PDA

View Full Version : 22 lbs recoil spring?

makicjf
04-12-2013, 09:49 AM
I have a load which I use when I carry my little birdshead vaquero chambered in 45 acp. Its a lee 252 swc sized to .452 ac ( weighs about 255-256 checked and lubed w/ lla from straight ww). I have been loading over 5.8 of unique, seated to 1.195 with a taper crimp to .470. I dropped the charge down from 6.1 until poa matched poi in the vaquero. It actually matches the start load in speer #12 for the 260 grain jacketed round. My best guess is its somewhere between 775 and 800 fps ( no chrono). It cycles like a dream through my RIA full size 1911 ( which I carry sometimes as well), though it prints a bit low. My question is should I use a heavier recoil spring? I am tempted to raise the charge .2 and see if poi comes up. This would be within the load listed in speer #12, but I do not want to batter the 1911. I prefer the heavy bullets, but shoot some stouter ruger only loads often and am a poor judge of actual recoil. My perception of recoil seems to be less than others: what feels easy to me my not be so easy on the pistol. It actually feels like a 230 fmj factory load to me. Should I beef up the spring if I shoot these very often? especially considering I may raise the charge .2 grains?
Thanks!
Jason

littlejack
04-12-2013, 10:40 AM
Actually Jason, if you increase the powder charge by .2 grains, theoretically the POI should be lower. The boolit will be in the barrel for a shorter period of time (higher velocity) thus, it will get out quicker before the barrel has time to rise higher.
As for the heavy boolits, I would not load to a heavier pressure than what is stated in the Speer #12 manual with the 260 grain jacketed bullet, or the equivalent with your cast boolit.
The heavier spring will batter your pistol when the slide is returning BACK (forward) into battery.
Regards
Jack

bobthenailer
04-12-2013, 10:40 AM
The supposed correct recoil spring rate is 16lb with a 22/23lb hammer spring in a 5 inch 1911 with 230 gr hard ball ammo. you might want to try a 18.5 lb spring , you will have to check the functioning of the gun but im guessing a 18.5 will be fine ! unless you have reduced power hammer springs installed or you have a lightened slide. then you may need a 20lb spring?
I have Wolffs 1911 recoil spring calibration pack with springs from 5 to 22 lbs and have never used the 20 or 22 lb spring in the 45 acp or 38 super or 9mm with any loads even hot bowling pin loads in the 45 acp. i belive the 20 and 22 lb springs are for the 10mm in a 5 inch 1911.

makicjf
04-12-2013, 10:57 AM
I was confused by the poi dropping in the vaquero when I backed the charge down : It had shot higher at 6 . My guess is the added ooomph made the birdshead roll in my hand more . Backing the charge down a touch lessened the recoil affect thus lowered the impact. The speer manual shows 260 jacketed ftrom 5.8 to 6.2. I will stay at 6.0 or below as I can't get the oal of 1.2 and taper onto the front band. I *think* the lee 452 swc is a bit shorter than the speer 260, but I,m not going to guess. 1.195 is as long as i can go and taper crimp onto the front band. so being shorter than listed I won't go to max for the vaquero or the 1911. When I was shooting them from my blackhawk with the 45 acp cylinder I did load 6.2, but decided the 45 colt cylinder gave me more for less in that platform and 250 or higher boolit weights. I have not modified anything on the 1911, so it is factory set. I'll pick up an 18.5 and 20 lbs wolf spring. What are signs of not enough resistance? to much? The brass is shucking right at 3;30 and about 8-10 feet. I can hear the slide hit the stop , which I do not appreciate with the lee 230 tc or 200 swc , both loaded over 5.8 of unique. both of these loads shoot the brass same postion about 6-8 feet. Ordered a 18.5 and a 20. I think I have a 22 at home know that I think about it. I don"t know why its there!
Jason

gunfan
04-12-2013, 09:24 PM
The supposed correct recoil spring rate is 16lb with a 22/23lb hammer spring in a 5 inch 1911 with 230 gr hard ball ammo. you might want to try a 18.5 lb spring , you will have to check the functioning of the gun but im guessing a 18.5 will be fine ! unless you have reduced power hammer springs installed or you have a lightened slide. then you may need a 20lb spring?
I have Wolffs 1911 recoil spring calibration pack with springs from 5 to 22 lbs and have never used the 20 or 22 lb spring in the 45 acp or 38 super or 9mm with any loads even hot bowling pin loads in the 45 acp. i belive the 20 and 22 lb springs are for the 10mm in a 5 inch 1911.

If you want to shoot a heavier load in the 10mm, it's best to use a heavier hammer spring (mainspring) along with a flat-bottomed firing pin spring retainer. This will help avoid frame battering with stout ammunition.

Scott