PDA

View Full Version : Midway Primer Stocks and Availability

BruceB
08-30-2007, 04:52 PM
Finding myself with only a thousand or so CCI #34 primers, and local suppliers unable to locate same, I checked Midway's website.

Of all their normal range of large Rifle primers, they now have "available" only:

-CCI Bench Rest 2,

-Federal 210,

-and Wolf large rifle.

NO Remingtons, NO Winchesters, no types other than the few listed above, and all the non-availables have the "no backorder" notation.

Might be worth taking some action, even if it's only buying a few hundred of whatever you usually use (and can find RIGHT NOW). Don't forget that, for our cast-bullet purposes, Large Pistol primers can be very useful indeed, in place of the Large Rifle types.

I think I'll take a little jaunt downtown my ownself.

Nueces
08-30-2007, 10:36 PM
Guys, check out Natchez Shooter's Supplies and Lock, Stock & Barrel. I've just ordered Winchester primers from both.

www.natchezss.com

www.lockstock.com (better prices)

Good Hunting!

Mark

charlie3tuna
08-31-2007, 12:00 AM
BruceB,

Wideners has CCI #34's.

charlie

BD
08-31-2007, 07:34 AM
Powder Valley has primers, and at good prices. I just ordered Federals from them.
BD

Hip's Ax
08-31-2007, 08:03 AM
CCI #34's at $70 per 5000 can't be beat.

http://www.wideners.com/itemdetail.cfm?item_id=249&dir=278|284|316

Dale53
08-31-2007, 09:01 AM
BD;
I want to thank you for posting this information. My regular suppliers are OUT of primers and so is everyone I have checked out.

Powder Valley shows "in stock". Let's hope that they are[smilie=1:

I ordered enough to keep me going for a good while.

Their prices are quite good, also.

Dale53

VTDW
08-31-2007, 09:01 AM
Powder Valley has primers, and at good prices. I just ordered Federals from them.
BD

I love Powder Valley!!!:drinks:

NVcurmudgeon
08-31-2007, 11:44 AM
Assessing the supply of primers by checking Midway's stock might give one false information. Midway has, IMO, long defied the ancient sales advice, "you can't sell out of an empty wagon." They have built a very successful business on what is apparently a nearly empty warehouse and overwhelming advertising. Larry Potterfield is, again IMO, the king of back orders and multiple shipping charges.

9.3X62AL
08-31-2007, 01:00 PM
If this "primer shortage" is anything like the previous one in 1998-99, it is (my opinion) 20% ammo run-up by the using services--60% panic-buying stripping the shelves--and 20% jobber/wholesaler/retail haymaking. Everybody imitates the oil companies. The price gouging in metals and primers is real--how genuine the "shortage", remains to be seen.

MGySgt
08-31-2007, 09:15 PM
Been reading some interesting news stories on Police departments having to back off on their weapons training as they are haveing a hard time ordering .223 and .40's.

I can understand the .223's but not the 40's.

A friend of mine in TX said they were having problems getting primers down there. I went out that weekend and bought 10,000 LP and 6,000 LR. No problems at all. Local stores.

I think the primers are area dependent. Here in VA and PA (TNT reloading) there does not seem to be a problem.

Drew

Dale53
08-31-2007, 10:04 PM
VTDW;
Thanks to you I have a couple of years supply of primers on the way at the best prices I have seen anywhere. I can normally get them locally wholesale (I prefer Federals) but not only were they high
in price, they didn't have any:( .

Not long after I completed my order, a friend got online and Powder Valley was "Out of Stock" on Large Pistol Federals. However, they seem to have several other brands in stock.

There is no doubt that we have a shortage from most suppliers that I am familiar with. Whether it becomes a long term thing or not, I can't say. I will say that I will NOT be out of shooting because I didn't act[smilie=1:.

Dale53

LiquidLead
09-01-2007, 01:25 AM
I have been watching the availibity of ammo and components on the Internet for a couple of years now. 18 months ago, a Google search of "ammo shortage" would bring a few of what I call "actual hits" , but they were all pertaining to articles at least 2 years old. Now, you can get almost 3/4 million hits. I did not go past page 10, but on page 10, they were actual hits of current articles.

Also followed as many dealer sites as I could find, checking on their supply. I have seen a steady decline at many sites and a consistantly good supply of a very few. Midway has been a suprise. I did not expect them to go down and just stay there. I have wondered why, and, what was their relationship with their suppliers. I just kinda figured they were a big enough customer, that their suppliers would try and keep them stocked. :confused:

Personally, I am getting a bit concerened about the whole thing. Small Rifle and Small Pistol seem to be dissapearing first. Large Pistol and Large Rifle are following closely. Small Pistol Mag is not consistant in its shortage. Some places it is, some not. Early this AM, I ordered 1k each of the 5 primers I use. That was all I could afford, and would have bought a few more. I also love Powder Valley. Locating things on their website is fast and easy. Plus, they had everything I needed. I did notice that there were a few brands of certain primers, they showed to be out of stock.

For now, I am going to buy a few primers each month. It would be nice to be able to support my one and only local dealer, but at $33 per 1k locally, compared to $19-$21 per 1k from Powder Valley, guess who wins? Besides, I would wipe him out and the guys that buy 100 primers at a time wouldnt have any.

Jbullets are really running low, in some places now. I hate to admit it, but I have to use them in one of my auto loader rifles. :oops:

Hope this is a temporary situation, but it sure doesn't look that way. It really makes me appreciate this group and the ability to reload. There is no way I could afford to shoot any longer, with the price of factory ammo going nuts.

Mike

Dale53
09-01-2007, 09:15 AM
LIquidLead;
That is a good report and mirrors my experience.

One thing that puzzles me just a bit about the "average" shooter. I belong to a local club of 650 members. There are VERY few of us that reload much less cast our own bullets. I cannot imagine not reloading and casting bullets. The way it is with me casting my own bullets and reloading I NEVER limit my shooting because of ammo costs. I don't have to. You had better believe if I was using factory ammo how much I would have to limit my shooting.

Yes, I also, am pleased and proud to be a member in good standing (I hope:mrgreen:) of this fine bunch of people.

Dale53

Jim
09-01-2007, 03:16 PM
Just got back from Sportsman's Warehouse. They had 4 boxes of Magtech LP primers. Seein' as that's all they had in LPs, I bought 2 boxes. I haven't seen LPs in over a month and was wondering what I wuz gonna do. Whew!!

Ron
09-02-2007, 03:14 AM
Two months ago I bought 5K PMC SP primers for AUD$30.00 per thousand, about US$23.00 Last Friday I bought the same primers from another source at AUD$40.00 per thousand, USA$32.00

Roumor has it that PMC will not be selling in the Aus. market in the future because it "is too small". This and the other reasons floating around the USA seems to have the unwelcomed effect of increasing all manufacturers prices.

BruceB
09-02-2007, 09:41 AM
When I started this thread, it was intended simply as a friendly heads-up. I have never had a backorder situation with Midway, and thought the current primer stock to be worthy of notice.

The thread has mutated somewhat, as so many do....certainly, not a problem.

Here is some more info, both for those who may want to take some action, and for those who may believe that a "situation" doesn't exist.

Midway:

-Out of 31 listed primer types, 30 are out of stock, no backorder.

Widener's:

-CCI Large Rifle, out of five types/packages listed, three are out of stock.

-Federal Large Rifle, four out of four types are out of stock

-Remington Large Rifle, ALL are out of stock

-Winchester Large Rifle, one of two are out of stock

Powder Valley:

CCI 200 is out of stock, and 250s are in low stock.

I do not believe that I'm 'crying wolf'.

redbear705
09-02-2007, 04:08 PM
BD

Would you have a link?

JR

LiquidLead
09-02-2007, 11:21 PM
Would you have a link?

JR

http://www.powdervalleyinc.com/

Mike