PDA

View Full Version : Getting back into reloading

Tamitch
04-12-2013, 06:01 PM
I'm getting back into reloading after I retired. Should I wait and buy new or try to buy used equipment after the dust settles? I will be reloading only pistol, 44 mag, 45 auto rim.

jmort
04-12-2013, 06:30 PM
I would wait - either way, new will be back in stock and used prices will come back down. You can back order most anything on Midway USA now for a reasonable price, and one day, a few weeks/months from now, the "box" will arrive.

dbosman
04-12-2013, 06:40 PM
Wait, read, watch this site for deals as the people are Great!
Read, read some more, and pick things up slowly as you find deals.
Depending on where you are and what you're reloading, primers and powder are the most difficult to come by.
good luck.

km101
04-12-2013, 06:44 PM
I would wait - either way, new will be back in stock and used prices will come back down. You can back order most anything on Midway USA now for a reasonable price, and one day, a few weeks/months from now, the "box" will arrive.

Good advice! And you can keep an eye out for things you will need and get an idea of what is "new and improved" since you quit reloading. Many of the old standby products haven't changed, but there are lots of new products to check out. You can acquire some of the accessories a little at a time, especially brass, as you find a bargain.

Tamitch
04-13-2013, 02:38 AM
I'll be shooting 100/200 rds each every week or so maybe more maybe less. Any sugestions on on what press I should look for?

Tamitch
04-13-2013, 02:49 AM
I will be reloading only pistol, 44 mag, 45 auto rim. I'll be shooting 100/200 rds each every week or so maybe more maybe less. Any sugestions on on what press I should look for?

Kull
04-13-2013, 03:19 AM
Definitely wait. Seems to me reloading components are even harder to find at the moment than loaded ammo. It's really bad. I can only imagine trying to start reloading right now would be a serious lesson on the meaning of frustration. Wait, do all your research on what press you think you might want to buy and put together a list of the other stuff you will need. Dies, scale, calipers, etc. Figure out how much you want to spend, and don't go into it thinking your going to save money. You'll probably just shoot more.