PDA

View Full Version : Need some barrel slugs.

jarrodl
04-11-2013, 10:17 AM
I am just starting out casting. I have been reading here a few weeks, and have been smelting WW for alloy. I have yet to cast my first bullet. As I understand it, my barrels need to be slugged to get the proper fit. Does anyone have a few lead balls that would be suitable for .45, .30, and a 9mm I could buy? I figure 3 or 4 of each should do. I hate to buy a box of 100 just to use a couple. I would like to pay with paypal if possible.
Thanks
Jarrod

Kraschenbirn
04-11-2013, 10:26 AM
Check your local (fishing) tackle shop for some 'egg' sinkers. These are usually sold in packs of five or ten and are available in many sizes.

Bill

Edubya
04-11-2013, 10:26 AM
Welcome to the forum.
You might want to try http://www.rotometals.com/product-p/chamber_casting_alloy.htm
You don't have to purchase different sizes to get accurate measurement on any size that you have.

EW

Spokerider
04-11-2013, 10:44 AM
Not having any fishing weights on hand..........I just drilled a hole in a piece of 3/4" hardwood, then clamped on a piece of flat bar steel over the bottom of the hole. Melt pure lead and pour it in. Once cool, roll the slug between the flat bar and something flat...like a table saw top or similar. You can make it so it is almost the correct size to slip into the muzzle, and then tap it through and slug away. Remember to lube the bore first.....it slides easier.

BBQJOE
04-11-2013, 10:57 AM
I saw a video where a guy just filled an empty case (with molten lead) of the caliber he was going to slug, and removed the lead from the casing with a bullet puller.
It might work.

Mike W1
04-11-2013, 12:03 PM
I saw a video where a guy just filled an empty case (with molten lead) of the caliber he was going to slug, and removed the lead from the casing with a bullet puller.
It might work.

Tried this one. Drilled the flash hole out for the punch, then used a shell holder to hold the case and tapped out the slug. Once I figured out the shell holder part it worked just fine.

gareth96
04-11-2013, 12:21 PM
Humm.. what about sticking an old drill bit (the round part, not the drill part) in the flash hole when you pour the lead in.. that will give you a puller and give you a hole through the center of the slug.

jarrodl
04-11-2013, 12:25 PM
Not having any fishing weights on hand..........I just drilled a hole in a piece of 3/4" hardwood, then clamped on a piece of flat bar steel over the bottom of the hole. Melt pure lead and pour it in. Once cool, roll the slug between the flat bar and something flat...like a table saw top or similar. You can make it so it is almost the correct size to slip into the muzzle, and then tap it through and slug away. Remember to lube the bore first.....it slides easier.

Thats a good idea. I have some pure lead, I will give that a try. Thanks.
Might try the empty hull thing too except for the .30 cal.

bowfishn
04-11-2013, 12:32 PM
I did not have much luck with slugs they were a bit messy, I found that European Racing Snails seemed to hold there shape better after being driven down the bore. What am I doing something wrong?

Giggidy
04-11-2013, 12:51 PM
It might work.

This was the approach I took. Worked pretty well, though I need to get a micrometer still to get a good measurement off the slugs.

MtGun44
04-11-2013, 04:21 PM
Slugging is OPTIONAL, NOT required.

For 9mm start with .357 or .358, for .45ACP use .452. For .30 cal rifle, use .310 or .311.

Save yourself some time and just load a small batch and TRY IT.

Bill

Muddydogs
04-11-2013, 04:25 PM
This was the approach I took. Worked pretty well, though I need to get a micrometer still to get a good measurement off the slugs.

Do this for your pistol slugs, works great as there is a nice taper in the slug from the web at the primer pocket that makes starting the slug easy. If you pour the case flush the lead will usually cool with a slight depression in the center which helps keep a punch centered on the slug and away from the barrel. A few taps with the bullet puller and you have a nice slug. Keep the cases marked so you don't reload them and you have a slug mold for life.

searcher4851
04-12-2013, 12:05 PM
I just use the egg sinkers from the local tackle shop. Make sure you get the lead ones and not the "non-lead" ones. If they're way too big, I just start a screw into the hole and chuck the screw into my drillpress chuck and use that as a vertical lathe to turn it down to a more appropriate size. I use a file and keep measuring until it gets close enough to the diameter I want.

montana_charlie
04-12-2013, 12:51 PM
I did not have much luck with slugs they were a bit messy, I found that European Racing Snails seemed to hold there shape better after being driven down the bore. What am I doing something wrong?
Don't those racing snails need to have their shells removed?

popper
04-12-2013, 02:46 PM
I agree with mtgun44 - just try them. What is the 30 cal, mine work fine with 310 or 311. The 9mm is more problematic, depending on the mould or CC. Get a chore boy to remove lead until you get it figger'd out.

pt4u2nv
04-12-2013, 03:16 PM
It might work.

That is what I do. Worke great and size is about perfect. For a tighter fit just tap with a hammer a little to make it bigger.

jarrodl
04-15-2013, 10:20 AM
I have a kimber .45 and a lee 230gr rn tl mold. I have a .300 blk and the lee 230 gr blackout mold. I am waiting on my backordered 9mm mold. it is the 124 or 5 tc tl 6 cav lee.

9mm is for a G17 and a RRA 1911 9mm. for the 9mm I just drove an already cast bullet in far enough in the muzzle to get an impression, then drove it back out. It measured between .355-.356 on both guns at the widest point. (I assume that it where you want to measure?)

leadman
04-15-2013, 11:47 AM
With the Blackout just size to .310" if it is over that as cast, if not just lube and shoot. Where you find issues mostly in 30 caliber rifles is with the old military surplus rifles. They can be as large as .313" I have found.
I would size your 9mm to .357" if the chamber is large enough to accept the cartridge and release the boolit when fired. Check this by measuring the inside of a case fired in your gun.
The Kimber should work just fine at .452".

blackthorn
04-16-2013, 12:54 PM
From another post:
Lead sinker sizes for checking gun bores:
Size 10.
For use in .270, 7mm, and .30 Calibers.

Size 9.
For use in .338, .348, 38/.357, and 35 Calibers

Size 8.
For use in .41, .44, .45, and .475 Calibers.

The corresponding weights:
Size 10 - 1/8oz
Size 9 - 1/4oz
Size 8 -3/8oz