PDA

View Full Version : Whitney Rolling Block Help Please

FishFan
08-30-2007, 10:32 AM
Hello All,

I have a Whitney Rolling Block carbine being "held" for me at a local gun shop. I have seen a picture on the web of it, but yet to see it in person. According to the description I was given, it is a .50 caliber center-fire with about 23" barrel (I'm thinking they may have included the chamber when measuring the barrel since from what I can tell most Whitney carbines were ~20").

I am hoping it is a .50-70, but I doubt the store will let me cast the chamber so would anyone know what other center-fire 50 calibers were used in Whitney's or info on the Whitney's?

Thanks for your help.

45 2.1
08-30-2007, 10:51 AM
Hello All,

I have a Whitney Rolling Block carbine being "held" for me at a local gun shop. I have seen a picture on the web of it, but yet to see it in person. According to the description I was given, it is a .50 caliber center-fire with about 23" barrel (I'm thinking they may have included the chamber when measuring the barrel since from what I can tell most Whitney carbines were ~20").

I am hoping it is a .50-70, but I doubt the store will let me cast the chamber so would anyone know what other center-fire 50 calibers were used in Whitney's or info on the Whitney's?

Thanks for your help.

I saw a Whitney rolling block in 50-70 at a small gun show about 50 miles above Millwaukee a couple of years ago that looked exactly as you described. I sure wish I would have had the cash for it then. A fine looking piece it was to. Good luck to you.

kodiak1
08-30-2007, 08:03 PM
Fish have you tried to get something on it in google?
Might be your best bet.
Sorry can't tell you more Ken.

Welcome to the sight and enjoy.

FishFan
08-31-2007, 07:53 AM
Ken,

I did Google it and searched all of the gun forums I know about. Nothing so far.

If I get this carbine I want to shoot it, so ammo component availability is my main concern. I will take a chamber cast if I get it, but knowing something before purchasing would be helpful.

At least it is a centerfire and not a rimfire so even if it some odd caliber, chances are that with the right amount of $$$ :shock: I will be able to reload it.

Thanks

floodgate
08-31-2007, 11:57 AM
FishFan:

Croft Barker has written a couple of single-shot restoration and shooting books recently which include quite a bit on the Whitney rolling blocks. I suggest you 'phone him at (361) 865-0030, or e-mail to <katbark@pcguns.net> and/or check <www.cisternpublishing.org>. He may be able to help you identify your carbine and the correct cartridge for it. I really LIKE his writing, and his information looks great to me.

floodgate

FishFan
08-31-2007, 12:18 PM
Floodgate,

Thanks for the information. I have a Rolling Block in .43 Spanish and Croft's book about shooting those rifles was invaluable. I'll contact him.

FF

Buckshot
08-31-2007, 06:09 PM
............Dixie Gunworks had some parts for the Whitney RB.

...........Buckshot

FishFan
09-01-2007, 10:27 AM
Buckshot,

I just checked Dixie and they have a pretty good array of parts.

Thanks for the notice.

FF