.
Here's the wrinkle: he doesn't reload and casting is something he does with an ultralight rod. I'm thinking the AAC/Blackout is nearly legit, may even have SAAMI specs by now. The Whisper seems to have it's advantages but am looking for real-world, brass on the ground, feedback. I've reloaded his hunting ammo for many years but I'm simply not interested in taking on this project...unless he orders a second rifle for "load testing" purposes and stores it in my safe. Short of that, I think he's going to be best served by the cartridge most likely to be on the shelf when this silliness ends, I'm thinking that's the AAC.
What do ya'll think?

nhrifle
04-13-2013, 01:03 AM
The 300 AAC is a great round and a whole bunch of fun to shoot, and the easiest build I ever did. Swap a new barrel and flash hider (different threads) and load up. Small powder charges make it economical to shoot, and it can be loaded to be a very effective hunting/defense cartridge. The brass is easy to make, just trim a bit from a 5.56 case, run through the sizer, and final trim. Great cast shooter.

TXGunNut
04-14-2013, 01:05 PM
Hmmmm.....I see another ugly black gun in my future.

KinkBreaker
04-14-2013, 01:13 PM
300 aac blk for sure.
3 local gun shops carry cartridges for the aac when available but the dont even have a spot on the shelf for the whisper
also from what ive read 300 whisper can be fired in the 300 blackout chamber making new cases for the blackout but not the other way around

john hayslip
04-14-2013, 03:14 PM
From every thing I've read I don't think there is any difference in the two except the throat. 300 blackout is SAAMI aproved. Bullets for it in the sonic range are currently unavailable due to the fact that the light weight ones are basically outside the usual 30 cal weights and the shortage has just made it worse.. I've found quite a bit of loading data but so far none I've tried has cycled mine. It does cycle correctly with both the Remington 115 sonic and their subsonic so there is light at the end of the tunnel if I can just find it. I tried some 110 fr roundnose bullets probably designed for the carbine and the bolt won't completely close on them. So far loads with 4227 and 110 close to max haven't functioned the bolt when using the Sierra 110 gr jword. I'm have doubts of the 30 caliber bullets expanding at the max sonic velocities one can attain according to loading data I have. Sonic when loaded with a 125 or thereabouts boolit it is basically a 7.62 x 39 in terms of velocity and power. So far I'm not impressed.

Artful
04-14-2013, 05:15 PM
I dislike threads like this but my brother is getting ready to have a rifle built and I really don't have a good answer. He wants a suppressed .30 for pest control on pigs. I'm not much interested in suppressed hunting rifles but have been recommending (and lusting after) an AR-10 type rifle for years....OK, decades. I don't think a subsonic .308 is a viable option, I think that leaves the AAC and the Whisper.

Why 30 caliber? - If he doesn't reload it would be more logical to have something in larger caliber that's subsonicly factory ammo easily found like 45ACP - 230 grain loadings, 44 Special, 9x19mm 147-158 grainers, etc.

Here's the wrinkle: he doesn't reload and casting is something he does with an ultralight rod. I'm thinking the AAC/Blackout is nearly legit, may even have SAAMI specs by now. The Whisper seems to have it's advantages but am looking for real-world, brass on the ground, feedback. I've reloaded his hunting ammo for many years but I'm simply not interested in taking on this project...unless he orders a second rifle for "load testing" purposes and stores it in my safe. Short of that, I think he's going to be best served by the cartridge most likely to be on the shelf when this silliness ends, I'm thinking that's the AAC.
What do ya'll think?

I agree with your logic and Remington/AAC's 300 Blackout is as legit as any other factory produced round. I comes in subsonic and supersonic loadings. I have a 300/221 Fireball and the 300 Blk is just a product improved 300 Whisper requiring less care in making ammo from 223/5.56 brass.

Subsonic 308 is something available but very costly and doesn't work as well as 300 BLK from ease of reloading it.

Coonazz
04-22-2013, 12:52 AM
Guns n Ammo puts out a quarterly publication called The Book Of The AR. Last one was called The Blackout Edition and it has 150 pgs. of info on the Blackout and rifles so chambered.
John

casca
04-22-2013, 01:14 AM
if you don't reload now would be the worst time, to jump on-board the 300 train. To many people are complaining about their expensive paperweights , with just little or no ammo to be found. It's even hard to find the 223 brass to convert right now..

I purchased the handi in 300 aac blackout , knowing that i would be in this trouble. I reload and have purchased all equipment to convert form trim & load the 300 blk out.

there is a plan for a AR upper once thing settle down, I am afraid that this AMMO SPELL maybe the new normal for quite some time to come.

good luck
casca

NVScouter
04-22-2013, 05:59 PM
Both cases can throw a 250g prjectile at the necissary speed so let me ask this:

Would you rather hunt down .223 brass or 221Fireball brass?