PDA

View Full Version : Roof flashing lead - what to do with this roofing tar?

Triggernosis
04-11-2013, 09:56 AM
I've got a couple of pieces of roof vent pipe lead flashing that has a bit of what appears to be roofing tar on it in spots. I tried burning it off with a propane torch, but it doesn't want to burn - the lead melts before it burns off. I've scraped all the big chunks off that I can. Should I smelt this or throw away all the pieces with tar on it?67088

captaint
04-11-2013, 10:00 AM
Smelt that stuff !! Not a problem. You'll see... Just remove what floats to the top. That's great lead. Wish I had a bunch. Mike

docone31
04-11-2013, 10:03 AM
If you throw away all the pieces with tar on it, then you won't have any.
The tar will melt, float to the top, and clump. It will also collect on the bottom of the pot and act as an insulator when melting.
Melt the roof lead, scoop out the floating tar and other crud, and make some ingots!
I use vegetable oil when melting. Stinks, but gets the job done.

walltube
04-11-2013, 10:23 AM
As said above: melt it! Get very scrap you can lay your hands on and make ingots. Given our Nation's current mob of political morons those ingots will one day be like gold to a caster.

Good luck to you,
Wt.

John Boy
04-11-2013, 10:48 AM
A cast iron dutch oven pot and the Harbor Freight 33,000 BTU propane weed torch if you plan to buy scrap lead regularly at the recyclers - NEVER use your casting pot
Crud will float - flux and scrape the dross off, including the tar. Pot will have remaining only pure lead to pour into ingots
This not a big deal to do and works every time - my latest sheet lead find ... 286 lbs

Triggernosis
04-11-2013, 01:02 PM
Thanks, guys. I was hoping y'all would confirm that it will float to the top when smelting. I'll be using a cast iron pot over an old turkey fryer to do all my smelting.

Pepe Ray
04-11-2013, 04:38 PM
Read the STICKIES!!!!!

RayinNH
04-11-2013, 10:12 PM
I would recommend you do this at night. Sometimes the tar will ignite. Your neighbors will think your burning tires by the amount of smoke generated...Ray

EDG
04-12-2013, 01:04 PM
Cut the clean lead off and throw into your dutch over or equivalent.
Melt the clean metal. Once you have a good puddle of molten metal lay the tarred metal on top slowly.
This will melt the tarred metal and leave the tar on top so you can skim it off ASAP.

merlin101
04-12-2013, 01:40 PM
I would recommend you do this at night. Sometimes the tar will ignite. Your neighbors will think your burning tires by the amount of smoke generated...Ray

I second that, a cold night is best, that way windows are closed!

shadowcaster
04-12-2013, 06:52 PM
Cut the clean lead off and throw into your dutch over or equivalent.
Melt the clean metal. Once you have a good puddle of molten metal lay the tarred metal on top slowly.
This will melt the tarred metal and leave the tar on top so you can skim it off ASAP.

This is good advice.. Also flux well with lots of sawdust before you start skimming.

Shad