PDA

View Full Version : Something For Nothing

KCSO
04-11-2013, 03:35 PM
A while back i found in the trash barrel an old Western knife blade with the handle eaten away and the tang broken. I took it to the shop and put it in the steel bin with the idea that some day the steel might be used for something.

I got to looking at it the other day and said what the heck and welded on a new tang. The i dug in the scrap box and found a cut off chunk of antler and a piece of maple wood and a piece of brass shim stock. Over the next couple days this all went together to make a functional knife from scrap. The blade was regroound and sharpened and the clip point was modified into a straight taper with a good point. The blade was bead blasted and blued to help hide the rust pitting in the blade.

A sheath ws made from a scrap of leather that was left over from hoolster projects and a folded tack studded sheath came together. Although the blade, at 6 inches is a liittle longer that what I prefer for a using knife the fine steel in the blade and the sharp edge it takes makes it a joy to use.

Now as to that something for nothing business, there isn't any money outlay here, but if you start counting work... 6711067111

FrankG
04-11-2013, 03:59 PM
Good Job !! Dont ya just love reclaiming rust ! :smile:

EMC45
04-11-2013, 04:32 PM
Looks great!

John Allen
04-11-2013, 04:33 PM
That antler really makes the knife look great.

geargnasher
04-11-2013, 11:35 PM
Good work!

Gear

KCSO
04-12-2013, 09:12 AM
I'd rather carry a reclaimed knife liike this than the fanciest custom I could make.

gnoahhh
04-12-2013, 09:46 AM
My sentiments exactly! That knife turned out nicely. Now get some blood on it!

(The only thing I would have done differently would have been to add a finger guard. I had my hand slip while gutting a deer once with a knife with no guard. I couldn't tell which was deer blood and which was mine. Small point, and certainly not meant to detract from your knife! I love it!)

Tristan
05-21-2013, 05:29 PM
Outstanding!

I love keeping equipment working. Bringing it back from oblivion is even better!

longusmc
05-21-2013, 08:01 PM
That turned out great!