PDA

View Full Version : White Label BAC or 2500+ lube?

GrizzLeeBear
08-30-2007, 11:04 AM
I have an older (Ideal) 358477 mold that shoots great in my GP-100 but I don't like the mess that the Javelina (50/50) lube makes while lube/sizing and loading. This is the older version of this bullet with the larger rounded lube groove. While the big groove is good for carrying lots of lube, the size and round shape don't hold on to it very well. I'm thinking a little stiffer lube would work better, but I don't have a heater on my Lyman 450. Both BAC and 2500+ say they don't need a heater. I like the idea of the BAC with the Carnuba Red in it. Anyone have experience with these? Do they work well without a heater?

44man
08-30-2007, 11:56 AM
I have two favorite lubes because there are others like Bullshops that I haven't had money for yet but Lar's Carnauba red is one and Felix is the other.
What you have to think about is that a good lube for handguns is MESSY. I get lube in dies and on cases and have a pile of rags full of it. I get it on the bench and everywhere else.
I would not change for anything because of the accuracy I get!
If you change oil and grease your own vehicle, do you do it in a white dress shirt and tie? Are you looking for a clean block of wax to fall out of the engine so you don't get dirty? :mrgreen:
My one friend would never use a cast boolit, he called them grease balls. He just never knew what he was missing.

GrizzLeeBear
08-30-2007, 02:59 PM
44man, I hear you on the accuracy, this bullet is VERY accurate out to 50 yds with the Javelina. I guess I don't mind the mess that much, but the lube not sticking very well is what bothers me most. I'm just thinking the BAC would have the same lubing qualities of the 50/50 plus be a little stiffer/stickier with the Carnuba Red in it. Plus it should work well in higher velocity stuff like my 357 Herrett, 308 rifle, etc.

frank505
08-30-2007, 03:20 PM
I like Carnuba red and Alox 2500. They both work well in sixguns, the Alox needs to sit for a day or two(in hot weather) before you mess with them It will set up and skin over and not stick to each other. Cr doesn't seem to be as sticky but ships very well. BAC is a good combo, kinda sticky until it skins over.

leftiye
08-30-2007, 05:46 PM
Griz, I was reading an advertisement of Lar's this morning on evil bay about these two lubes and the 2500 lube is supposed to be a little harder than BAC but still not need heating. It was also apparent there that this is Lar's preferred lube (my guess, from what he said). A very good accuracy lube too it said. Made me want to try some. I've mixed C-Red with some of Bullshop's Bullplate lube (about 6 to one by weight) to make it softer. I'm lovin it! Probly in the range of softness of 50/50, but not too messy.

Shiloh
08-31-2007, 10:55 AM
I've used both since spring when I heard about them on this forum. :)

The BAC lube is what is currently in the lube-sizer. Both are good lubes. The 2500 is stiffer than the standard 50/50 mix, and is not so sticky. It is also stiffer than the BAC lube. The BAC lube is a good bit stiffer than 50/50 mix but still has a stickiness to it. Both lubes leave a shiny bore. 2500 is stiffer in the Lube-sizer than BAC, but only marginally.

Both run well without a heater. My basement gets a little chilly in winter, so I'll have to see how it runs when cool.

So far I have used both on .30 boolits for the Krag and '03 not a hint of leading but velocities never exceeded 2100. I get better accuracy with both rifles at 1700-1800 fps, currently averaging around 1765.

My sons .30-30 uses BAC it with a Lyman 311041 with accuracy around 1.5" at 50yds at around 1675 fps. I'm convinced that a little tweaking will get better results, but that is not a lube issue.

No problems at all with the .38 Lyman 35891 using BAC, but that boolit runs well just lubing with LLA at the low velocities that I run 'em

No report on the Carnauba Red. I don't use hard lubes and don't have a heater.
There are good reports, but I have no personal experience with it.

http://www.lsstuff.com/lube/index.html

Shiloh :castmine:

GrizzLeeBear
08-31-2007, 01:26 PM
Thanks guys! Decided to get some of the BAC for now since it's a little softer, but still stiffer than 50/50 and a little stickier than +2500 from the sounds of it. Just sent in my order. Will let you know how it works.

Shiloh
08-31-2007, 03:30 PM
I've been happy with his lubes, and you can't beat the price!! He sent me a sample of the Carnauba Red with my last order gratis.

I'll continue using his lube as it works well and I don't hassle with making my own.

Do let us know what you think. I'm sure you'll be pleased.

Shiloh

redbear705
08-31-2007, 04:04 PM
I came up with a cheap way to heat my sizer/luber....I got a piece of 1/2" aluminum 6" wide 12" deep.

Drilled mounting holes for the 450 and tapped them....put white grease on the threads and installed luber.....then spaced the plate off the wood desk with some washers and lag bolted the plate to my desk.

I bought a cheapo iron from wal-greens and use it to heat the plate! cheap heater and have enough room for two lube/sizer at once if I want to......:)

aluminum plate $10.00
Cheap iron $10.00
Misc screws&washers $3.00
Total...................$23.00 about half the price of store bought plus have a mounting plate for two lubers to use both at the same time.....priceless...:)

JR

GrizzLeeBear
09-16-2007, 10:11 PM
Well finally got a chance to shoot some bullets with the BAC lube. I love this stuff! Accuracy is just a good as Javelina. My GP100 always gives me a light grey wash in the barrel with light loads that cleans out easily, but shoots accurately and the BAC gives identical performance. My big surprise though was how well the 358156 lubed with BAC does in my 14" 357 Herrett. With my load this bullet is going around 1800 fps, and other than a few flakes of powder fowling the inside of the barrel looks like a mirror after 45 rounds!
I really like how much cleaner BAC is when sizing and lubing the bullets and when loading the cartridges. No more lube all over everything! Definitely going to be ordering more of this lube!

PPpastordon
09-17-2007, 07:30 PM
When living in Alaska many years ago we found a cheap solution to too thick to run lube. We purchased a clip-on trouble light and put a flood light in it. Quick, efficient, and easy to regulate. 'Bout a buck back then. Not going to be too bad today. Just in case that "Whatever" lube is a little thick!
PPpastordon

testhop
09-28-2007, 05:46 PM
I have an older (Ideal) 358477 mold that shoots great in my GP-100 but I don't like the mess that the Javelina (50/50) lube makes while lube/sizing and loading. This is the older version of this bullet with the larger rounded lube groove. While the big groove is good for carrying lots of lube, the size and round shape don't hold on to it very well. I'm thinking a little stiffer lube would work better, but I don't have a heater on my Lyman 450. Both BAC and 2500+ say they don't need a heater. I like the idea of the BAC with the Carnuba Red in it. Anyone have experience with these? Do they work well without a heater?

HEY GRIZZLEEBEAR
THE BIG PROBUM IS WITH HARD LUBE IS YOU CAN BREAK YOUR SIZER (I DID A STAR)AND IT WAS BECAUSE I WAS USEING HARD LUBE AND START TOLD ME NOTHING COULD BE DONE BUT BUY A NEW SIZER

TESTHOP

garandsrus
09-28-2007, 10:44 PM
GrizzLeeBear,

I also use and like Lars BAC lube. I do preheat it a little though with a hair dryer pointed at the lube sizer.

I also use and like Bullshop lube.

John

GrizzLeeBear
09-29-2007, 11:54 AM
BAC has not been a problem with being too hard so far. It is not a lot stiffer than Javelina. It takes a little more pressure on the sizer screw, but not a lot. My reloading room is in my basement so it stays fairly warm, not like being out in the garage. We'll see how it does this winter when it does tend to get a little cooler in the basement. If it needs some heat, like the others have said, it won't take much.