PDA

View Full Version : For those of you with pets

shooter93
04-12-2013, 07:44 PM
Many members here have pets and post when when one is gone. It's a very difficult time for "pet people" like losing a member of the Family which they do have a habit of becoming. All pets are special and over the years there are Special special pets. For me this was Miss Jackson. Just a mutt dog, no pedigree but sure to steal your heart. Quite often neighbors who were out and about would stop by, not to see me but to visit awhile with Miss Jackson. Everyone who visited her always left saying...She is just a happy dog, you can see that in her eyes.
My wife works out of the house and at times I work in the shop for months at a time so for 17 years she was rarely not at our side. I buried her here Wed. It was some very obscure blood disorder that came on rapidly, within 3 days start to finish. There was no hope in saving her and she was in distress. We were with her when the vet helped her cross over painlessly.
Someone who is more precious to me than words can describe sent me the following note so I thought I'd post it here for those who know the loss of a pet or to maybe keep to send to a frind who loses one.

In their all to short lives our pets give us all they can,
their friendship, their unselfish love and total loyalty.
There comes a time when we must give back to them,
their freedom from pain,their peace and dignity.
May you find some comfort knowing your pet is now at peace.

Finster101
04-12-2013, 08:03 PM
Thank you. I am sorry for your loss. I do understand about the "special" ones. Finster (Baby Faced Finster) is buried in the back yard. It's been 8 years and I still think of him often, hence my screen name. I'm sorry for your loss but, I'm happy you had a good friend those 17 years.

James

Matt_G
04-12-2013, 08:47 PM
Scott, I am so sorry to hear this.
Been there myself, several times.
Bawled like a baby every single time.
Hang in there...

rockrat
04-12-2013, 08:59 PM
Still remember my Cocker Spaniel from when I was a kid/teen. Been gone almost 40 years. Wife had a mixed-breed that was almost as smart as my CS. He has been gone almost 20 years. He was only 6 years old. Cancer.

Sad days when we bury our 4 legged friends.

Remember the good and they will live forever with you.

gbrown
04-12-2013, 09:14 PM
Lost more than I care to remember. Loved them all, they loved me back. My present friend is a Heinz 57. Bassett, Pit Bull, Labrador, shows mostly Lab features. Really a sweet guy. He loves everyone, and they love him back. Tries to act like the biggest, baddest dog on the block, but would probably lick you to death, as opposed to biting you. A real sweetie.

lovedogs
04-12-2013, 09:32 PM
Been there several times myself and anyone else who has traveled that road knows how it hurts. The beloved people in our lives are precious for sure but there's no love as faithful as a dog (my opinion). Our families may at times hold something over us, cause us misery by their unforgiving ways...but dogs (and maybe other pets) never judge or hold grudges. They love us unconditionally. And if we are anywhere as good as they are we reciprocate. I've gone through the heart break twice before. We just lost our 22 yr. old cat. We have our last pet, a wonderful Border Collie, who turned 12 yrs. yesterday. At our age we won't have any more pets when she goes as we'd hate to have one outlive us and suffer that loss. Our hearts go out to anyone who loses a beloved pet.

Cactus Farmer
04-12-2013, 09:35 PM
I just last week had to put my Barney down. He was only 12 and had a nerve disorder. Finally couldn't walk. Yep, I still get weepy when I think about our years together. 80 pounds of red hair,black tounge and saber tooth cat teeth. Would destroy a treat but never bit anyone, but he would make you think about it............I will see him again...........

10-x
04-12-2013, 09:52 PM
Sorry for your loss. Have our 2nd Greyhound now as our 1st has been gone over 2 years. Had her cremated, her ashes are in a wooden box on our mantle. IIRC, W.C Fields once said, "Never trust a man who doesn't like dogs". Mans best friend.

Randy C
04-12-2013, 10:10 PM
I too have lost more than I care to remember, I have been there for all of them at there passing. Sorry for your loss It is a special thing to be there for them I feel they were always there for us.

Dean D.
04-12-2013, 10:27 PM
Sorry to hear of your loss Scott. Been down that road recently numerous times and I can empathize with how you feel right now. It's never easy, especially when they are so close. Take care my friend.

dragonrider
04-12-2013, 10:33 PM
Sorry about your lost pet, sounds like she was a real treasure.

Buzz64
04-12-2013, 11:00 PM
Sorry for your loss...nothing can make it better...other than the memories.

gray wolf
04-13-2013, 09:33 AM
I truly understand your loss, The love of a dog is hard to replace.

4719dave
04-13-2013, 09:44 AM
Well,haveing lost my best friend of 14 years a 1 1/2 ago ....Raven best lab ever ...i feel for your loss .Still brings tears .Her ashes are in the safe and when i go were to be put in the woods together under my fav tree stand ....

RobS
04-13-2013, 09:49 AM
Post brought tears to my eyes. We lost our Lab this year and I still have a hard time with the loss. He had been with my wife and I from our beginning, over 13 years, and was there for our two kids; he broke the mold that's for sure. They do bring a friendship that is unconditional.

Geraldo
04-13-2013, 10:06 AM
My condolences, shooter93. You pick a dog, or a dog picks you and you know how it will end, but still you do it. The time they're with you is worth the eventual pain of loss. Hang in there, and get yourself another dog.

fouronesix
04-13-2013, 11:50 AM
All the posts here are so well put. Had to put down my last one in 2002 after 16 years of faithful companionship. Still haven't got the courage to get another, so I seek out those of friends or just passing acquaintances to pet, say nice things to or try to spoil if I can. They are all unique and honest to a fault, something I can't say about many two-legged critters.

Lloyd Smale
04-14-2013, 07:06 AM
sorry for your loss. I dont know how ill possibly handle it when the dog i have know goes.

shooter2
04-14-2013, 12:01 PM
You have my sympathy. We've lost a number over the years and I still get a little teary eyed when I think of them. Scripture says that heaven will provide us with everything we need to bring joy. I've made my wishes known to God that I expect all my buddies to be waiting for me when I get there.

DCP
04-14-2013, 04:49 PM
Sorry for your loss

Dogs leave paw prints in our hearts and in our homes

Bullet Caster
04-15-2013, 12:32 AM
As I sit here teary eyed, remembering my beloved Lucy, a collie rescue, my heart goes out to you, Scott. Non pet owners just don't know the joy of our furry friends. Dogs ARE man's best friend; they're loyal and trustworthy and give unconditional love. All they want in return is to be loved and petted, of course. Just remember that all dogs go to heaven.

We now have 6 dogs, all rescues. My wife's Catahoola Leapord is nearly 10 yrs. old now and is really showing white around his face. I just hope he can stay around a few years more. BC

ga41
04-16-2013, 08:20 AM
My cocker is 10, it will break my heart when he Crosses over. I am praying for the rapture before then. Lost a green wing Macaw in 2011, she was only 7.... she was "my girl". Have sent many on ahead of me over the years, it gets tougher every time. So sorry for loss.