PDA

View Full Version : Lee Pro 1000's

Gliden07
04-12-2013, 03:16 PM
I might have the chance to get 3 well used Pro 1000's. Some are missing parts and all need a good cleaning and maybe rebuilding. What would they be worth to buy?? They need some small parts the primer trays and the covers for the older powder measures (the ones with the heavy spring and disk measures) maybe a few nuts and bolts? A quick look they seemed pretty complete.

troyboy
04-12-2013, 04:38 PM
As long as the shellplates and turrets are there, 75$ each.

DxieLandMan
04-12-2013, 04:39 PM
You can always send them back to Lee with 1/2 of what a new one will cost and they will repair it.

Egturbo02
04-12-2013, 04:43 PM
If they comes with the die set then $75 sounds right

r1kk1
04-12-2013, 10:52 PM
You can always send them back to Lee with 1/2 of what a new one will cost and they will repair it.

http://leeprecision.com/reloading-presses/progressive-presses/pro-1000/

If Lee goes by their website price, half of that would be 125.00. That really seems expensive.

Take care

r1kk1

JIMinPHX
04-12-2013, 11:56 PM
If they are well worn, no more than $50

JonB_in_Glencoe
04-12-2013, 11:56 PM
I just started looking for a pro 1000

Everyone is out of stock.

Ebay prices are crazy...pro 1000 with 9mm setup...buy it now $369.99
http://www.ebay.com/itm/LEE-PRO-1000-PROGRESSIVE-9MM-LUGER-KIT-NEW-BOX-/300887744313?_trksid=p2047675.m1850&_trkparms=aid%3D222002%26algo%3DSIC.FIT%26ao%3D1%2 6asc%3D11%26meid%3D6924424438964926569%26pid%3D100 011%26prg%3D1005%26rk%3D2%26sd%3D190816391306%26

I was at a "store" on wednesday...they had a three pro 1000's in on the shelf...I didn't look at the caliber, but the price was 199.99

when Natchez has them in stock, they go for $159.99 That's the best price I've found for NEW with a die set and shell holder.

Hope that helps,
Jon

nhrifle
04-13-2013, 12:01 AM
I have a PRO 1000 set up for 9mm and 40 S&W. Works pretty well except for the priming system. I checked it, tweaked it, couldn't get it to work and gave up on it. I prime on the single stage, then run through the normal sizing/belling/seating steps with the decapping stem removed from the sizing die. Works well that way.

HangFireW8
04-13-2013, 12:39 AM
Lee parts are very reasonably priced, as long as the major components are there.

HF

Gliden07
04-13-2013, 08:13 AM
I have a Pro 1000 set up for 45ACP I had to tweak mine too. It works GREAT now!! I didn't buy it though it was givin to me! So I figured I would ask these were at a LGS. I think I'll make him an offer?

DLCTEX
04-14-2013, 02:42 PM
If Lee has fixed the priming on Pro 1000 as well as they have the ones on the Loadmaster, then I would have no problem trying one again.

Springfield0612
04-16-2013, 02:42 PM
I bought a used one here local with all parts, feeder tubes with small feeder, small primer, #19 shell plate and carrier, 3 separate die sets, powder disk pro, 2k large rifle primers, 600 Small pistol primers, and some other extras. I paid $200 I sold all the extra rifle primers local and 2 of the die sets on eBay, paid off the $200 for the press with that money and still had money left to cover the #2 shell plate carrier and Large case feeder to set it up for .45 ACP, and still have money left over!

Buy three, sell one, take the money to rebuild and buy extra goodies for the two you keep. Lee Precision has spare parts, if they are out check out FSreloading, they have parts that Lee doesn't carry anymore. The 1000 can be finicky but if you know how to treat it right it's a good working press that will last a long time.

The cabelas here in WA has had Lee Pro 1000 in .38 special, .45 ACP, .223, and 9mm the last 3 times I've gone in for their normal MSRP of $199. Add my 5% military discount and re-sell on ebay? Hmm...

I've got a link to another firearm forum site that has "tweaks" for the Lee Pro 1000 if anyone is interested, a lot of good info just like this site!

bhop
05-02-2013, 03:16 AM
id like the link please

knifemaker
05-02-2013, 05:08 AM
I would save up my money and buy Dillion. That lee progressive has way too many quirks that need to be fixed and the primer system is a major problem. I have know at lease 4-5 persons that bought the Lee and got rid of them within 6 months and went with Dillion. I know a few of you guys seem to love them, but they are not for anyone that may have problems with doing some fine tweaking to get them to work.

Lloyd Smale
05-02-2013, 06:35 AM
maybe if he gave me 50 bucks each to take them. That way i could afford some extra blood pressure meds.

1bluehorse
05-02-2013, 10:26 PM
Hafta agree with Lloyd on this one.....the same for the Loadmasters...if you think Lee has the primer issues "fixed" saunter on over to the Loadmaster zone, mention you have a surefire "fix" for the primer system and see how many hits you get for information and or buying your "fix"....I've had three, wanted to like them, got them to work pretty well, but you never knew when the da$# things were gonna implode....might goes weeks, months, well maybe not months, but awhile with everthing just zippin right along, then kachink, or may be everytime you try to use it...to much for me...to bad to, simple design, easy to work on (thank god) but not quite there...

bgoff_ak
05-02-2013, 10:54 PM
I have two of them ( 45 / 44 ) I don't prime on them, because it just never worked... I will say they seem to have work as well as the others i have tried ( the L&L ) but if i ever walked away from my lee every thing seemed to goto hell... suppose it depends on how many rounds you want to kick out, if you’re doing one session a month it may be worth it. also lee has many parts in-stock for warranty IE I just sent them back a 45 mold that has been out of stock 3+ months ( or more ) and with in two days they turned around a new one. . . ( can't say enough good things about them, at least their service, but I suspect they get a lot of practice. )

Coonazz
05-02-2013, 11:49 PM
I would save up my money and buy Dillion.

+1 on that for sure! Dillon by far is the best progressive with the warranty and customer service that is second to none. I have 2 550's, one bought new and one used. The used one broke about 8 years ago and after talking with D.P. they said to just send it back. To add to that, my tumbler broke(have had it since 95, IIRC) and was told the same thing. Very nice people to deal with.

blikseme300
05-03-2013, 02:38 PM
Didn't take long for this thread to turn into a Lee bashing exercise. :neutral: I own and sometimes still use my 1000's for short runs as they do have their place and yes they do need tweaking and this is not for everybody. Yes, I do own and operate the blue and other red equipment as well. They all have their pros and cons but his does not matter to the targets at the range.

To answer the OP's question I would say $50-75 each sounds about right. Price could be higher because of the high demand during this current shortage.

Coonazz
05-03-2013, 05:12 PM
Not bashing Lee products. When they do something right, it is usually a very useful and quality tool; their collet neck dies and the FCD are prime examples. Lee is kinda like hit or miss..... I just happen to use more items from RCBS, Redding and Dillon on a more regular basis.

wallenba
05-04-2013, 09:26 PM
My old one will always have a place on the bench. I have just one die in it, a Lee universal decapper. When I get back from an outing, first thing I do is swap out the carrier for the right caliber carrier, dump the brass in the case collator and deprime. It's the fastest and easiest way.

abunaitoo
05-04-2013, 09:48 PM
I've used it for a long time.
45acp, 9mm, .30 carbine, .223.
Gave-up on the priming system from about the third time I used it.
I deprime, clean, prime, then load on the 1000.
There are other progressives that are much better, but for the price, you can't beat the 1000.

Lloyd Smale
05-05-2013, 06:52 AM
personaly cant see bothering with a progressive that you have to take the case off to prime it. might as well go with a turent press with a primer arm. Am I a lee basher well yes and no. I think there progressive presses are a big waste of money that suckers way to many unknowing reloaders into plucking down a couple hundred bucks for a *** because they think there going to save a couple hundred bucks when in fact they get frustrated dump them and spend the money for a good one anyway. I also think lee makes some very useful things. Like there priming tool, there dies, and there trimming tools. What i hate the most is there arogance. I called there back when i had a pro 1000 and promaster for some advice and had the nerve to suggest they change a few things and was told they allready produce the best quality progressive press on the market and do it for half what the others charged. I laughed and asked them what model that was as ive never seen one that fit that description and was hung up on ;) Same thing happened with there bullet molds. I was on the phone with them one day and suggested that they start cutting some of the group buy molds for standard production molds as some of there designs wernt near as good of bullets. They told me flat out that they chuckle at the designs weve sent them. THey said they allready have the best line of bullet molds and the best designs possible. They said they have been proven designs that have stood the test of time. If you doubt these responses try it yourself. Just give them a call and tell them that there primer feed design sucks and see what they tell you.

Moonie
05-06-2013, 11:28 AM
personaly cant see bothering with a progressive that you have to take the case off to prime it. might as well go with a turent press with a primer arm. Am I a lee basher well yes and no. I think there progressive presses are a big waste of money that suckers way to many unknowing reloaders into plucking down a couple hundred bucks for a *** because they think there going to save a couple hundred bucks when in fact they get frustrated dump them and spend the money for a good one anyway. I also think lee makes some very useful things. Like there priming tool, there dies, and there trimming tools. What i hate the most is there arogance. I called there back when i had a pro 1000 and promaster for some advice and had the nerve to suggest they change a few things and was told they allready produce the best quality progressive press on the market and do it for half what the others charged. I laughed and asked them what model that was as ive never seen one that fit that description and was hung up on ;) Same thing happened with there bullet molds. I was on the phone with them one day and suggested that they start cutting some of the group buy molds for standard production molds as some of there designs wernt near as good of bullets. They told me flat out that they chuckle at the designs weve sent them. THey said they allready have the best line of bullet molds and the best designs possible. They said they have been proven designs that have stood the test of time. If you doubt these responses try it yourself. Just give them a call and tell them that there primer feed design sucks and see what they tell you.

But they listened and have changed it several times, the newest primer feed on my Loadmaster (don't know what a promaster is) works great, I've loaded hundreds of 300 AAC Blackout rounds with it with no issues. My Pro1000 doesn't even hicup on 45's, either ACP or Colt, I load both on it.

I do agree that the priming system on the Loadmaster was problematic at best and dangerous at worst before the last update. I've had primers blow, even a chain reaction once, but Lee listened and fixed the issue.

The Lee progressives aren't for everyone, but mine do what I want, when I want and at a price I am happy to pay.

TES
05-06-2013, 11:43 AM
Well going from a lee classic at 20 RPH to the lee pro 1000 is heaven. If you want an expensive press that is flawless the lee pro is not it. Does it do a good job for me as compared to what I was loading with....yup. My second one is showing up today.

hermans
05-07-2013, 03:19 PM
I agree 100% with knifemaker, life is too short man! Get a Dillon, will last a lifetime, and if it does gives any problems, which is rare, they will sort it, free of charge, every time.

AggieEE
05-07-2013, 03:54 PM
nhrifle; I also have a 1000 in 9mm and 40s&w and also had problems with the primer feed. Take the primer "chute" apart, it just snaps together, put some moly powder in the grove and polish in with a q-tip on both halves. works better but not perfect, tap the primer tray about every 5 rounds or so as the primers bridge in the tray. I can't afford a Dillon so my choices are a single stage or the lee. For a large volume the lee works if you don't try to set a speed record and pay attention.
AggieEE

1bluehorse
05-08-2013, 01:03 PM
[QUOTE=blikseme300;2199766]Didn't take long for this thread to turn into a Lee bashing exercise. :neutral:

I wouldn't consider my remarks as necessarily "Lee Bashing", just the Lee progressive presses..that's about the only Lee Equipment I consider "bad quality"..and yes I've owned them.. the only redeeming feature they have is a price point...after that nada..a person doesn't have to spring for the expensive Dillon offerings or even the Hornady's..there are plenty of less expensive older model progressive presses (well maybe not right now) on the market...mine are discontinued RCBS models (evidently they weren't highly prized either) and after changing the original stupid case activated powder drop system, affectionatly (ha...) called the "swinging pendulum of death" to the new linkage system I'm quite happy with them....way better than the "other two" mentioned above...but I digress, for the three Pro 1000 presses, I wouldn't pay more than 150 for all three...and that's only if they were pretty much complete...in conjunction with my "Lee Bashing" I will say I had fewer problems with the Pro model than I ever did with the LM.............YMMV...but I doubt it..

GOPHER SLAYER
05-08-2013, 04:02 PM
Gliden07, I would not let the Pro1000 come my way for free. I did once and I never could get the primer system to work. Without going into details, I can say that I am very could at repairing things mechanical. I have gone into this on the same subject before. It has been pointed out before that a progressive reloader that will not prime isn't very progressive. Pass on the offer.

tbl-leo
05-09-2013, 01:02 AM
As a rookie in reloading, I bought a Lee Pro 1000 to get me started. Now I wish I would have done the research a bit more because I do not use the priming system on it anymore. I have tried every tip/trick out there, but it continues to have problems. Like someone already mentioned here, I hand prime all my loads and then use the press.

+1 to save for Dillon

JSH
05-09-2013, 01:35 AM
I won't bash any of them. I have either owned or operated all mentioned presses and then some. The major downfall to ALL of them is the priming system. I have tried x brand of primer like I was told to and still had issues. Sent things back adjusted things etc still issues.
I still have a dillon sd, rock chucker and three Hornady progressives before the lnl. I trade a train wreck of a 550 for two complete hornadys with several sets of dies and shell plates.
The only one I use as a true progressive is the Dillon SD. Match ammo I just do not like the priming system on any of them.
Powder measures if you use nothing but ball powders you won't have many problems. Stick powders are another thing
I wanted/needed a 5th die opening this the Hornadys. As I couldn't afford that many 650's.
jeff

Gliden07
05-29-2013, 12:39 AM
Well I offered him $125.00 for all 3 he balked at it and told me $200 bucks. He told me the dies alone were worth the price! There was a .38/357 a 44 and 9MM they were all the older non carbide type dies. Told him he could keep the dies and I'd still give him the $125, he asked me what he was gonna do with just the dies, "Jokingly" told him he could sell um for $200 bucks!! Then he got real smug (had a couple of his buddies there) so I passed on all of it. Don't really need them I have a Pro1000 set up for 45ACP and a Hornady LNL setup for 9MM gonna get setup for 223/556 on the Hornady one of these days, and I have the setup for the PRO1000 for 38/357 (all the calibers I shoot) so for now I'm set. Just figured I could rehab them sell 1 or 2 and set the other up for the 223/556 and buy more STUFF!! Both my machines work pretty good but I have had issues with both. LNL has been mainly due to 9MM cases with swaged primer pockets couldn't fully seat primer without deforming it (not loaders fault) which jams the shell plate. The PRO1000 has been some primer feed problems (mainly my fault not keep enough in feed tray) but I'v had problems when I get a rhythm going the case bounces on the pot metal and jams between the shell plate carrier and the upper frame crushing or tearing the case. I just slow down and can load a couple hundred an hour with no problems.

35remington
05-29-2013, 11:41 PM
I've haven't had any real issues with the Lee priming system on the 1000 as long as I never let the feed trough get below 2/3 full. It is the weight of the primers above that feeds the primer on the priming punch, and as long as this little detail is taken care of it has worked fine.

User since 1986.

44Vaquero
05-29-2013, 11:54 PM
I do not own a 1000, but I have rebuilt several for friends of mine who liberated them from ham handed owners. They were always 100% when they left my bench. 35 is right about the primer feed, and keep them clean and adjusted. Always remember work the handle stop to stop and do not try to go too fast, speed will come with consistent operation.

Vinne
05-30-2013, 05:57 AM
That's right...slow and easy beats out fast with the 1000. Once I have the press set, I can crank out thousands with very few jams which are mainly my fault. Now the Load Master on the other hand...why oh why did they change the priming setup????